do 135x15 tires need tubes?

Old May 21st 10, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
VFW

Default do 135x15 tires need tubes?

I've always put tubes in them, but just yesterday my tire shop assured
me that since they are labeled "Tube-less" they don't need 'em.
Your take. We are using the eight spoke "empi" alloy wheels. and they
are going on the front of my Ghia.
Today I watched the odometer turn to 80,000 , I think it's been around
more than once.
--
Enjoy this moment ! Thanks. g.
Old May 21st 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"VFW" > wrote in message
> I've always put tubes in them, but just yesterday my tire shop assured
> me that since they are labeled "Tube-less" they don't need 'em.
> Your take. We are using the eight spoke "empi" alloy wheels. and they
> are going on the front of my Ghia.
> Today I watched the odometer turn to 80,000 , I think it's been around
> more than once.

with 135's stretched over those rims, that odometer will spin much faster...
the only place I'd run a 135 is in the trunk as a limited use spare...

Old May 21st 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
VFW

In article >,
"Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

> "VFW" > wrote in message
> > I've always put tubes in them, but just yesterday my tire shop assured
> > me that since they are labeled "Tube-less" they don't need 'em.
> > Your take. We are using the eight spoke "empi" alloy wheels. and they
> > are going on the front of my Ghia.
> > Today I watched the odometer turn to 80,000 , I think it's been around
> > more than once.

> with 135's stretched over those rims, that odometer will spin much faster...
> the only place I'd run a 135 is in the trunk as a limited use spare...

talk about false sense of security, I paid a local tire place to mount a
pair awhile back. and they argued that they didn't need tubes. They read
the sidewall. I said , oh, it's always been done on the 135's.
so, he said he would follow my instructions. and it turned out he
mounted one with the tube and the other w/o. He must have pinched the
tube and didn't want to tell me.
years later, I didn't notice the difference.
Now, neither front tire is tubed. The only complaint I have , is the
smaller foot-print presents problems if I slam the disc brakes. a
lock-up. Makes installing a 1915 cc. motor doubtful.
--
Enjoy this moment ! Thanks. g.
Old May 22nd 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"VFW" > wrote in message
> The only complaint I have , is the
> smaller foot-print presents problems if I slam the disc brakes. a
> lock-up. Makes installing a 1915 cc. motor doubtful.

not to sound like an ass, which it may sound that way, but, if your braking
is not controlled it doesn't matter what engine you have behind you.... my
car stops exactly the same with my turbo charged mouse motor as it did as a
normally aspirated mouse... I'd venture to say it would stop the same with a
stock engine in it too...

Old May 22nd 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
VFW

In article >,
"Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

> "VFW" > wrote in message
> > The only complaint I have , is the
> > smaller foot-print presents problems if I slam the disc brakes. a
> > lock-up. Makes installing a 1915 cc. motor doubtful.

> not to sound like an ass, which it may sound that way, but, if your braking
> is not controlled it doesn't matter what engine you have behind you.... my
> car stops exactly the same with my turbo charged mouse motor as it did as a
> normally aspirated mouse... I'd venture to say it would stop the same with a
> stock engine in it too...

I think I was referring to the tendency to push the roller a little bit
harder. Yes, I have a roller gas "pedal". the wife doesn't like it. I
don't think about it.
--
Enjoy this moment ! Thanks. g.
Old May 22nd 10, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"VFW" > wrote in message
> I think I was referring to the tendency to push the roller a little bit
> harder. Yes, I have a roller gas "pedal". the wife doesn't like it. I
> don't think about it.

I guess... hell I don't push the pedal any further in my stock engined ghia
to go 70mph than I do in my turbo'd mouse engined bug.... The roller pedal
is okay, if not a bit odd and needs to be "gotten used to"....

Old August 6th 10, 11:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

On 21/05/10 07:43, VFW wrote:
> I've always put tubes in them, but just yesterday my tire shop assured
> me that since they are labeled "Tube-less" they don't need 'em.
> Your take. We are using the eight spoke "empi" alloy wheels. and they
> are going on the front of my Ghia.
> Today I watched the odometer turn to 80,000 , I think it's been around
> more than once.

I'd say it's the rim which defines if you have to use tube or not, old rims
were not air tight as they weren't supposed to be, either.

I don't remember the exact year VW officially changed to tubeless tires but
it's at latest in -66 (slotted rims instead of solid ones for Beetle),
probably earlier.

Eight spoke spells four lug rim, definitely tubeless for those.

Original tire size width was 5.40", which is 137mm, so 135R15 gives nice
original look, I bought those for my smaller Ghia too. Rear tires are
165/65-15 by the best VW traditions.

--
Tuomas
'63 typ14, '65 typ34, '61 typ2

FS: 40 HP Pushrod Tubes Mel P.[_2_] VW air cooled 0 November 9th 08 11:57 PM
j-tubes for a 79 bus David VW air cooled 3 December 24th 06 05:14 AM
Vaccuum tubes Branden Nelsen BMW 19 December 12th 05 02:28 AM
WTB 135X15 tires. A Veteran for Peace VW air cooled 1 October 12th 05 08:29 PM
Best Price on 135x15 tires? A Veteran for Peace VW air cooled 0 September 16th 05 05:23 PM