Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & conversions?

Old November 16th 18, 09:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
arlen michael holder

Default Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & conversions?

Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
alignment measurements & conversions?

I openly admit that the (conversion) math makes my head explode.

Only someone who has done their own alignment at home would understand why
I say the math makes my head explode - which is where a cellphone app could
play a key role in simplifying things.

You see, what you measure at home for an alignment is (almost) NEVER what
the spec actually is. Why? I can't tell you why. I can just tell you that
it always seems that you have to CONVERT your measurements to the spec.

For example, my ancient bimmer has toe spec'd in degrees, but, at home, you
typically measure toe in inches, not in degrees ... simply because it's
trivial to measure toe in inches at home to the desired accuracy (all you
need is a home-made U-shaped toe rod where you mark the tire centerline at
a certain height and then lock the toe rod into place for a subsequent
distance measurement).

Luckily, instead of in degrees, most American cars (thankfully) seem to
spec toe in inches (which, for once, makes sense), but of course, it's
often inches to centerline, where you then have to figure out what they
define as the centerline (which can be different on every vehicle).

For camber, at least you normally get a spec in degrees, but you can rather
easily measure camber in inches using just a plumb bob and a ruler, so
again, you have to convert (using basic trig) from inches to degrees.

Meanwhile, you compute caster from the other measurements.

The point is that (a) each vehicle is different in how it differs from (a)
the specs it gives you, and (b) the specs you can easily measure at home to
the required precision & repeatability.

IMHO, all the work is NOT in the measurements themselves, nor is there
much additional work in the adjustments (twisting a bolt is easy, and even
easier to replicate the normal position of the vehicle with niceties like
toe plates and camber jigs).

IMHO ... *All the work is in the math.*

That's where an app that measures angles and which can take as input
distances, can be a wonderful app that, to my knowledge, doesn't exist yet.

Hence, the question...

Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
alignment measurements & calculations?

--
Note: Basic home alignment is restricted, by definition, to those things
that you typically ADJUST (without adding, for example, camber plates).
Old November 16th 18, 10:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkie®

arlen michael holder posted for all of us...

> Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
> alignment measurements & conversions?
>
> I openly admit that the (conversion) math makes my head explode.
>
> Only someone who has done their own alignment at home would understand why
> I say the math makes my head explode - which is where a cellphone app could
> play a key role in simplifying things.
>
> You see, what you measure at home for an alignment is (almost) NEVER what
> the spec actually is. Why? I can't tell you why. I can just tell you that
> it always seems that you have to CONVERT your measurements to the spec.
>
> For example, my ancient bimmer has toe spec'd in degrees, but, at home, you
> typically measure toe in inches, not in degrees ... simply because it's
> trivial to measure toe in inches at home to the desired accuracy (all you
> need is a home-made U-shaped toe rod where you mark the tire centerline at
> a certain height and then lock the toe rod into place for a subsequent
> distance measurement).
>
> Luckily, instead of in degrees, most American cars (thankfully) seem to
> spec toe in inches (which, for once, makes sense), but of course, it's
> often inches to centerline, where you then have to figure out what they
> define as the centerline (which can be different on every vehicle).
>
> For camber, at least you normally get a spec in degrees, but you can rather
> easily measure camber in inches using just a plumb bob and a ruler, so
> again, you have to convert (using basic trig) from inches to degrees.
>
> Meanwhile, you compute caster from the other measurements.
>
> The point is that (a) each vehicle is different in how it differs from (a)
> the specs it gives you, and (b) the specs you can easily measure at home to
> the required precision & repeatability.
>
> IMHO, all the work is NOT in the measurements themselves, nor is there
> much additional work in the adjustments (twisting a bolt is easy, and even
> easier to replicate the normal position of the vehicle with niceties like
> toe plates and camber jigs).
>
> IMHO ... *All the work is in the math.*
>
> That's where an app that measures angles and which can take as input
> distances, can be a wonderful app that, to my knowledge, doesn't exist yet.
>
> Hence, the question...
>
> Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
> alignment measurements & calculations?

I presume you mean vehicle alignment?

Not to be negative but how many times would the average homeowner use this?
Since you wrote that other app write one for this. You could write it just
for the sheer joy. The spec input would be quite a project. I don't see the
market for it as alignment machines are computerized and take specs into
account.

I do not want to discourage you but a spreadsheet might be an easier task.
Are there spreadsheet apps for phones? I do not put apps on my phones as I
am confused enough with the junk that is already on there. I admit I am a
dinosaur.
--
Tekkie
Old November 16th 18, 10:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
SOHCAHTOA

On 11/16/2018 3:16 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
> Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
> alignment measurements & conversions?
>
> I openly admit that the (conversion) math makes my head explode.

That will teach you to sleep through Trigonometry 101

Old November 17th 18, 12:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski[_3_]

On 11/16/2018 3:16 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
> Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
> alignment measurements & conversions?

When my home was built, the builder aligned the foundation with the
street. I never measured, but it does not appear to have changed in the
37 years I've been here. Never looked for an app to check it.
Old November 17th 18, 02:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Hank Rogers[_2_]

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/16/2018 3:16 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
>> Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
>> alignment measurements & conversions?
>>

> When my home was built, the builder aligned the foundation with the
> street. I never measured, but it does not appear to have changed in the
> 37 years I've been here. Never looked for an app to check it.

I think he is looking for an electronic app to align his penis with the
target. Probably a blind man.

Old November 17th 18, 03:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
arlen michael holder

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 16:36:06 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

> I presume you mean vehicle alignment?

Yeah. Vehicle suspension alignment (hence the cross post to r.a.t).

I realize, from the jokes thpough, which I admit are funny, that a "home
alignment" isn't needed, except, maybe, in California after an earthquake.

> Not to be negative but how many times would the average homeowner use this?

There are six relatively common automotive tasks nobody does at home, one
of which is vehicle alignment, so, for today, the answer is zero average
homeowners..

However...

Things are changing, where the phone has so much power, that you do stuff
with the phone that you couldn't do when we were younger.

One thing you can "do" with a phone is vehicle suspension alignment checks.

> Since you wrote that other app write one for this.

Actually, I've written 8 apps in the past few days...
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5714883androidstudio82.jpg>
app01 === "hello world"
app02 === "enter text, press button, shows up in next screen"
app03 === adder of two numbers
app04 === working port of the previous app (no small feat)
app05 === opening of an outside activity (web browser)
app06 === simple grocery list
app07 === variable-seed random die cast
app08 === Custom port of the simple grocery app to my grocery store

My first "real" app will be a ten-minute timer that is so easy to set that
it takes only a single button press, which is to forestall me burning the
house down because setting a multi-press timer is too onerous when I make
coffee (I've ruined plenty of pots).

My second real app will be a camera app that you can use while working on
the car, where, if you've never tried the existing camera apps in low
light, under a car, holding the starter motor in one hand (which might as
well be a cannon ball), and then focusing with the LED flashlight, and then
snapping the shot with gloved hands, etc., without accidentally hitting the
"selfie" button, and without having to worry about the settings reverting
back to what they were because you took too much time setting it up.

After that, who knows ... what kind of app do you need for home-repair use?

> You could write it just
> for the sheer joy. The spec input would be quite a project. I don't see the
> market for it as alignment machines are computerized and take specs into
> account.

I think you figured out my plan, which is, of course, to write the app
(eventually); but I'm so far from being able to do that at this point that
it's not a viable suggestion.

The question is only whether you know if the app already exists.

> I do not want to discourage you but a spreadsheet might be an easier task.
> Are there spreadsheet apps for phones? I do not put apps on my phones as I
> am confused enough with the junk that is already on there. I admit I am a
> dinosaur.

Sure, spreadsheets work on mobile devices, but spreadsheets are a far cry
from an alignment app.

An alignment app walks you though the steps for your particular vehicle,
e.g., for camber, it might start with...
o CAMBER:
Place phone edge alongside wheel & press button when degrees stabilize.
o TOE
Tape laser to front wheels & enter distance to wall

There are likely zero alignment apps to date, which means the market is
wide open, but I first wanted to check.
Old November 17th 18, 04:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 11/16/2018 02:36 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
> Not to be negative but how many times would the average homeowner use this?
> Since you wrote that other app write one for this. You could write it just
> for the sheer joy. The spec input would be quite a project. I don't see the
> market for it as alignment machines are computerized and take specs into
> account.

I'm getting a little deja vu about this poster...
Old November 17th 18, 05:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/11/18 1:10 pm, arlen michael holder wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 16:36:06 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:
>
>> I presume you mean vehicle alignment?

> Yeah. Vehicle suspension alignment (hence the cross post to r.a.t).
>
> I realize, from the jokes thpough, which I admit are funny, that a "home
> alignment" isn't needed, except, maybe, in California after an earthquake.
>
>> Not to be negative but how many times would the average homeowner use this?

> There are six relatively common automotive tasks nobody does at home, one
> of which is vehicle alignment, so, for today, the answer is zero average
> homeowners..

You will find that average will remain at zero because wheel alignments
are not the simple tasks they once were since now it usually involves 4
wheels, not two. Get it wrong, you create a very dangerous car.

> However...
>
> Things are changing, where the phone has so much power, that you do stuff
> with the phone that you couldn't do when we were younger.
>
> One thing you can "do" with a phone is vehicle suspension alignment checks.
>
>> Since you wrote that other app write one for this.

> Actually, I've written 8 apps in the past few days...
> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5714883androidstudio82.jpg>
> app01 === "hello world"
> app02 === "enter text, press button, shows up in next screen"
> app03 === adder of two numbers
> app04 === working port of the previous app (no small feat)
> app05 === opening of an outside activity (web browser)
> app06 === simple grocery list
> app07 === variable-seed random die cast
> app08 === Custom port of the simple grocery app to my grocery store
>
> My first "real" app will be a ten-minute timer that is so easy to set that
> it takes only a single button press, which is to forestall me burning the
> house down because setting a multi-press timer is too onerous when I make
> coffee (I've ruined plenty of pots).

They make auto off electric jugs just for people like you. No need for a
timer.

> My second real app will be a camera app that you can use while working on
> the car, where, if you've never tried the existing camera apps in low
> light, under a car, holding the starter motor in one hand (which might as
> well be a cannon ball), and then focusing with the LED flashlight, and then
> snapping the shot with gloved hands, etc., without accidentally hitting the
> "selfie" button, and without having to worry about the settings reverting
> back to what they were because you took too much time setting it up.
>
> After that, who knows ... what kind of app do you need for home-repair use?
>
>> You could write it just
>> for the sheer joy. The spec input would be quite a project. I don't see the
>> market for it as alignment machines are computerized and take specs into
>> account.

> I think you figured out my plan, which is, of course, to write the app
> (eventually); but I'm so far from being able to do that at this point that
> it's not a viable suggestion.
>
> The question is only whether you know if the app already exists.
>
>> I do not want to discourage you but a spreadsheet might be an easier task.
>> Are there spreadsheet apps for phones? I do not put apps on my phones as I
>> am confused enough with the junk that is already on there. I admit I am a
>> dinosaur.

> Sure, spreadsheets work on mobile devices, but spreadsheets are a far cry
> from an alignment app.
>
> An alignment app walks you though the steps for your particular vehicle,
> e.g., for camber, it might start with...
> o CAMBER:
> Place phone edge alongside wheel & press button when degrees stabilize.
> o TOE
> Tape laser to front wheels & enter distance to wall
>
> There are likely zero alignment apps to date, which means the market is
> wide open, but I first wanted to check.

There is a reason there are zero alignment apps - because it isn't as
simple as you make it out to be.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old November 17th 18, 05:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/11/18 2:03 pm, rbowman wrote:
> On 11/16/2018 02:36 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
>> Not to be negative but how many times would the average homeowner use
>> this?
>> Since you wrote that other app write one for this. You could write it
>> just
>> for the sheer joy. The spec input would be quite a project. I don't
>> see the
>> market for it as alignment machines are computerized and take specs into
>> account.

> I'm getting a little deja vu about this poster...

You too, huh?

Old November 17th 18, 09:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 11/16/2018 2:16 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
> Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
> alignment measurements & conversions?
>
> I openly admit that the (conversion) math makes my head explode.
>
> Only someone who has done their own alignment at home would understand why
> I say the math makes my head explode - which is where a cellphone app could
> play a key role in simplifying things.
>
> You see, what you measure at home for an alignment is (almost) NEVER what
> the spec actually is. Why? I can't tell you why. I can just tell you that
> it always seems that you have to CONVERT your measurements to the spec.
>
> For example, my ancient bimmer has toe spec'd in degrees, but, at home, you
> typically measure toe in inches, not in degrees ... simply because it's
> trivial to measure toe in inches at home to the desired accuracy (all you
> need is a home-made U-shaped toe rod where you mark the tire centerline at
> a certain height and then lock the toe rod into place for a subsequent
> distance measurement).
>
> Luckily, instead of in degrees, most American cars (thankfully) seem to
> spec toe in inches (which, for once, makes sense), but of course, it's
> often inches to centerline, where you then have to figure out what they
> define as the centerline (which can be different on every vehicle).
>
> For camber, at least you normally get a spec in degrees, but you can rather
> easily measure camber in inches using just a plumb bob and a ruler, so
> again, you have to convert (using basic trig) from inches to degrees.
>
> Meanwhile, you compute caster from the other measurements.
>
> The point is that (a) each vehicle is different in how it differs from (a)
> the specs it gives you, and (b) the specs you can easily measure at home to
> the required precision & repeatability.
>
> IMHO, all the work is NOT in the measurements themselves, nor is there
> much additional work in the adjustments (twisting a bolt is easy, and even
> easier to replicate the normal position of the vehicle with niceties like
> toe plates and camber jigs).
>
> IMHO ... *All the work is in the math.*
>
> That's where an app that measures angles and which can take as input
> distances, can be a wonderful app that, to my knowledge, doesn't exist yet.
>
> Hence, the question...
>
> Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
> alignment measurements & calculations?

Here you a

https://dexadine.com/WhatMOA.htm

To express minute of angle in inches you just need the
distance from target. You may be going at alignment along
the hardest possible route but not as complex as ballistics.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>