Rear gear change in '91

Old February 4th 05, 11:02 PM
5point0

Default Rear gear change in '91

I am thinking of swapping the stock 3.08's for 3.55's in my '91 rear
end. A friend told be that it's not a good idea because the gears are
normally lapped at the factory and if I replace them, my diff is going to
howl. Can anybody comment on this?

I am also toying with the idea of replacing the carrier assy. with
either a new limited slip or possibly a locker. Is this something the home
mechanic should try or am I better off getting a mechanic to do it? Is it
simply a tedious thing or does it take special tools?

Old February 5th 05, 04:05 AM
Dave Wick

I'll agree with a few things and add more.

If your car is normally aspirated, I'd go with the 3.73s. I love mine.
Turbo or supercharged? 3.55s are probably better.

There are some relatively specialized tools and measurements required in
properly changing the gear ratios. I'd suggest a shop.

RE whether or not to change the actual differential: I've had one of the
expensive after-market diffs in mine and I'm now back to the factory unit.
It's been rebuilt and had clutch disks added to tighten it up even more.
I'm sold that this is the way to go. Yeah, I'll burn it out eventually and
have to rebuild it. But I CAN do that. The expensive unit from the other
Co. can't be rebuilt. Burn it out and replace it ... very expensive.

Dave

Old February 5th 05, 07:24 AM
Jim Warman

Well.... if your friend replaces the gears, you can expect them to howl....
However, if they are installed properly, there will be no problem. You can
either trust your friend or you can trust a mechanic. ne last thing... if
you are going to trust a cheap mechanic, you might be better off trusting
your friend.

There are good mechanics and bad mechanics...... don't even pretend to think
that a good mechanic will be happy with bad mehanic wages.

Old February 7th 05, 04:06 AM

I agree with Jim fully. Get it done by a reputable mechanic.. and yes, you
will pay a little more, but it will last. Btw... check www.mustangtuning.com
for the gears. Best prices I've seen!

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old February 11th 05, 03:24 PM
Hooked 87

If is a manual 3.73 you'll be starting off in second normal driving and
dont't think about going over 100 without screaming. If you have the
money have drivetrain direct build it for you and ship it. I had one
built using 31 spline and no c-clips shipped for $1100. I has been a
few years but it was an easy swap that you can do with a friend in you
driveway. I asked and they recommended 3.27 if your going to add a
blower.
Good luck!
Hooked 87