1997 SC2 Completely Dead, No Power, Not Dead Battery

Old November 12th 05, 12:45 AM
getjer1

Default 1997 SC2 Completely Dead, No Power, Not Dead Battery

I am (was) driving a 1997 SaturnWhen I went out t start my car today
everything was normal until i tried to start the car. I used the remote to
unlock the car as normal, and when I put the key in the ignition and turned
it to the first position, I got the normal chime. But as soon as I trired to
actually start the car, everything went dead, the chime, interior lights, and
even the stereo, completely dark. I tired taking the key out and trying again
to no avail. I even tried taking the transmission out of park and into
neutral, still no luck. I tired a combination of things and nothing seemed to
bring the car back from the dead. There was no sign of clicking from the
starter, and nothing as far as the engine even trying to turn over, there was
absolutely no electrical power. After a few minutes, I noticed there was a
clicking noise coming from what seemed to be the rear passenger side of the
car, but when I further investigated it, I couldnt seem to find exactly where
it was coming from. I live in the mountains, about 2 hours from the closest
repair facility of any kind, any quick fixes to get the car going again, and
to a shop would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jeremy.
Old November 12th 05, 12:54 AM
Bob Shuman

Check your battery cables. Should be clean and tight. Clean them with a
wire brush. Check your battery voltage using a voltmeter. Should be 13.8V
or so without load. Then jump start since it sounds like you have either a
dead battery, or a bad aternator, or possibly both.

Good luck.

Bob

Old November 12th 05, 01:16 AM
Jeremy

Are there any other possibilities, as it seems as if the battery is fine, as
the power was ok as I turned the key to the first position, but when I tried
to start it is when everything blacked out. Thanks for your help, all
suggestions are appreciated!

-Jeremy

Old November 12th 05, 05:11 AM
Bob Shuman

Just because your dome light lit and the ignition went on does not mean "the
battery is fine". The starter draws hundreds of instantaneous amps. The
dome light is just a miniscule fraction of that. Again, check the battery
with a voltmeter both at rest and while attempting to start. Post your
results here. Also, remove and clean the battery cables with a wire brush
and re-tighten them.

If you no longer have a dome light, lights do not work, etc, then I'd bet it
is the cable connections or possibly a completely open cell or internal
connection to the battery post. This is the first and easiest place to
start.

Bob

Old November 15th 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:45:39 GMT, "getjer1" <u15665@uwe> wrote:

>I am (was) driving a 1997 SaturnWhen I went out t start my car today
>everything was normal until i tried to start the car. I used the remote to
>unlock the car as normal, and when I put the key in the ignition and turned
>it to the first position, I got the normal chime. But as soon as I trired to
>actually start the car, everything went dead, the chime, interior lights, and
>even the stereo, completely dark. I tired taking the key out and trying again
>to no avail. I even tried taking the transmission out of park and into
>neutral, still no luck. I tired a combination of things and nothing seemed to
>bring the car back from the dead. There was no sign of clicking from the
>starter, and nothing as far as the engine even trying to turn over, there was
>absolutely no electrical power. After a few minutes, I noticed there was a
>clicking noise coming from what seemed to be the rear passenger side of the
>car, but when I further investigated it, I couldnt seem to find exactly where
>it was coming from. I live in the mountains, about 2 hours from the closest
>repair facility of any kind, any quick fixes to get the car going again, and
>to a shop would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jeremy.

Fuses?

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old November 16th 05, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Most likely battery or alternator. If you have a stick you can just
push it to start it otherwise you'll need a jump.

Old November 17th 05, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

wrote:
> Most likely battery or alternator. If you have a stick you can just
> push it to start it otherwise you'll need a jump.

Last I knew you can push a car all day with a dead battery and
alternator system and it won't start.

Old November 17th 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

wrote:
> Most likely battery or alternator. If you have a stick you can just
> push it to start it otherwise you'll need a jump.

Last I knew you can push a car all day with alternator system and a
dead battery and it won't start.

Old November 17th 05, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

As long as the alt is good you can....Did it for 2 weeks on my 94 until I
got around to getting a battery. Always made sure I parked on a hill though
just because I didn't feel like pushing a car in a tie, none the less
getting harassed by coworkers as I run by the office window with my car

Just make sure you'll be rolling in the right direction or you could do some
damage....(eg. rolling forward, pop clutch in 1st gear, rolling backward pop
clutch in reverse.)

Living that far out of town though, I would invest in a battery charger.
Even doing something silly and leave the map/interior lights on overnight
will leave you stranded with no other vehicle or people to help ya out....

Just a thought...

Scott

oups.com...

Old November 18th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

The engine has no way of knowing if it's being spun by a starter or via the
clutch. BUT, they absolutely will NOT start IF the battery is stone dead.
The alternator will not excite unless there is some voltage there to do it.

--
Steve Barker