Who woulda thunk . . . .

Old September 8th 14, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default Who woulda thunk . . . .

"Budd Cochran" > wrote in message
> The engine on my 89 XJ (renix 4.0) would run better with 92 XJ (Mopar 4.0
> HO) injectors.
>
> Did an injector swap today and had a bit of difficulty with O-Rings
> wanting to slice on the fuel rail end but he darn thing starts easier,
> runs a lot better and hopefully won't get worse MPG.
>
> --
> Budd
>
> " I looked into an exercise plan at a local gym but they didn't
> offer my favorite exercise: Diddly Squats.
>
> So I can't do Diddly Squats."
>

> ---
> protection is active.

Filled up on the 3rd after a tune-up with Champion plugs and new airflilter
and 139.2 mles later (including a trip from Canon City to Colorado Springs
and return) 28.06 mpg.

But I'm going to double check it because only about 20 miles was city
driving.

--
Budd

---

Old September 9th 14, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea

Budd Cochran wrote:

> Filled up on the 3rd after a tune-up with Champion plugs and new
> airflilter and 139.2 mles later (including a trip from Canon City to
> Colorado Springs and return) 28.06 mpg.
>
> But I'm going to double check it because only about 20 miles was city
> driving.

Bud, I made the mistake of having my daughter pick up a set of plugs for me.
She took what the book at AutoZone said - some Champion platinum or the
other. At least she got the Champion part of the equation right. Being a
bit lazy and forgetting past experience, I put them in - then satrted to
recall WHY I specified the old copper based truck parts. It ate those fancy
long life plugs in under 2000 miles.

I'll have to look up the exact number, but someone - likely Mike Romain on
this forum - got on this several years ago and pointed me to a specific
Champion plug that turned out to last longer and ran noticeably better than
the ones the book calls for. I think the Champion part number was 3310 but
I'll double check when the company leaves Friday. Made a world of
difference for me. The summer I spent running back and forth between the
Springs and Abilene, TX I was getting 27+ on the highway with the a/c
running full bore all summer.

--
Will Honea

Old September 9th 14, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
> Budd Cochran wrote:
>
>> Filled up on the 3rd after a tune-up with Champion plugs and new
>> airflilter and 139.2 mles later (including a trip from Canon City to
>> Colorado Springs and return) 28.06 mpg.
>>
>> But I'm going to double check it because only about 20 miles was city
>> driving.
>>

> Bud, I made the mistake of having my daughter pick up a set of plugs for
> me.
> She took what the book at AutoZone said - some Champion platinum or the
> other. At least she got the Champion part of the equation right. Being a
> bit lazy and forgetting past experience, I put them in - then satrted to
> recall WHY I specified the old copper based truck parts. It ate those
> fancy
> long life plugs in under 2000 miles.
>
> I'll have to look up the exact number, but someone - likely Mike Romain on
> this forum - got on this several years ago and pointed me to a specific
> Champion plug that turned out to last longer and ran noticeably better
> than
> the ones the book calls for. I think the Champion part number was 3310
> but
> I'll double check when the company leaves Friday. Made a world of
> difference for me. The summer I spent running back and forth between the
> Springs and Abilene, TX I was getting 27+ on the highway with the a/c
> running full bore all summer.
>
> --
> Will Honea

I usually buy the cheapies, the copper core (RN9YC, iirc, for the 4.0)
plugs.

Single side electrode, full size center electrode (platinum plugs have an
undersized center electrode and I was taught that to get more current (flow)
thru a small conductor you needed more voltage (pressure) and a 0.036" gap.

In all honesty, with resistor plug wires I'd rather have the old
non-resistor plugs (Champion N9YC for the 4.0) or the old wire type plug
wires with resistor plugs ... less overall resistance equals fatter sparks
equals easier starts in the cold better performance and economy.

--
Budd

---

Whoda thunk it Dad[_1_] Corvette 4 October 30th 12 12:25 PM
10 years ago who would have thunk this? [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 June 30th 05 03:20 AM
Thunk on 2nd to 3rd shift Mr. Mark Ford Mustang 3 April 13th 05 11:46 AM
2002 Transmission "Thunk" [email protected] Ford Explorer 5 April 5th 05 11:39 PM
Thunk sound [email protected] Jeep 7 January 24th 05 11:46 PM