Clutch adjustment?

Old May 23rd 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
help-slip-franklin

Default Clutch adjustment?

Mates,
Is it possible to adjust the clutch on a '94 YJ? It has 80,000 miles on it
and the clutch just is not as crisp as it once was and sometimes it is
difficult to shift from first to second and second into first. I've had
vehicles in the past that had simple adjustments that could be made at the
pedal of just inside the firewall, but I can find no such devices on the YJ.
Thanks in advance.
H-S-F

Old May 23rd 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Unfortunately none, it is a hydraulic self adjusting one.

A weak or torn engine mount or tranny mount can cause your symptoms by
allowing the tranny to shift over a bit.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old May 23rd 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Help-Slip-Franklin wrote:

> Mates,
> Is it possible to adjust the clutch on a '94 YJ? It has 80,000 miles on it
> and the clutch just is not as crisp as it once was and sometimes it is
> difficult to shift from first to second and second into first. I've had
> vehicles in the past that had simple adjustments that could be made at the
> pedal of just inside the firewall, but I can find no such devices on the
> YJ. Thanks in advance.
> H-S-F

You have a hydraulic clutch in that YJ. About all you can do is bleed the
line. You may have a leaking cylinder - check it by flooring the clutch
and see if the clutch slowly engages as you hold it down. If not, you are
probably due for a clutch job - clutch disk and likely a new pressure
plate. Might as well replace the throw out bearing in the process since
you will have the transmission out. If it's a leaking cylinder, you have
the external slave so it's a simple external fix to replace the
master/slave cylinders.

--
Will Honea

Clutch Adjustment? Joe[_6_] Saturn 1 July 29th 06 09:40 AM
Clutch Adjustment Joe[_6_] Saturn 0 July 28th 06 12:26 PM
Clutch Adjustment Possible Wileyman Mazda 3 March 31st 06 03:45 AM
Adjustment of new clutch azazel scratch VW air cooled 2 March 11th 06 06:57 PM
92 1.8l clutch adjustment Shawn Mazda 0 July 19th 05 02:35 PM