Bendix should never have been allowed to partner with Renault

Old April 5th 15, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default Bendix should never have been allowed to partner with Renault

Or the continuing saga of the hiccuping '89 XJ.

I got the new ICM installed and it didn't help a bit.

30 seconds after first start after the install and the durn thing died.

Oh, it did restart ... after sitting for an hour, so I double checked
everything ... except fuel rail pressure.

So I let it sit a while, restarted (it chugged and missed for about 3
minutes), died quickly, and I bled the fuel rail and the fuel dribbled out.

I had an epiphany on top of my headache: new fuel filter but no
pressure?? Gotta be the pump.

So I dug out my spare pump from a '92 XJ and replaced the pump I had put
in from my old '88 XJ when I replaced it needlessly (The '88's issue was
the fuel line pulling off the pump due to the lack of the stabilizing
cone on the bottom) because the pump went suddenly out on the '89.

Well, it started and ran pretty smooth other than one hiccup at 40 mph
after running for over thirty minutes.

Still, I'm going to try short runs for a few days to be sure.

God!!! How I miss Carter carbs, Mopar electronic ignition and
TorqueCommand (Chrysler TorqueFlites drilled for AMC engines) 3 speed
automatics.

Budd

---

Old April 5th 15, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

On 4/4/2015 10:20 PM, Budd Cochran wrote:
> Or the continuing saga of the hiccuping '89 XJ.
>
> I got the new ICM installed and it didn't help a bit.
>
> 30 seconds after first start after the install and the durn thing died.
>
> Oh, it did restart ... after sitting for an hour, so I double checked
> everything ... except fuel rail pressure.
>
> So I let it sit a while, restarted (it chugged and missed for about 3
> minutes), died quickly, and I bled the fuel rail and the fuel dribbled out.
>
> I had an epiphany on top of my headache: new fuel filter but no
> pressure?? Gotta be the pump.
>
> So I dug out my spare pump from a '92 XJ and replaced the pump I had put
> in from my old '88 XJ when I replaced it needlessly (The '88's issue was
> the fuel line pulling off the pump due to the lack of the stabilizing
> cone on the bottom) because the pump went suddenly out on the '89.
>
> Well, it started and ran pretty smooth other than one hiccup at 40 mph
> after running for over thirty minutes.
>
> Still, I'm going to try short runs for a few days to be sure.
>
> God!!! How I miss Carter carbs, Mopar electronic ignition and
> TorqueCommand (Chrysler TorqueFlites drilled for AMC engines) 3 speed
> automatics.
>
> Budd
>
> ---
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

It shut down completely this A.M. and wouldn't restart for an hour.

Anybody want to buy an XJ cheap???

Budd

---