Canada unveils new speed bump: optical illusion of a child

Old September 12th 10, 09:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
APLer

Default Canada unveils new speed bump: optical illusion of a child

"hls" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>> http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=295356
>>
>> That's crazy!
>> cuhulin

> I dunno....sort of makes sense. This would not seem to endanger any
> children any
> more than they are already endangered.
>
> They are trying to get traffic to slow down.. Maybe a ranger with a
> machine gun
> would do the trick.

The idea of a radar controlled pop-up spike strip comes to mind.

Old September 12th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_4_]

On 9/9/2010 4:41 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2010-09-09, > wrote:
>> wrote in
>> :

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=295356

>>> That's crazy!
>>> cuhulin
>>>

>> Some politician who rose higher than his/her mental capacity would be
>> responsible for this one I guess.

> Just wait until the first kid is killed because some driver thought the
> kid was just one of those government installed optical illusions.

Evidently, the drivers in Canada just won't stop for cars or buses - I
would have just drawn a picture of a brick wall. To make sure that
drivers will slow down, you could make one out of every ten real brick
walls. :-)
Old September 13th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Something a little different, self driving rocks.
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=295543

I think it's freezing and thawing causing those rocks to move.Perhaps
some Earthquake murmors too.
George Noory would say there are little animals on Mars driving those
around the racetrack.
cuhulin

Old September 13th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
chuckcar

wrote in
:

> Something a little different, self driving rocks.

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=295543

> I think it's freezing and thawing causing those rocks to move.Perhaps
> some Earthquake murmors too.
> George Noory would say there are little animals on Mars driving those
> around the racetrack.

Riight. Such things could *never* be done by a person. However, there
*are* glacial causes for just that. The glacier picks up the rock, it
gradually works it's way onto the top of the glacier and then drops down
into the glacier until it's once again at ground level. At that point
the rock - being much harder than the surrounding ice - cuts a groove in
the underlying rock for as long as the glavier continues to advance.
That can be hundreds or even thousands of miles. And if there's no
plants or erosion, that mark can last for thousands of years.

I see no mention of anyone bothering to map the terrain for slight
elevation changes either. That would be the first thing I'd do.

As far as I know, that is the only place on earth where such is
happening BTW. Something that makes it being a natural cause suspect
IMHO.

It's also interesting that the term peripatetic is *not* a term
scientists use, but is taken from Aristotle - his name for his school of
philosphy. As a result finding any actual scientific solution to this
riddle becomes virtually impossible. At least using web searches. The
only thing close I found was someone retracing Einstiens footsteps after
he left Germany.

--

(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

The Illusion of Miles Per Gallon gpsman Driving 7 June 24th 08 01:53 PM
sudden problem over speed bump Bob[_41_] Dodge 7 March 4th 08 11:18 AM
TSW Optical encoders Ron Simulators 4 August 8th 06 02:34 PM
94 Dodge Caravan makes grinding bump, bump, bump noise choppermike Dodge 0 April 20th 06 11:48 PM
Is Momo Racing optical? Richard S Beckett Simulators 6 December 22nd 04 10:16 AM