94 Grand Cherokee with ABS, can I bleed the brakes myself?

Old January 16th 05, 04:12 PM
mic canic

bled the brakes as you with any car without abs the drb is not needed

Old January 16th 05, 08:27 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You mean after you blow the tank?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 16th 05, 11:19 PM
mic canic

you won't blow the tank

Old January 16th 05, 11:44 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Like why even mention the scanner:
http://www.billhughes.com/absbleed.jpg

Old January 16th 05, 11:53 PM
DougW

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> OK. Then what's everyone worried about:
> http://www.spanishtrailrovers.com/Te...bs_brakes.html

Key phrase on that site is "pressure bleeder"
Most backyarders don't have access to one of those, but used the
wrong way you sure can crack the reservoir.

Vac bleeder or having someone press the brakes can't damage
anything in the system. The only probaem crops up if you let the
brake fluid get too low and get air into the ABS pump. At that point
you have to have the Scantool.

Old February 24th 17, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rick Nock, ASE Master Tech, retired Auto Tech Instructor

Default 94 Grand Cherokee with ABS, can I bleed the brakes myself?

replying to SteveBrady, Rick Nock, ASE Master Tech, retired Auto Tech
Instructor wrote:
Self adjusters have been around on drum brakes for decades. Some are cable,
some are linkage and a few odd ones out there. Bendix self energizing brakes
use vehicle direction to multiply the stopping force. These type of brakes
have the shoes installed against a top large anchor pin, with the adjuster on
the bottom. When installed, the lower end of the shoes will move freely with
the top against the anchor pin. When driving forward applying brakes, the
shoes expand against the rotating drum. The rotational force tries to turn the
brake shoe assembly which can't move because the anchor pin stops them. The
front shoe pushes the rear shoe against the brake drum which pushes against
the anchor pin at the top. When operating in forward direction, the rear shoe
does most of the work as the front shoe does not even touch the anchor pin.
The front (primary) shoe usually has a shorter friction pad than the rear
(secondary shoe). The adjuster star wheel generally is closer to the rear shoe
so it can engage in the self adjuster lever. The movement of the shoes
reverses when you back up. It is this motion that allows the adjuster to catch
the next notch on the star wheel. When you release the brake, the return
springs pull the brake shoes back to the anchor pin. If the brakes have worn
enough to require adjusting, this is when the lever will move the star wheel.
Hope this explanation wasn't too complicated.

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/re-9...sel-57254-.htm