Horsepower

Old February 21st 05, 08:11 PM
Arthur

Default Horsepower

If I spend $1,500 on an air filter, injector kit and exhaust system on a
2003 325I, is it worth it and realistically, how much horsepower can I
expect? Also, can I go up two sizes on the Continental tires for width,
etc? I'm new at this so thanks for your response.

Old February 21st 05, 10:53 PM
Somebody

"Arthur" > wrote in message
> If I spend $1,500 on an air filter, injector kit and exhaust system on a
> 2003 325I, is it worth it and realistically, how much horsepower can I
> expect? Also, can I go up two sizes on the Continental tires for width,
> etc? I'm new at this so thanks for your response.

You need a chip that is set up to deal with those exact mods, or you're not
going to get full benefit. What you will get out of them is a guess until
you try it -- assuming a good chip, I'd put my guess at 20HP. It would be
like a pool with people guessing from 15 to 30.

Make sure your air filter isn't sucking in hot engine bay air, or you're
wasting your time with the whole project.

For the tire question, look at what's on there now, turn it full lock in
each direction and look at the clearances you have and figure out from that
how much wider you can get away with. Go to
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html or similar, and play with the
sizes until you find something you like that's within 1.5% of original
circumferance. When you're done find a really good forum for the E46 and
ask them if the tire size you have in mind will rub or not.

-Russ.

Old February 21st 05, 11:56 PM
The Franks

If u want more horsepower get a 330 with sport pkg the filter is not worth
it save your money .

Old February 22nd 05, 02:48 AM
GRL

He's right. Save up. Get a 330i or just trade now on an E36 M3 sedan...or
add a supercharger.

news

Old February 22nd 05, 05:05 AM
tech27

Spend that money on a performance driving school and you'll enjoy your car a
lot more.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:02 PM
The Malt Hound

"tech27" > wrote in message
o.verio.net...
"Arthur" > wrote in message
>> If I spend $1,500 on an air filter, injector kit and exhaust system
>> on a
>> 2003 325I, is it worth it and realistically, how much horsepower
>> can I
>> expect? Also, can I go up two sizes on the Continental tires for
>> width,
>> etc? I'm new at this so thanks for your response.
>>

> Spend that money on a performance driving school and you'll enjoy
> your car a lot more.

Good call. I'm sure that in this case (as in most) this car is faster
than the driver is...

-Fred W

Old February 22nd 05, 10:25 PM
Zon

My vote goes for 5hp.

Please, note that larger wheel is probably heavier than stock, which will
reduce performance. If you add two lbs on each wheel/tire, it has the same
effect than adding 48lbs on trunk (thumb of rule: six times to wheel weight)

T:Z

Old February 22nd 05, 11:42 PM
Arthur

Sorry, I didn't want to come off sounding like a rookie. I've had IROC
Camaro's, '39 Chevy Coupe with a 383 Chrysler motor and 28 years with
the Philadephia Police Dept. so at least I can pursuit drive, so you're
not going to get away. This is my first BMW and it seems a little weak
that's why I wanted to know if it was worth $l,500 for the upgrades.
Thanks for all responses.

Old February 23rd 05, 12:40 AM
fbloogyudsr

"Arthur" > wrote
> Sorry, I didn't want to come off sounding like a rookie. I've had IROC
> Camaro's, '39 Chevy Coupe with a 383 Chrysler motor and 28 years with
> the Philadephia Police Dept. so at least I can pursuit drive, so you're
> not going to get away. This is my first BMW and it seems a little weak
> that's why I wanted to know if it was worth $l,500 for the upgrades.
> Thanks for all responses.

The reality is, modern engines are highly tuned from the factory.
It is very difficult to get much more out of them without major
changes. Even the major tuners (Alpine, Dinan) charge major bucks
for relatively modest HP. The changes you outline won't make significant
impotents; the consensus is that a supercharger is the cheapest and\
best bang for the bucks.

We get many ricer 20-yr olds asking the same question; that's why
you got the answers you got. And good advice it is, too.

Floyd
Old February 23rd 05, 04:21 AM
tech27

"Arthur" > wrote in message
> Sorry, I didn't want to come off sounding like a rookie. I've had IROC
> Camaro's, '39 Chevy Coupe with a 383 Chrysler motor and 28 years with
> the Philadephia Police Dept. so at least I can pursuit drive, so you're
> not going to get away.

Fine and dandy, but can YOU get away? Once you get your Bimmer spewing out
450+ horsepower your going to need some anti-pursuit techniques. (-;

Mustang horsepower mustangjoe Ford Mustang 15 February 13th 05 01:21 AM
Horsepower Larry Simulators 0 January 14th 05 09:04 PM
Horsepower Still Sells [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 January 13th 05 05:45 AM
FS: 1991 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0 Supercharged 416 Horsepower Ford Mustang 0 November 19th 04 11:33 PM
Differing Horsepower RT500/ap Antique cars 1 October 6th 03 03:26 PM