Ignition Switch

Old March 5th 05, 06:45 PM

Default Ignition Switch

Question!

Can't find a key for ignition switch for my dune buggy. It's based on a
'66 type III. Finally giving up on keeping it with the stock switch.
Can't get the lock cylinder out without the key.

Bought a universal switch just so I'll have a key and a push button
starter which was plan A to begin with. I know how to wire the
pushbutton in for the starter but anybody got any suggestions for the
key switch? I'd like to have an accessory line for the radio and then a
run position. The switch I bought has provisions for that.
Specifically, which wires coming from the steering collum are what.
They are all red.

While you're at it. It was 6v but I'm changing it to 12. For whatever
reason, there is a second solenoid wired in back there, it's an old
Ford type. I remember reading somewhere, probably in John Muirs book,
about doing this but I can't remember why and can't find it in the
book. Anybody know?

Thanks,
<><
TC

Old March 5th 05, 07:01 PM
Speedy Jim

> Question!
>
> Can't find a key for ignition switch for my dune buggy. It's based on a
> '66 type III. Finally giving up on keeping it with the stock switch.
> Can't get the lock cylinder out without the key.
>
> Bought a universal switch just so I'll have a key and a push button
> starter which was plan A to begin with. I know how to wire the
> pushbutton in for the starter but anybody got any suggestions for the
> key switch? I'd like to have an accessory line for the radio and then a
> run position. The switch I bought has provisions for that.
> Specifically, which wires coming from the steering collum are what.
> They are all red.
>
> While you're at it. It was 6v but I'm changing it to 12. For whatever
> reason, there is a second solenoid wired in back there, it's an old
> Ford type. I remember reading somewhere, probably in John Muirs book,
> about doing this but I can't remember why and can't find it in the
> book. Anybody know?
>
> Thanks,
> <><
> TC

Download the Type 3 diagram he
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring.html

The Ignition switch should have 2 Red wires and 1 Blk wire.

The Red which comes off the Headlight switch is HOT from battery.
The other Red goes to the starter solenoid.
Blk goes to the Fuseblock and the Coil (there is NO fuse
in the circuit to the Coil, the Fuseblock is just a convenient junction).

If you're unsure, use a meter or test lamp to find out
which wires are hot and when.

You can get rid of the Ford solenoid (it's 6V anyway).
Just run the Red wire directly to the starter solenoid.

Here's a simplified diagram of the Ignition switch:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/ignition.gif

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 5th 05, 07:19 PM

Thanks, I was hoping you were near your computer. I looked on your
website for these diagrams but I must have given up too quick.

Thanks,
<><
TC