83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond!

Old August 3rd 05, 03:13 PM
Mark Amero

Default 83 VW Rabbit Hard to start and progressively looses power and dies. Cold start? Fuel pressure? Electrical? URGENT. Please respond!

Hello Everyone,
Please reply as soon as you can. I've just purchased an 83 vw rabbit cabbrio
1.7L auto. I have become VERY frustrated with this car. When I bought it the
person said it might need the fuel pump replaced and perhaps a cold start
valve.

The car is very difficult to start. Once it does start, it runs not to bad
but misses a little. If you take it out for a drive it progressively losses
a lot of power like it is missing. Perhaps not firing properly, not enough
fuel or maybe something else. It will eventually loose enough power that if
you go up a small hill if will stall. If you back of on the gas pedal it
will smooth out a little, but when under load if you push the pedal it
really looses power. Once it stalls it will crank but again it's very
difficult to start. I have not replaced the fuel pump yet because it seems
like there is lots of pressure getting to the injectors and the cold start
valve. I have tested the cold start valve by hooking it directly to a
battery. It seems to work and does not leek. I have replaced it with another
one anyway. I've replaced the fuel filter. It does not seem like there is
any significant power getting to the cold start valve or even the thermotime
switch. What is causing the hard starts? Why does it run pretty good for the
first 10 mins but after it losses power. Is it the cold start valve, lack of
voltage, low fuel pressure or something else. I am so confused. It's been 3
days now and I need this car to run. This was supposed to replace another
car that died. I don't need two dead cars. URGENT. Please reply everyone.
Thanks

Mark

Old August 3rd 05, 03:44 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Mark Amero wrote:

>What is causing the hard starts? Why does it run pretty good for the
>first 10 mins but after it losses power. Is it the cold start valve, lack of
>voltage, low fuel pressure or something else. I am so confused. It's been 3
>days now and I need this car to run. This was supposed to replace another
>car that died. I don't need two dead cars. URGENT. Please reply everyone.

I don't know what would be causing those symptoms.

While you are looking, I suggest watching the ignition wiring in the
dark looking for sparks. It's easy. It's cheap.

I am thinking that car has a distributor. If the cap has an internal
arcing path, looking in the dark will not see the arc. But arcing in
the wires could show up.

I can't match any particular ignition problem to the timing of your
problem cycle, but that does not mean it could not be a factor.

Old August 3rd 05, 06:46 PM
gutlessjetta

yeah I'd say check your spark, timing and wires

Old August 4th 05, 02:15 AM
CanadianCray

I would start by making sure your fuel distributor & plate are not sticking.
Next start looking for air leaks after the fuel distributor. This will cause
hard starts and after 10mins or so when the cold start system shutsoff it
will run too lean have less power & stall. Good places to look are in the
tube from the air filter, any vacuum or PCV lines going to the intake &
also the seals around your fuel injectors. They are well known for drying
out & causing air leaks.