'90 Golf exhaust ball joint, spring? Leaking

Old December 15th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

Default '90 Golf exhaust ball joint, spring? Leaking

Hi,
My '90 Golf has the original downpipe and cat converter. The ball
joint between the downpipe and cat converter is loose and making a lot
of noise. I've replaced the insides of the ball joint and replaced the
bolts and copper nuts. It held for awhile, but the joint is leaking
again. Reading on the Internet, it sounds like there is supposed to be
a spring behind that nut? Is that how the joint flexes? There isn't a
spring there, maybe rusted out sometime in the last 19 years?

The triangular flanges on the downpipe and cat converter are not in
great shape. I'm not sure I can tighten the nut any tighter to close
the joint without breaking the flange. Also why did VW design the
joint so that there was one bolt on the bottom of the flange where all
the tension occurs?

Any tips on how I should repair the leaking joint while retaining the
same downpipe and cat converter? The cat is still in good shape, the
tubes are still intact.

thanks.
Old December 15th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

Apply some exhaust sealant and refit.

SFC

"tonyw" > schreef in bericht

Old December 21st 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

On Dec 14, 6:11*pm, tonyw > wrote:
> The ball joint between the downpipe and cat converter is loose and making a lot of noise.
> thanks.

UPDATE.
My regular supplier of parts (VM Autohaus) had a split flange for just
this repair. The flange on the cat converter was in good shape and
barely corroded. The flange on the downpipe was just stamped-formed
heavy sheetmetal and badly corroded. This flange was slid onto the
pipe before the end of the pipe was flared. I undid all 3 nuts and
bolts on the joint, cut off the old flange on the downpipe side.
Clamped on the new split flange and bolted everything back together.
Nice and solid, no leaks. The metal gasket in the joint took care of
any slight mis-alignment of the downpipe to the cat converter and
provided a tight seal. I coated all the fasteners with anti-seize
compound.

I checked, VW doesnt' use any springs in this joint like some
manufacturers. There is no movement at this joint, it's a solid union.
Any engine torque movement is transmitted down the exhaust system and
movement is accommodated by the rubber hangers.

07 charger ball joint budslave Dodge 4 March 17th 08 06:04 PM
Bad Ball joint? marx404 Saturn 1 October 3rd 07 03:04 PM
97 xj Ball Joint MJG Jeep 6 March 29th 06 01:49 AM
Golf 3 - How to replace lower ball joint Sasso VW water cooled 1 November 13th 04 11:40 PM
Ball Joint on Ion teem Saturn 0 June 25th 04 01:31 AM