Detroit Vs Japan

Old June 5th 05, 08:15 PM

Actually I always put Delcos on imports. They don't last as long, but
they put out a lot more current and you get "lifetime guarantee" on
them. That was on the old V-belt engines. With serp belts, conversion
is a more complicated affair.

Old June 5th 05, 08:44 PM

A day is about the number of hours between major OH a smallblock will
run at 7000 rpm continuous, even if it's blueprinted and balanced with
four bolt mains, forged crank, and fully prepped rods.

Old June 5th 05, 08:50 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

An alternator charges in both directions so that's not a problem.
And keep their stator under ten grand, by adjusting their pulley
size.
The lifetime guarantees out of Kragans and Pep Boys have been nice
over the years. On just one of my cars, the '78 Bronco I've only had to
buy first of ten sets of brakes, five master cylinders, three
alternators, three starters, three radiators, three water pumps, two
fuel pumps, prorated a battery every three year average.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 5th 05, 09:19 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If that's what you're blueprinting for, like a top fuel is designed
to produce seven thousand horsepower for four seconds between tear
downs: http://www.nhra.com/2004/multimedia.html Or an seven hundred
horse Indy car to last a couple of hours at over ten grand, two hundred
miles an hour:
http://www.foytracing.com/AJFoyt/200...seasonRap.html Now
detune a little more and you'll have your Chevrolet running seven grand
endlessly, just remember to use the proper filters to keep the parts in
suspension.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 5th 05, 09:44 PM

You put a SB Chev on a generator or a prop drive and run it 100
_continuous_ hours-feeding it cool clean oil and glycol-at 7000 rpm,
I'll believe that.

Old June 5th 05, 10:10 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Except there's no reason to build a push rod for seven grand, when
five would be a more efficient in a boat. Generators would be better
served with low RPM heavy diesels, where speed of transportation is not
a factor.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 21st 05, 04:08 PM
Billy Ray

Bill,

A few years ago my parents were looking for a replacement for their 16 year
old car. The US automakers no longer made a 4 door hatchback like they
wanted. When I mentioned a model produced by a Japanese company my father
nixed the idea by saying "I haven't gotten over WWII yet, it has only been
55 years".

Billy

Old June 21st 05, 07:23 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I haven't gotten over my best friends death, either:
http://www.billhughes.com/mitchell.jpg But I'm sure many bleeding heart
liberals will be buying from Vietnam now that's open.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 23rd 05, 05:54 AM
Billy Ray

Bill,

In my '02 WJ 4 liter automatic I have no illumination on my transmission or
transfer case shifters at night. I took the console apart a week or so ago
and where I expected to find a couple burnt out bulbs there were no bulbs.

There is, however, a thin plastic sheet with 2 electric terminals that go to
a small "black box" that then plugs into a part of the wiring harness at the
aft end of the shifter mechanism..

Is that plastic sheet the lighting unit? Is there a proper test procedure?

Thanks in advance,

-billy

Old June 23rd 05, 12:26 PM
DougW

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:
> Bill,
>
> In my '02 WJ 4 liter automatic I have no illumination on my transmission or
> transfer case shifters at night. I took the console apart a week or so ago
> and where I expected to find a couple burnt out bulbs there were no bulbs.
>
> There is, however, a thin plastic sheet with 2 electric terminals that go to
> a small "black box" that then plugs into a part of the wiring harness at the
> aft end of the shifter mechanism..
>
> Is that plastic sheet the lighting unit? Is there a proper test procedure?

Your describing an EL (Electro Luminescent) panel. Inside the black
box shoud be a step-up transformer. Measure at the box for 12V on the
input.

Light reading
http://www.talkingelectronics.com/Pr...itELine02.html

Not so light reading.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/gauges.htm
(although it's for the instrument panel)

Since EL is darn near indestructable I'd be checking the fuses first.

--
DougW