Trying to find info on an old car factory in Germany with a bizarre tale...

Old December 6th 03, 12:17 AM
Andy Fisher

Default Trying to find info on an old car factory in Germany with a bizarre tale...

Hi,

I'm trying to find out some information. About twenty years ago I
bought my Dad a book, and unfortunatly he is now ill but has
remembered this book and I'm trying to see if I can track down any
information, or possible even the book itself.

Here's what he remembered, it may not be accurate but if any of it
rings any bells I would appreciate any suggestions!

Apparently the book was about a pair of brothers who owned a car
factory in Germany. After many, many years of hard work, they
eventually sold it (possibly to the employees) for a very small sum.
The brothers retired to an apartment overlooking the factory. Once the
new owners had taken over, some old sheds on the factory's land (which
had never been touched since the factory opened) were opened, and in
one of them was found to be a restaurant in perfect condition, capable
of seating many diners. In another shed was found to be lots of
vintage cars. It seems that because of the war, many patrons of the
restaurant were unable to settle their tabs, so they paid with their
cars instead. Then once the war was well underway the restaurant and
cars were all locked up, but evidently the owners were never able to
return. Apparently the factory is now a car museum.

If any of this sounds familiar- it may not have been Germany, the
owners may not have been brothers, but you get the idea- then please
post a reply to this message. I'm trying to do some web searches
myself of course, but I'm hoping this might trigger someone's memory!
If I find out what it was then I'll post a follow-up myself in case
anyone else is interested in this tale.

Many thanks,

Andy
Old December 6th 03, 08:24 PM
Larry

Sounds like you're referring to the Schlumpf brothers. Some of your
"facts" may be a little mixed up. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.collection-schlumpf.com/s...n/accueil.html

Larry
1931 Model A Ford Cabriolet