4 cyl. mileage, lift & tire size

Old March 31st 05, 06:02 PM
Steve

Many factors governing wide variations in reported mpg (I suspect
speedometer calibration is often the main one), but one not yet
mentioned is extra drag from permanently locked hubs. The TJ and newer
XJ front ends are always turning the carrier, ring gear, and front drive
shaft. Vehicles with manually unlocked hubs or the old YJ/XJ vacuum
disconnect passenger-side axle don't turn the carrier and drive shaft.
In my own experience, this can account for 1-2 MPG(US) not to mention a
much quieter ride.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old April 1st 05, 12:58 AM
Bryan

Sounds great. All I really want is get just that little extra clearance I
need to stop dragging my receiver hitch on the way to my favorite fishing
hole.

I have seen spacers for as little at $60.00 on the 'net somewhere. Got a
friend who is a suspension guru to do the work and get it right, but he is
not a jeep guy and cannot tell me what experiences people have had with coil
spacers.

Thanks for the help.

Bryan

Old April 1st 05, 12:59 AM
Bryan

Tera Flex Budget Boost? Where did you find that?

Bryan

Old April 1st 05, 01:04 AM
Bryan

Please ignore my stupidity. Found the site on the 'net.
http://www.teraflx.com/

Spelling threw me off....

Bryan

Old April 1st 05, 02:23 AM
Will Honea

But the left wheel was still connected spinning the spiders and the
inner halfshaft. Manual hubs are the only way to get true
free-wheeling. My MJ got within an RCH of the same mileage on the
highway during a hectic 17,000 mile summer of running back and forth
to Texas. The vacuum disconnect motor got fouled up about halfway
thru the summer and I didn't have time to fix it until later in the
fall. Stuck in the locked position or unlocked, I got 22-23 on every
trip. Wind made a lot more difference than the axle did - every 5 kts
of wind cost me pretty close to 1.5 mpg (or added, it it was tail wind
- one trip got 28.2 mpg with a 25 kt tail wind).

--
Will Honea
Old April 1st 05, 05:25 AM
Eric

Well, I hope you're right Bill!

Eric

Old April 1st 05, 02:45 PM
Mike Romain

Just make sure you get the extended bump stops with the spacers. If you
use the stock ones, the springs can over compress which can damage them
or the shocks.

Mike

Old April 2nd 05, 01:30 AM
Paul Keating

Well colour me skeptical.

Teraflex has never been known for great handling with their long arm
kits.....their original long arm kit was promoted as handling well, but
the poor folks who shelled out the cash for it soon discovered that it
squat like a cat under acceleration, and nose dived like crazy under
braking, due to the unequal length upper and lower control arms.
Seems they got around that problem by calling it a "LCG" kit.....in
other words, if you keep the lift to a minimum, the arms will be closer
to parallel and the symptoms won't be as bad.

Looks like they've got the same problem with this kit, and added in the
triangulated front end.....do some searching on pirate4x4.

*shrug* Keep an eye out, but I'm betting it won't be a big seller.

Paul

Old April 4th 05, 10:16 PM
gregw45

I dropped from 20-21 mpg to 17-18 mpg when I got rid of the factory
P225s and added 31x10.5 BFGs. Not bad for a 2.5 with manual... don't
cry when you see the gas prices. http://tinyurl.com/6485o

Old April 4th 05, 10:57 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's why Hot Rodders use aluminum flywheels and rims.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/