Novak has pulled their heads out-a little

Old March 5th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bret Ludwig

Default Novak has pulled their heads out-a little

"Diesels are neat. They power some amazing equipment. There is no
doubt that diesels can offer great economy, but the question is, "What
diesel engines are available for Jeep conversions that a

*

common across the nation
*

the right size
*

the right weight
*

have a broad enough operating range for a multi-use vehicle such
as a Jeep
*

affordable to buy
*

compatible with transmissions that must also meet the above
requirements"

Let's see:

Isuzu-several
Nissan-SD25, SD33T
Mercedes-OM617
Mitsubishi-several
Perkins-still out there, low power-but FACTORY in CJs
VW-maybe for a flatfender
Peugeot-don't laugh, common in Bobcats!
Cummins-OK if trans upgraded, heavy, loud
Volvo-same as Cummins
Detroit Diesel, Cat, Mack-NO!!!
Iveco-possible

How many do you need?

Old March 5th 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Mean while International Harvester has stopped building Ford's dirty
Power Stroke diesels:
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=178404
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

ups.com...

Old March 5th 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Spdloader

That's already been resolved (by a judge) and they've resumed work, and
shipment.

Spdloader

.. .

Old March 7th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

Isuzu ? A new Isuzu 3 litre turbo diesel as fitted in the Isuzu Trooper has
a dealer price around $17000. Yes, I wrote it correctly. Seventeen Thousand
Bucks. Actually $17280.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old March 7th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RapidRonnie

On Mar 6, 6:00 pm, "Dave Milne" > wrote:
> Isuzu ? A new Isuzu 3 litre turbo diesel as fitted in the Isuzu Trooper has
> a dealer price around $17000. Yes, I wrote it correctly. Seventeen Thousand
> Bucks. Actually $17280.
>
> Dave Milne, Scotland
> '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

I bought a 4BB1 for $1300 with three hundred hours on it two years
ago-attached to a large DC generator for CO telecom power. It's
powering my Korean War era life boat now, and I got $200 for the
generator end and $50 for the fuel tank. Deals on diesels are there if
you look hard enough. I've seen a lot of diesel equipment go for the
core value of the engine or less.

Same is true if you want a Mercruiser four ( a hell of a good engine
for a flatfender Jeep.) Mercury Marine dealers will tell you you can't
touch one for less than three thousand. I see whole boats with this
engine go for a grand with trailer every winter. It's half a 460 Ford
with a Chevy bolt pattern.

Old March 7th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Stupendous Man

> Isuzu ? A new Isuzu 3 litre turbo diesel as fitted in the Isuzu Trooper
> has
> a dealer price around $17000. Yes, I wrote it correctly. Seventeen
> Thousand
> Bucks. Actually $17280.

I bought a couple of good running , 200K miles, Mercedes 300 Turbo-diesels,
one only cost $200. If I hadn't already put a 360 in the project I would
consider it.

Old March 7th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Stupendous Man proclaimed:

>>Isuzu ? A new Isuzu 3 litre turbo diesel as fitted in the Isuzu Trooper
>>has
>>a dealer price around $17000. Yes, I wrote it correctly. Seventeen
>>Thousand
>>Bucks. Actually $17280.

> I bought a couple of good running , 200K miles, Mercedes 300 Turbo-diesels,
> one only cost $200. If I hadn't already put a 360 in the project I would
> consider it.

I think I'd rather have the big Audi diesel that won LeMans...
Old March 7th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I'll bite for the Troll.

Just how many of the various stink pots will actually 'fit' in a Jeep, eh?

There is this slight issue with oil pan clearances and adapters.
Despite your racist take on the companies that make adapters, they
obviously are smart enough to know stupidity when they see it. Means
they are still smarter than you Bret...

And who would want to 'always' have to bring up the end of the line
forever when off road or even on a road trip because they stink out the
'real' Jeeps behind them too much with their belching of black smoke.

Until the oil companies clean up their Diesel, it will never be a
welcome addition to any of the Jeep runs we go on, except to tag along
at the end like I mentioned.

Here in Canada, it is impossible to even follow a city bus in traffic in
an open top Jeep, let along have to gag along behind one on the trail.

And Yes Bret, this have been brought up every time you post this troll
by not just me.

Now if you have the money to but one of these 'new' engines that
supposedly don't smoke 'as bad', others have posted that they still get
sent to the back of the line because of stench.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 7th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

The oil companies already have in Europe. My dad's diesel doesn't stink, and
it certainly doesn't belch smoke. The engines you describe disappeared 20
years ago here.

There are many advantages to diesels over petrols for offroading - better
torque per litre (the isuzu actually puts out more bhp/litre as well than
the I6), and as they have much higher compression at around 20:1 you get a
lot better engine braking. Plus the ability to cope with water better.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

ng.com...

Old March 7th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Spdloader

I must admit, I, too have considered some type of diesel swap into my latest
'87 CJ project.
I didn't consider the "stinkin' people out" side of it, but I don't wheel in
large groups like that anyway.

Spdloader