Novak has pulled their heads out-a little

Old March 7th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Default Novak has pulled their heads out-a little

I would love to run Diesel if it wasn't so bad smelling. I am a low rpm
torque lover. No problems for a generator or even furnace, but Jeep,
nope.... We get enough fumes if the wind is wrong with just a gas
engine if running solo, let alone in groups. Our Canadian stuff is
almost half sulfur I think. Apparently they would have to double the
price or something like that to clean it up... ;-)

Mike

Old March 7th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

We have low sulfur road fuel in the U.S. now. I don't know how "low" it is.
I rented a diesel Golf in Spain last year, and you can smell the difference
between that and a gasoline car. I don't know what it would be like with a
whole city full of them. They don't even have that in Europe. One night in
the bus station in Burgos, I was talking to a fellow tourist from L.A. who
was having difficulty breathing. I thought I was going to have to call the
ambulancia, but he stuck his face down by the bus exhausts for a few
minutes. "There, that's better", he said.

Earle

g.com...

Old March 8th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

They still don't meet Kalifornia's clean air standards:
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld.php Even with the exhaust filters
required on all new diesels:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/retrofit/documents/f03017.pdf
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 8th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Hi Earle,
You know that hasn't been true in twenty years, we can see the
mountains, now.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

. ..

Old March 8th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Old March 8th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Old March 8th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

California required ULSD on September 1, 2006.

.. .

Old March 8th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

"Earle Horton" > wrote in message
. ..
> We have low sulfur road fuel in the U.S. now. I don't know how "low" it
> is.

15ppm, down from 500ppm. Diesel in Europe is 50ppm and they're debating
dropping to 10ppm, what they call "sulphur-free."

> I rented a diesel Golf in Spain last year, and you can smell the
> difference
> between that and a gasoline car.

Well, yeah, different fuel, different exhaust smell. You can smell the
difference between beef farts and bean farts, too.

I don't know what it would be like with a
> whole city full of them.

Bean or beef? I'd prefer bean...less lingering power.

They don't even have that in Europe. One night in
> the bus station in Burgos, I was talking to a fellow tourist from L.A. who
> was having difficulty breathing. I thought I was going to have to call
> the
> ambulancia, but he stuck his face down by the bus exhausts for a few
> minutes. "There, that's better", he said.

When I visited Great Britain I was amazed how many diesel passenger cars
there were. My friends in Germany have a diesel Mercedes crossover that will
regulary do 140mph on the 'Bahn. We're visting next month and I am
anticipating the ride!

Old March 8th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

I have been there. You can see the mountains, but when you are coming down
into the valley from the mountains you can see that something is different
down there, just like you can with Denver. I may have exaggerated a little
bit. The tourist from L.A. only had to take a couple of breaths from the
bus exhaust to clear his head.

;^)

Earle

Old March 8th 07, 08:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bret Ludwig

On Mar 7, 8:52 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> I'll bite for the Troll.
>
> Just how many of the various stink pots will actually 'fit' in a Jeep, eh?

Look on the net. About the only one that is a pain in the ass is the
MBZ because of its front sump. It's also dirt cheap and about
bulletproof. There are CJs with Isuzus, Mits, Nissans and Cumminses.

> There is this slight issue with oil pan clearances and adapters.
> Despite your racist take on the companies that make adapters, they
> obviously are smart enough to know stupidity when they see it. Means
> they are still smarter than you Bret...

Most diesels are made so they can have the sump in the front or in
the back and sometimes the middle because they are made for a variety
of uses. MBZ insists on putting huge bag sumps on the front. They are
the exception. Adapterwise they are not that difficult since every
manner of car and light truck was sold somewhere with the more common
diesel engines. I don't believe in adapting alien bellhousings to
transmissions and prefer the scattershield approach.

> And who would want to 'always' have to bring up the end of the line
> forever when off road or even on a road trip because they stink out the
> 'real' Jeeps behind them too much with their belching of black smoke.
>
> Until the oil companies clean up their Diesel, it will never be a
> welcome addition to any of the Jeep runs we go on, except to tag along
> at the end like I mentioned.
>
> Here in Canada, it is impossible to even follow a city bus in traffic in
> an open top Jeep, let along have to gag along behind one on the trail.
>
> And Yes Bret, this have been brought up every time you post this troll
> by not just me.
>
> Now if you have the money to but one of these 'new' engines that
> supposedly don't smoke 'as bad', others have posted that they still get
> sent to the back of the line because of stench.

Real Jeepers are independent and don't jeep in conga lines.