diagnostic scanners

Old December 30th 04, 05:45 PM
gobroncos

Default diagnostic scanners

Am taking a vehicle electronic course and am interested in purchasing a
diagnostic scan tool. Aside from price, what might one be looking for
in purchasing their first scanner as opposed to the professional that
uses it to make a living. Any recommendations would be appreciated. -
TKS

Jim from Minnesota

Old December 30th 04, 05:51 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, gobroncos wrote:

> Am taking a vehicle electronic course and am interested in purchasing a
> diagnostic scan tool. Aside from price, what might one be looking for in
> purchasing their first scanner as opposed to the professional that uses
> it to make a living. Any recommendations would be appreciated. - TKS

Well, if you're just interested in using it on your own cars to
familiarize yourself with how it works, you'll want to get one that is
compatible with your make and year vehicle(s). If you drive older
vehicles, a scanner with older software can be just fine. They're all
over eBay. I bought an OTC Monitor 4000 last year. If I were doing it
again, I might choose a Snap-On MT2500 instead. The other thing to think
about is upgradeability. If you think you might want eventually to use the
scanner on other makes and models, make sure you buy one that can easily
and inexpensively be upgraded with different software (usually a different
cartridge).

Old December 30th 04, 06:52 PM
ray

gobroncos wrote:
> Am taking a vehicle electronic course and am interested in purchasing a
> diagnostic scan tool. Aside from price, what might one be looking for
> in purchasing their first scanner as opposed to the professional that
> uses it to make a living. Any recommendations would be appreciated. -
> TKS
>
> Jim from Minnesota

I'm happy with my AutoTap. The new ones can do all OBD-II models.
(I've only tested mine with GM products.)

Unlike the snap-on that Dan recommended, it doesn't do ABS systems, just
the OBD stuff. However, for the basic package it's only $200 US. I
doubt the Snap-On is... but for a DIYer like me, it's all I need and a
whole lot more. (reset MIL, realtime scan, data log.)

You do need a laptop or a Palm Pilot.
(www.autotap.com)
Old December 31st 04, 11:40 PM
Woody

Do a google search on OBD-2 or OBD-II. There are several on the market. Keep
in mind that most of these scanners scan the mandated EPA information but do
not read the manufacturer specific information. Some read more than others.
I use the cable at www.obd-2.com with my laptop. Their software is regularly
updated. If you want to get into the manufacturer specific information you
will have to step up to the more expensive units.....

oups.com...

Diagnostic Trouble codes Oppie Saturn 1 December 6th 04 10:00 PM
BMW CARSOFT DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE BestAutoScientist BMW 0 November 8th 04 08:02 PM
location of diagnostic (DLC) connector on a 2004 530i J. McGoggin BMW 0 September 30th 04 05:35 AM
On-board Radio Diagnostic Oppie Saturn 0 August 23rd 04 02:39 AM