86 Nissan 300zx a/t fluid pouring out

Old December 31st 04, 08:16 PM
Grey-hound

Default 86 Nissan 300zx a/t fluid pouring out

My 86 300zx with auto/trans was rebuilt at 153K miles. Now has 216K miles on
it (no problems up until now)and a 76 mile daily driver. Son says he was
reving motor while parked at 3-4k rpm and he heard fluid leaking out. He
looked under the car and saw red ATF fluid pourin out bottom of car from
trans bell housing. Came home and saw big red puddle.Started it up and saw
fluid leaking out in a stream at the lowest part in the bellhousing. Could
the output seal have been blown out by my son reving it up like that (I
usually baby the car)? What could cause a problem like this to happen? What
should we look for when we pull it apart?
Thanks to all who reply.
Greyhound

Old December 31st 04, 09:00 PM
jjjsan

if ATF fluid is leaking, could be from Power Steering system also
check level of ATF and ps resovoir.
May need to jackup car to pinpoint location of leak.

Old December 31st 04, 09:04 PM
Steve B.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:16:07 GMT, "Grey-hound"
> wrote:

> What could cause a problem like this to happen?

Some blockhead revving the motor to 3 or 4k rpm while sitting still
evidently. Atleast thats what seems to have caused it in this case.

> What should we look for when we pull it apart?

I would check the cooler lines first just in case one of them broke
and is leaking all the fluid out. Does this car have an inspection
plate on the bottom of the bell housing you can pull orr and check for
the leak? Should be pretty easy to find regardless once you get in
there.

Good luck to you getting it straightened out.

Steve B.
Old December 31st 04, 09:32 PM
Anthony

"Grey-hound" > wrote in

> My 86 300zx with auto/trans was rebuilt at 153K miles. Now has 216K
> miles on it (no problems up until now)and a 76 mile daily driver. Son
> says he was reving motor while parked at 3-4k rpm and he heard fluid
> leaking out. He looked under the car and saw red ATF fluid pourin out
> bottom of car from trans bell housing. Came home and saw big red
> puddle.Started it up and saw fluid leaking out in a stream at the
> lowest part in the bellhousing. Could the output seal have been blown
> out by my son reving it up like that (I usually baby the car)? What
> could cause a problem like this to happen? What should we look for
> when we pull it apart? Thanks to all who reply.
> Greyhound

Could be a couple of things. At least the front seal is bad, possibly a
cracked torque converter. Another possibility is the son dropped it in
gear at 3-4K and cracked the flexplate, which led to the seal being eaten
up. I would check both the torque converter and the flexplate *very*
carefully for cracks.

--
Anthony

better idiots.