Battery Charging Voltage

Old February 23rd 05, 05:11 AM
Jerry Bransford

Bill, ride in any Ford, Dodge, GMC, or Chevrolet truck with an
alternator, and by the way they ALL have alternators, and you will see a
voltmeter, not an amp meter. No manufacturer of a modern consumer
vehicle installs an amp meter any more due everyone having switched to
alternators many years ago. I drive all (!) of those brands of trucks
trucks (yes, plural) every single day of the week in my job.

You need to get out of your pajamas and the house and see what has hit
the streets in the past 30 years.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old February 23rd 05, 06:13 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeep switched to alternators with GM a year ahead of Ford in '65
and so did I in my T-Bird in that same year:
http://www.billhughes.com/thunderb.htm And of course I use one in my
Real Jeep, you may just see in it's maiden voyage:
http://www.billhughes.com/cj2maidenVoyage.jpg The Amp meter is the only
way the professional driver may know for sure he is charging more than,
say his driving lights are using:
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...aja-herbst.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old February 23rd 05, 08:21 AM
bllsht

In message <X1NSd.19245$Tt.11615@fed1read05>, "Jerry Bransford" wrote:

>Exactly, your alternator-equipped Jeep uses a voltmeter... since an amp
>meter is not needed for an alternator equipped vehicle like it is for
>one that has a generator like hasn't been used in many years.

An amp meter isn't needed for an alternator equipped vehicle??? Where do you
get this crap? Ammeters were used for many years after alternators replaced
generators. They are just two different ways of determining the "health" of the
charging/starting system. In fact, testing the system includes using BOTH.

While a volt meter will tell you what system voltage is, an ammeter is the only
way to KNOW whether your battery is being charged or discharged, and at what
rate. The switch to voltmeters from ammeters probably has more to do with
trying to avoid confusing or alarming those who are easily confused. Like you
seem to be.

Ammeters constantly fluctuate with electrical system loads, while voltmeters
stay steady unless something is seriously wrong. People don't like seeing their
gauges fluctuate.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:41 PM
Mike Romain

Gee, that's funny, my volt meters must be psychic or something.

I can always tell the state of my charging system by knowing where my
voltage gauge sits during 'normal' operations. When it starts
fluctuating out of the normal, according to how, I know what to check.
It seems pretty easy. If the gauge didn't reflect the operation, then
the gauge is useless and you may as well have one idiot light only.

I find the volts reflect the charge state really well.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 23rd 05, 08:43 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It's apart of the deliberate dumbing down of America.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 24th 05, 01:00 AM
Tom T

Dave, Sounds to me like a normal reading. That's what my TJ"s
voltmeter reads. And, it's always a good idea to clean the terminals
every year (before winter sets in). I use a foam battery cleaner in a
can and a battery terminal sealer, also in a spray can. After I use
the cleaner I use a battery post/cable wire brush then reconnect the
battery cables and spray with the sealer....Works for me !
Tom T

Old February 24th 05, 02:02 AM
SteveBrady

An easy way to check battery health is with a voltage load test.
If you find that your battery voltage goes from high to low (relative term)
then odds are it's not handling a charge very well and is bleeding off quite
well.

If you throw a battery on a charger and then measure the voltage you'll
measure a 'skin' charge (or surface charge) that will be equivalent to the
charging voltage.
You need to load the battery to bleed this off. I use an automotive
lightbulb (12V/40W) for 1 minute and then I measure the voltage again.
Being that the charging voltage is around 14.5Volts, if I measure after
bleeding and find a voltage less than 13V then I get worried.

A battery with only 12.1 volts is considered to only have 50% charge left in
it (this is amp capacity it's referring to).

I may have gotten my terms back to front...(and am not entirely sure of the
bulb wattage) but this is a good rough method to determine your battery
health.

Old February 24th 05, 02:54 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The prolonged load test is more like a hundred Amps for Real
American cars:
http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...--ATD5495.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 24th 05, 04:17 AM
popeyeball

Using a voltmeter, wether on the dash or independant of the vehicle,
can be an 'iffy' situation. A person who pays close attention to their
dash voltmeter behavior would certainly know the 'history' of what is
going on (as in Dave's case)and could be useful. Using a dash
voltmeter, or any voltmeter independant of the car, I personally would
not use. A charge indicator on a battery charging unit measures AMPs
as in Cranking Power, wether by a meter or lamp, is a better indicator.

When you buy a battery you do not ask if it is 12 volts - you look for
the correct size & Cranking Power for your vehicle. The old and still
effective way to measure your battery to determine if it will turn over
your engine (and not just turn on the lights) is by using a hydrometer
which measures the batteries (or it's electrolytes) specific gravity
which will indicate it's ability to crank your engine. (Gosh, I hope I
remembered all that the right way, but I think it's close.)
FYI - Volts are measured in parrallel, amps are measured in series.
Steve

Old February 24th 05, 04:26 AM
popeyeball

OOP's, I mean the way Mike watches his dash voltmeter.
Steve