phooey. :P

Old February 15th 11, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

Default phooey. :P

> I don't have a service manual back that far except these.
>
> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1988-xfrcase.pdf
> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1...e-overhaul.pdf

Any chance this is the same for a '97 TJ?
Old February 16th 11, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
>> I don't have a service manual back that far except these.
>>
>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1988-xfrcase.pdf
>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1...e-overhaul.pdf

> Any chance this is the same for a '97 TJ?

83-96 XJ, so it's down to seeing if the parts cross.
I have an 03 TJ FSM but it's probably too far the other way.

--
DougW

Old February 16th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

DougW wrote:
> Scott in Baltimore wrote:
>>> I don't have a service manual back that far except these.
>>>
>>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1988-xfrcase.pdf
>>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1...e-overhaul.pdf

>> Any chance this is the same for a '97 TJ?

> 83-96 XJ, so it's down to seeing if the parts cross.
> I have an 03 TJ FSM but it's probably too far the other way.

I put it in 4LO in the snow, got a few feet, heard a noise, stopped and
put it back in 4HI. It whines in 2HI and I've got 91K on it. I'm due.
I don't think my mechanic wants to deal with it. He quoted me $1500.

BTW, since I don't like the sound of chain grinding in/out of 4LO, I
put the transmission in neutral, stop the engine, then shift the xfer
case. Let me know if this is a good idea or not.
Old February 16th 11, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
> DougW wrote:

>>> Any chance this is the same for a '97 TJ?

>> 83-96 XJ, so it's down to seeing if the parts cross.
>> I have an 03 TJ FSM but it's probably too far the other way.
>>

> I put it in 4LO in the snow, got a few feet, heard a noise, stopped
> and put it back in 4HI. It whines in 2HI and I've got 91K on it. I'm
> due. I don't think my mechanic wants to deal with it. He quoted me
> $1500.

4lo will make noises especially if the tires have any traction.
That's a part-time range. As for the whine, is the unit low on
fluid? If you remove the top plug the fluid should just be at
the bottom of the hole. If it's not then just add a bit of ATF
fluid to bring it up. Dexron-III (check with the dealership
to be sure)

> BTW, since I don't like the sound of chain grinding in/out of 4LO, I
> put the transmission in neutral, stop the engine, then shift the xfer
> case. Let me know if this is a good idea or not.

I generally shift the transmission to neutral, stop motion, then shift.
Although my xfr is the quadratrack and you can shift it (very quickly)
between 4hi and 4lo while in motion. It just makes noise as the gears
mesh.

--
DougW

Old February 17th 11, 09:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"Scott in Baltimore" > wrote in message
>> I don't have a service manual back that far except these.
>>
>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1988-xfrcase.pdf
>> http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/1...e-overhaul.pdf

> Any chance this is the same for a '97 TJ?

I looked at a Chevy S-10(they also use the NP231 t/case)factory manual, and
the interior breakdown appears identical, so the disassembly and assembly
instructions should be the same.
Some parts may be physically different, though, but since the service
manuals don't give actual part numbers you ought to be able to take the
diagram to the dealer and get what you need.
The problem I'm running into is that I need part # 49 in the 231 diagram and
there seem to be 2 versions of it based on the 8 digit number on the tag
rivited to the back of the case. Of course *everyone* has the one that
won't fit mine.

--
Old Crow
'82 FLTC(P) 92"