2004 JGC 4wd NOT for dirt, per dealer

Old January 21st 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 2004 JGC 4wd NOT for dirt, per dealer

Really!!??
No f-ing wonder I never bought DC products in the past.
The more I learn about them, the more insecure I feel about their way of
doing business.

KJK

"jeff" > wrote in message
: Lease vehicles do not carry the warrantee. Buying a 2 year old Jeep from
: DC is "as is", as I found out when I bought my Cherokee.
:
: --
: jeff
:
: L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:
: > Don't tell us, tell DaimlerChrysler. Don't you have the bumper to
: > bumper seven year, seventy thousand mile warrantee?

Old January 21st 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I think it has more to do with the dealerships, which actuall sell the cars,
not the manufacturer...that said, my closest Chrysler dealership has really
turned into a bunch of bottom-feeding parasites.

Old January 21st 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On the 01 GC it was 7yrs/70,000 miles on the power and drive train, and
then only on internal parts only. It is also $100 deductible per
visit when I use either the factory or extended warranty. Even DC's
extended warranty is hardly "bumper to bumper."

Larry Greenwood

Old January 21st 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

This bears repeating. The extended warranty is a kind of insurance, that is
to say, a lottery. The only people who regularly and predictably lose the
lottery, are those who buy tickets. Statistically, you are better off
buying neither. When I bought my Wrangler, in 1994, they asked me, "What
are you going to do, without the extended warranty, if the computer fails?"
I guess I would have been out the cost of a computer, much less than the
$1,500 extended warranty, wouldn't I? Well the computer didn't fail,
neither did any other assembly, and I kept my money. The transmission
didn't fall out, the engine didn't blow, the rear end didn't grenade, the
axle didn't slide out, the air conditioner compressor didn't blow, because
it doesn't have one, etc. This is the usual experience, with a new vehicle,
that is in its seventh model year. Get it?

I you have to buy one of these confidence schemes, at least bargain the
price down. Like everything else attached to a new vehicle, it is subject
to (ridiculous) dealer markup.

Earle

oups.com...

Old January 22nd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Earle,

What you are stating here is your personal opinion. And you are making
a generalized statement that may not be support in fact. (comparing an
EW to a Lottery?) So you were indeed lucky your computer did not
fail. I will grant you that the extended warranty is at best an
insurance policy and not particularly good one at that. (However,
I'll bet you have fire insurance on your house, although it is very
unlikely you will ever experience a fire due to strict building codes!
But you do it anyway because should it happen, it would be expensive to
replace or repair.)

I also have a 98 Cherokee I bought new and I did not buy the extended
warranty, because I researched the reliability of the Cherokee and the
cost of replacing some of the most expensive parts on it and decided
that it would be cheaper to pay for repairs rather than get an extended
warranty. So far at 60,000, no major repairs.

If I bought a wrangler I would not buy an extended warranty as they
tend to be a little more reliable than the GC. In fact the nice thing
about a wrangler is its lack of expensive ammenties that would
eventually have to be repaired. I have a 99 wrangler and so far the
worst thing that has happened is replacing the radiator at 30,000 six
years later at a cost of $312.

The GC is a whole other issue. It has expensive and sophisticated
components that any one of which would fail could be expensive. I
remember the many problems that 99+ GCs had from reading this list
back in those times, failing transfer cases due to some new
manufacturing process, noisy drive lines, etc, etc. Considering the
sharp depreciation of the value of the GC in the first few years, it is
possible that some repairs might even cost more that the vehicle is
worth. BTW I have had to use the extended warranty a couple of times.

So rather than make blanket statements that an extended warranty is
really a lottery, do some research on the vehicle before you buy it.
Some vehicles might not need it and some might.

Larry Greenwood

Old January 22nd 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The house is assessed at $290k, and is probably worth half a million. It
was built in 1894. What was that you said about strict building codes? I
looked underneath, before I bought it. ;^)

What I have stated about the Jeep is my experience, not my opinion. The
computer did not fail, the rear end did not grenade, the axles did not fall
out, etc., etc. I won, as far as that vehicle went. I could have bought
another Wrangler for spare parts, with the money I have saved by not buying
extended warranties, on anything. If you bought a GC with the extended
warranty, and didn't use it, you lost. How can you call this not a lottery?

Statistically, the customer loses on these things, because they are always
priced to make a profit. If you don't believe in statistics, that is fine.
If you don't believe that the manufacturer, or the extended warranty
writers, are in business to make a profit, that is fine too. But those are
the facts that I use to support what I have said. Few would dispute them.

Earle

ups.com...

Old January 22nd 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yup, anything else is called "lying".

Dave

ups.com...

Old January 22nd 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Earl,

You need to lighten up a bit. Jezz. Obviously you didn't even bother
to read my post. You are just shooting from the hip. As I said, if I
bought a wrangler I wouldn't feel the need to take out an ew. If you
buy a GC and don't buy an ew then fine, but just don't assume that
everyone has the resources you have in case there expensive repairs.

If you have fire insurance and your house doesn't burn down, then have
you "lost" that "lottery". In your way of thinking, all insurance is
a lottery. What about life insurance isn't it the greatest scam of
all?

Obviously you and I are never going to agree about this. So just don't
buy an ew. But some of us don't have the resources you have and so we
have to protect ourselves against possibility of expensive repairs.

Larry

Old January 22nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The house insurance payment is about $400 a year. Compare that to the cost
of the house. It comes with a million dollars liability and a bunch of
other goodies too. Sure I will never use them, but they are cheap. Like a
lottery ticket. Your lottery ticket, and you know it is one, is a lot more
expensive, compared to what you expect to get for it. How much is an
extended warranty these days?

One calculates the real value of a lottery ticket, by the expected reward,
times the probability of winning. Now, I couldn't afford to replace my
house, if it burned down. (Well, actually I could, but let's just say, for
the sake of argument, that I couldn't.) That makes the expected reward,
basically infinite. That is why I buy the house insurance. Oh, and the
bank makes me get it too.

But car repairs? Heck, if you have budgeted properly, you can afford them.
And if what you said about the GC is true, that it is not reliable, and will
stick you with repairs that you cannot afford, then it is still a lottery.
And the real people who win, are the ones selling the tickets. They are not
selling policies, that are costing them money, just so guys like you can
drive a luxury vehicle. This is a fact. These people are collecting money,
on average, not paying it out. Otherwise, they would not be selling the
extended warranty at all! Statistically, this means that the GC is probably
a lot more reliable than you think it is. Think about it. The sales people
tell you how great the vehicle is. Actually, they don't have to. You are
in the show room, drooling all over it, telling your wife and kids how great
it will be. At the Dodge dealer in Bellevue, WA, they let the customers
drive the vehicle off the showroom floor. King for a day. Then the finance
guy tells you how expensive repairs could be. Better buy the policy, just
in case.

Earle

ups.com...

Old January 22nd 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Earle,
That's what my insurance is too, but just ten years ago it was a
hundred, and constant for twenty years before that.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

2004 Ram 1500 problem lax.ca Dodge 7 May 12th 05 02:12 AM
Forza Car List Rob Berryhill Simulators 19 May 7th 05 11:37 PM
Another Disappointing BMW Dealer M C BMW 19 April 5th 05 09:26 AM
bestop Jeep give away 2004 Rusted Jeep 1 March 9th 05 07:41 AM
2004 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Bob Dodge 5 April 25th 04 03:47 AM