CJ-5 Heater Fan Upgrade Questions

Old March 25th 07, 09:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Default CJ-5 Heater Fan Upgrade Questions. Now Dead 350 'from' a backfire...Update

I used a Corvette four core cross flow in my CJ-2A because of size
restrictions, you mentioned. We disagree BIG time on running it low, the
coolant doesn't back up enough even at high RPM to use any channels above
the level. Making the pressure cap and recover tank, you mentioned critical!
Probably the biggest reason we don't see any Renaults on the road.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/pismo.htm

Old March 25th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

reboot wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 21:33:39 GMT, SnoMan > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:20:34 -0400, Mike Romain >
>> wrote:

>>> The design engineers thought it made sense. If you have 4" of a side
>>> tank open to air, then 20" or more of cores are still fully filled with
>>> fluid.

>> No you do because the engineers came up with the coolant recovery
>> system to better deal with this problem.
>>
>>> The side tanks had a 'full hot and full cold' mark on them even.
>>>
>>> If you are down 4" on a top tank 'all' the core tops are open to air and
>>> only the ones at the very edge below the top rad hose will run coolant
>>> when the pump flows, the rest are air locked with stagnated coolant.
>>>
>>> Emissions mandated the closed systems, not hood designs.

>> THey did noi mandate horizonal cores, lower hood lines did that
>> because it allows longer core time for coolant than a shorter path in
>> a vertical core.
>>
>>> Mike
>>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>>> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>>> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>>> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
>>> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

>> -----------------
>> TheSnoMan.com

> I've got to join in with SnoMan on this one... and as a cooling system
> design engineer I can vouch for his statements.
>
> With a cross-flow radiator you get more core face area under a low
> hood line. You also have fewer tubes (within some limits) which means
> lower cost to produce.

What 'are' you fools going on about?

The horizontal cores with side tanks that I said are better for an open
system is the 'old' way of doing things in a Jeep CJ because you always
have some cores full of coolant.

The new CJ and TJ rads have top tanks with vertical cores and don't work
as open systems due to the reasons I gave above that 'all' the core tops
get air locked when low on coolant.

Snoman likes to take words out of place and reply to seeming nonsense.

Look at the 'header' of this thread 'very carefully'. On my PC it says
CJ-5 and pointedly mentions a 350.

I will repeat. Closed systems came into being because of pollution
concerns about the coolant puking out on the ground. PCV systems also
came into being because of pollution controls as the downpipes were
leaking lots of oil onto the road also. Charcoal canisters or gas tank
vapor recovery systems also came into being so fumes didn't pollute.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's