Cadillac CTS with manual?

Old June 17th 15, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Default Cadillac CTS with manual?

Is a manual transmission (with clutch) an option on one of these?

Or is there an alternative explaination for a practically brand new CTS in
front of me exhibiting the classic 'I don't know how to use a clutch' lurch
at every stop light and sign?

--
Paul Hovnanian
Shoot low, sheriff. They're riding Shetlands!

Old June 17th 15, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Paul Hovnanian P.E. > wrote:
>Is a manual transmission (with clutch) an option on one of these?

Yes, I am delighted to say!

>Or is there an alternative explaination for a practically brand new CTS in
>front of me exhibiting the classic 'I don't know how to use a clutch' lurch
>at every stop light and sign?

They might be putting it in park at the stoplight in a misguided attempt
to save gas. But it would be more likely that someone bought a manual who
doesn't know how to drive it yet.
--scott

Old June 18th 15, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
> Is a manual transmission (with clutch) an option on one of these?
>
> Or is there an alternative explaination for a practically brand new CTS in
> front of me exhibiting the classic 'I don't know how to use a clutch' lurch
> at every stop light and sign?

CTS has had manual trans for a long time.
Anywhere from 5 to 7 speeds.
Single or double clutch.
I saw a new one on the freeway 2 weeks ago.
Wow! 640 HP
The open exhaust was loud.
Far, far above my pay grade

Old June 18th 15, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Paul in Houston TX > wrote:
>Anywhere from 5 to 7 speeds.
>Single or double clutch.
>I saw a new one on the freeway 2 weeks ago.
>Wow! 640 HP
>The open exhaust was loud.
>Far, far above my pay grade

Actually, the used manuals sell for good prices because dealers get them for
trade in and aren't sure what to do with them.

The CTS is a decent-feeling car, but the name "Cadillac" is still associated
in the minds of most people with horrible bloated pigs of vehicles that wallow
back and forth across the road with elderly people dozing at the wheel. This
reputation reduces the resale value on cars like the CTS, which is a good thing
for you as a buyer.
--scott

Old June 18th 15, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 06/17/2015 06:59 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Paul in Houston TX > wrote:
>>Anywhere from 5 to 7 speeds.
>>Single or double clutch.
>>I saw a new one on the freeway 2 weeks ago.
>>Wow! 640 HP
>>The open exhaust was loud.
>>Far, far above my pay grade

> Actually, the used manuals sell for good prices because dealers get them for
> trade in and aren't sure what to do with them.
>
> The CTS is a decent-feeling car, but the name "Cadillac" is still associated
> in the minds of most people with horrible bloated pigs of vehicles that wallow
> back and forth across the road with elderly people dozing at the wheel.

Except for the elderly dozing thing, that's exactly right. My mom
bought three of them brand new and gave two of them to me when she
wanted a new one every 10 years or so, and probably drove them less than
5K miles/year.

The first one threw a rod out through the pan coming back from Las
Vegas. The second one had serious transmission problems right out of
the box, so they sold her the third one at a really good price. That's
the one I'm driving now.

The dealer offered ridiculous trade-in prices -- probably because he
knew about the ****ty service he was providing.

> This
> reputation reduces the resale value on cars like the CTS, which is a good thing
> for you as a buyer.

Perhaps, but I will never miss an opportunity to bad-mouth Cadillac and
GM, in spite of the fact that we owned an Olds and a couple of Chevies
that lasted considerably beyond their use-by dates.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
Old June 28th 15, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_6_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Paul Hovnanian P.E. > wrote:
> > Is a manual transmission (with clutch) an option on one of these?

> Yes, I am delighted to say!
>
> > Or is there an alternative explaination for a practically brand new
> > CTS in front of me exhibiting the classic 'I don't know how to use
> > a clutch' lurch at every stop light and sign?

> They might be putting it in park at the stoplight in a misguided
> attempt to save gas. But it would be more likely that someone bought
> a manual who doesn't know how to drive it yet.
> --scott

There was a car a few years ago (Honda maybe) that went into neutral
automatically "to save gas."

I do that sometimes when it's a long light and there are a hundred Manhattan
pedestrians crossing in front of me. It reduces my anxiety of holding their
lives under my foot.