Mass Airflow Sensor

Old October 12th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

Default Mass Airflow Sensor

What is this? What does it do? Where is it commonly located?
Old October 12th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

If your car has one it is located between the air filter box and the
turbo, or the intake manifold. Mass Air Flow sensor. Google is your
friend.

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:10:07 -0700 (PDT), Ears

Old October 12th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Oct 11, 10:10*pm, Ears > wrote:
> What is this? *What does it do? *Where is it commonly located?

It measures the amount of air going into the engine.
Old October 13th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Dioclese

"Ears" > wrote in message
> What is this? What does it do? Where is it commonly located?

Determines the amount of air through the air filter to the air intake
mainfold. Does this by a sensor in the air flow path by moving per the
amount of air going through that path, and, delivering a (electrical)
current in reflection of that sensor movement.
Seldom breaks or degrades, leave it alone.
--
Dave

Old October 13th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_4_]

also has internal air temperature sensor.

Old October 15th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

Thanks for the answers.
Old October 18th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Timothy J. Lee

In article > ,
Dioclese <NONE> wrote:
>Seldom breaks or degrades, leave it alone.

Although the earlier a4-platform VWs had one that did have a higher
probability of failing.
Timothy J. Lee
Old October 19th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
631grant

Same with the A3's. AND it was expensive as hell.
The worst thing you can do to destroy the MAF is put an aftermarket cold air
intake on it with an over oiled air filter. The oil coats the MAF which
then burns off and leaves a deposit that screws up the readings.

Old October 24th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

Chilton claims the mass airfllow sensor can cause running problems if
it's failing: stalling and idle problems

Old October 24th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

yep
I have yet to see a bad one yet, but I have heard of them. ;-)

Mass Airflow sensor TINY Corvette 9 April 27th 07 05:06 AM
Mass Airflow Sensor Test? Travis Ogden Corvette 2 April 12th 07 06:10 PM
No mass airflow sensor in a 1996 SC2 - yes or no? Ted Wong Saturn 2 April 5th 07 05:54 PM
98 jetta, dirty mass airflow sensor cpjetta VW water cooled 0 July 1st 05 12:07 AM
Mass Airflow, need Help! JC Technology 15 January 24th 05 03:56 AM