89 Honda accord Carburetor/fuel delivery problems?

Old November 15th 04, 05:42 AM
bob62

Default 89 Honda accord Carburetor/fuel delivery problems?

Hi, I have an 89 Honda accord LX. with a carburetor. and I am having some
serious issues with this and they are quite puzzling. ok, ONe day i was
driving and it just starts bogging down the car would run but with the gas
pedal to the floor it will only go up to in between 1000 - 2000 rpms. my
solution to this was getting a new carburetor, but I went and got one from
a junk yard and installed it this morning and the problem still occured.
before I took the old one off i checked the gas line and cranked it to see
if it was pumping any gas, and it pumped gas perfectly. so it cant be the
gas pump. I know that one. Any answers or solutions on what I should check
would be very appreciated. thanks alot! its the only car I got and im
having to bum my mothers car when I need to go places.

Old November 15th 04, 09:08 AM
Bill

In article
outautos.com>, "bob62"
> wrote:

>Hi, I have an 89 Honda accord LX. with a carburetor. and I am having some
>serious issues with this and they are quite puzzling. ok, ONe day i was
>driving and it just starts bogging down the car would run but with the gas
>pedal to the floor it will only go up to in between 1000 - 2000 rpms. my
>solution to this was getting a new carburetor, but I went and got one from
>a junk yard and installed it this morning and the problem still occured.
>before I took the old one off i checked the gas line and cranked it to see
>if it was pumping any gas, and it pumped gas perfectly. so it cant be the
>gas pump. I know that one. Any answers or solutions on what I should check
>would be very appreciated. thanks alot! its the only car I got and im
>having to bum my mothers car when I need to go places.

Just because you got gas out of the fuel line, doesn't mean the pump is
delivering enough pressure/volume.
IIRC, that car has a fuel filter inside the LRear wheel well along with
the one in the engine compartment.
Did you check those?
Old November 15th 04, 03:45 PM
RLBeldon

[posted and mailed]
"bob62" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:
> Hi, I have an 89 Honda accord LX. with a carburetor. and I am having
> some serious issues with this and they are quite puzzling. ok, ONe
> day i was driving and it just starts bogging down the car would run
> but with the gas pedal to the floor it will only go up to in between
> 1000 - 2000 rpms. <snip>

This is not a carb problem, but a 'pre-heated air' delivery problem.
Check and repair the vacuum line to the air diversion damper
in the air intake. The carb needs 100+ deg F air in the Winter.
Pre-heated air from the exhaust manifold prevents frost and ice
build up. This happened to me years ago and a five minute fix
was all that was needed. Good luck.
Old November 15th 04, 04:15 PM
JerryR

Bob
had A very similar problem with an 85 carburated accord lx . Check
and make sure the stove pipe(the big hose that goes between the exh.
manifold and the air cleaner)is intact and in place, and that the
vaccum motor that operate the warm air diafragm in the air cleaner is
operating the flap so that warm air can reach the carb.(in my case the
motor was operating-but the link to the flap got disconnected, so no
warm air.)
hope this helps
JerryR

Old November 15th 04, 11:17 PM
bob62

The car has a brand new fuel pump on the car. my brother owned the car
before me about 2 months ago and he has new timing belt, water pump, fuel
pump, muffler. all brand new. I took it to cumberland tire. and they
couldnt find the problem. they took the old carb off and put the one that
was on it back on. and couldnt figure it out. but i talked to my brother
and he said he took it to a honda dealer and they put it on a machine and
said the carburetor is what the problem is. So I am guessing that both of
the carburetors are bad ones. now I ordered one for 400 bucks, now and if
that doesnt work then I dont know. thank you alot!

Old November 15th 04, 11:20 PM
bob62

hehe, thanks alot. all of this you gave me is correct. all of it was right.
the line was perfect. no problem with vacuum line, I am thinking that both
of the carbs I ended up with we're bad ones. Just my luck huh. thanks alot

Old November 15th 04, 11:28 PM
Bill

In article
outautos.com>, "bob62"
> wrote:

>The car has a brand new fuel pump on the car. my brother owned the car
>before me about 2 months ago and he has new timing belt, water pump, fuel
>pump, muffler. all brand new. I took it to cumberland tire. and they
>couldnt find the problem. they took the old carb off and put the one that
>was on it back on. and couldnt figure it out. but i talked to my brother
>and he said he took it to a honda dealer and they put it on a machine and
>said the carburetor is what the problem is. So I am guessing that both of
>the carburetors are bad ones. now I ordered one for 400 bucks, now and if
>that doesnt work then I dont know. thank you alot!

But how about the fuel FILTERS?
Old November 16th 04, 02:52 AM
bob62

I may as well put a new fuel filter on it. I didnt check it. a friend
looked at the fuel filter and said it wasnt clogged or anything. It needs
new carb anyways. but i will purchase a new fuel filter along with that.
and hey, that may be the problem. thanks alot!