1993 GC Limited - I Miss My Jeep!!

Old August 21st 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Casper

Default 1993 GC Limited - I Miss My Jeep!!

bllsht > hacked up a hairball and the stain left
behind looked like this:

>Not to take anything from your mechanic, but it looks like he's had mostly GM
>training, and probably has mostly GM experience. You may be better off with
>somebody who is experienced with the Chrysler systems. Being familiar with a
>system is a big advantage.

Already been to two different Chrysler/Jeep mechanics and they had
considerably less to offer in the way of a fix except to charge me
exorbitant fees and wanted to replace my muffler for $1600.

>He designed a current probe? Any decent automotive lab scope kit will come with
>one of those, and they're not $400.

Maybe. I do not know. But he has won several awards for his probe, so
there must be something different about it.

>Again, he may be good, but this problem has been going on for quite a while now
>with no fix in sight.
>Does he have a DRB?

Again, he has all the DRB and other diagnostic tools. He has more than
any of the Chrysler/Jeep dealerships in the area.

The repairs are per acceptance of the insurance company, so I am
restricted to who can make repairs. Also, this guy has already been
paid for some parts and must warranty his work. Especially for the PCM
he already replaced should it be defective.
Old August 22nd 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht[_1_]

In message >, "Casper" wrote:

>bllsht > hacked up a hairball and the stain left
>behind looked like this:
>
>>Not to take anything from your mechanic, but it looks like he's had mostly GM
>>training, and probably has mostly GM experience. You may be better off with
>>somebody who is experienced with the Chrysler systems. Being familiar with a
>>system is a big advantage.

>Already been to two different Chrysler/Jeep mechanics and they had
>considerably less to offer in the way of a fix except to charge me
>exorbitant fees and wanted to replace my muffler for $1600.
>
>>He designed a current probe? Any decent automotive lab scope kit will come with
>>one of those, and they're not $400.

>Maybe. I do not know. But he has won several awards for his probe, so
>there must be something different about it.

I'm sure for $400 he'd like you to believe it's different, but it's still just a
current clamp. Can't help but wonder if he makes more money fixing cars or
selling probes...

>>Again, he may be good, but this problem has been going on for quite a while now
>>with no fix in sight.
>>Does he have a DRB?

>Again, he has all the DRB and other diagnostic tools. He has more than
>any of the Chrysler/Jeep dealerships in the area.
>
>The repairs are per acceptance of the insurance company, so I am
>restricted to who can make repairs. Also, this guy has already been
>paid for some parts and must warranty his work. Especially for the PCM
>he already replaced should it be defective.

In an earlier post you said YOU weren't going to pay for anymore replacement
parts. Why are YOU paying for stuff that's supposedly covered by your insurance?

Something smells bad here...

Old August 23rd 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Casper

bllsht > hacked up a hairball and the stain left
behind looked like this:

>Something smells bad here...

Yeah, it does.

EoC+BLK
Old August 25th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Casper

Seems like my additional question didn't come thru, so here it is
again...

In regards to the 19 GC Ltd PCM, are they interchangeable?
I have conflicting responses to this. On the one hand, I've been told
the 93 is interchangeable with the 94-95, but just needs to be
programmed. On the other hand I've been told the 93 computer is a
specific model and limited to that year. Can anyone shed some light?

I'd love to resolve my jeep issue and right now all fingers are
poiting to a faulty replacement computer (pull from another 93?) but
the tech is having trouble locating another 93. I'm having some
trouble swallowing the difficulty in locating a replacement.

All info greatly appreciated!
`Casper
Old August 25th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Casper

Well, my jeep is still in the shop. The techs scrambling to replace
the replacement PCM. So, I've started considering alternatives...

I'd like to hear information and opinions on two other cars I am
considering purchasing as a jeep replacement. My primary concerns are
comfort (I have back/neck issues), decent cargo space and economy.
Any comments on the PT Cruiser and Scion Xb? FYI, my husband hated the
Scion until we test drove one and now he prefers it to the PT.

Thanks!
`Casper
Old August 25th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Tell the cheap pricks to just buy a new one! They aren't 'that'
expensive. Folks have to buy them when the alternator's voltage
regulator goes dead (it's located inside the PCM instead of in the
alternator) so they 'are' available.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 25th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Here is a site that sells ECU's.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214295

And drill down to:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&catalo gid=1

I don't know if that long link will be valid.

They say the 12th digit of the VIN says it will be an early one if it is
a '1' and a later model if it has a '5' or higher.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 25th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

The link seems to answer the question about years. Only the ECM for
the V-8 covers years 1993 through 1995. All models of the 4.0 engine
have an ECM unique to 1993.

Dick

Old August 25th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Where do you get that?

At the bottom of each description it says 'Fits: 1993-1998 Jeep Grand
cherokee'....

Mike

Old August 25th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. I was going by the
year shown under the column "year." I wasn't looking at the box at
the bottom. Does seem that it is a contradiction though.

Dick