E46 & E 39 Coil recall?

Old November 5th 05, 02:18 AM
JimmyG

Default E46 & E 39 Coil recall?

My wife just had to have her 2003 E46 towed in for a HORRIBLE misfire.
Turned out that the coils were bad on two cyl's. A few months ago my 2003
E39 had to go through a similar repair, but for only one cyl.

Her repair order said " Recall # 12 13 05 OP# 0056083 for 7 FRU DFC#
0012100200583.....Vehicle has Bremi ignition coils. Installed Bosch coils."

I haven't seen anything about such a recall on any website. Any ideas
what's going on? Perhaps a "Silent" recall.
--
Jimmy

Old November 5th 05, 03:01 AM
Pete

"JimmyG" wrote

> I haven't seen anything about such a recall on any website. Any ideas
> what's going on? Perhaps a "Silent" recall.

Don't know of any BMW recalls, but it's interesting that Audi/VW in the
US had a recall on many 2001-2003 cars for the same reason - failing
coilpacks, with Bremi being the manufacturer. However, they were
getting replaced also with Bremi, just different (updated) coil design.

Pete

Old November 5th 05, 05:17 AM
as3

It is a recall of all Bremi coils, to be replaced by Bosch. BMW is not the
only company to use these coils. Bremi has had several updates in their
coils, but they still continue to fail. This is why BMW is replacing them
with Bosch coils.

Old November 5th 05, 05:23 AM
JimmyG

Thanks for the info!

I remember the Audi problems. That's why we bought BMW. Look where THAT
got us! Small price for an otherwise great car.

Old November 5th 05, 07:56 AM
Ian

Our 01 318 had 3 coils replaced at 75k miles. It is a know problem. We
had the last 3 coils at the dealer.

Old November 7th 05, 11:46 AM

JimmyG wrote:
> My wife just had to have her 2003 E46 towed in for a HORRIBLE misfire.
> Turned out that the coils were bad on two cyl's. A few months ago my 2003
> E39 had to go through a similar repair, but for only one cyl.
>
> Her repair order said " Recall # 12 13 05 OP# 0056083 for 7 FRU DFC#
> 0012100200583.....Vehicle has Bremi ignition coils. Installed Bosch coils."
>
> I haven't seen anything about such a recall on any website. Any ideas
> what's going on? Perhaps a "Silent" recall.
> --

I heard of this but AFAIR BMW (in the UK) wil only repalce if there is
actually a problem. i.e. they wait for you to break down before
they'll replace the coils.

Old November 7th 05, 05:32 PM
Don

JimmyG wrote:

> Her repair order said " Recall # 12 13 05 OP# 0056083 for 7 FRU DFC#
> 0012100200583.....Vehicle has Bremi ignition coils. Installed Bosch coils."
>
> I haven't seen anything about such a recall on any website. Any ideas
> what's going on? Perhaps a "Silent" recall.

I imagine they're mailing these out in stages - but I received the
recall notice for my '03 E39 touring. The coils are being replaced.

What's funny is the early M50 engines used Bosch coils - which had
problems so the Bremi were chosen to replace them. The Bremi were
supposed to be the "good ones".

So far the '03 has had two coils replaced under warranty.

Buick coolant recall suren Technology 4 April 6th 05 03:55 PM
leaf springs [email protected] Corvette 3 March 10th 05 10:42 PM
HELP!!! - Ignition coil problem on 99 LS1 Christopher Martin Corvette 0 October 10th 04 09:08 PM