Bellingham WA, USA. Source for VW tools?

Old November 16th 11, 09:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

Default Bellingham WA, USA. Source for VW tools?

Hi,
I'll be in Bellingham, WA USA and am looking for recommendations on stores selling tools I can't find in Canada. In particular I'm looking for an ABS hub adapter to remove front wheel bearings. See U-shaped tool here in first image
http://www.gtishrine.com/wheelbearing.php One store I have a lead on is Harbor Freight but am looking for other recommendations in Bellingham. My alternative now is a slide hammer.

The other tool I'm looking for is a one-person pressurized brake fluid changing tool. I have a Mighty Vac, but I find it sucks air in around the bleeder threads and doesn't give as solid a pedal feel as when having a helper pump the brake pedal. But I don't always have a helper so would like to take a look at a pressurized system. Thoughts?

Thanks
-Tony

Old November 17th 11, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

tonyw > wrote:

>Hi,
> I'll be in Bellingham, WA USA and am looking for recommendations on stores selling tools I can't find in Canada. In particular I'm looking for an ABS hub adapter to remove front wheel bearings. See U-shaped tool here in first image
>http://www.gtishrine.com/wheelbearing.php One store I have a lead on is Harbor Freight but am looking for other recommendations in Bellingham. My alternative now is a slide hammer.
>
> The other tool I'm looking for is a one-person pressurized brake fluid changing tool. I have a Mighty Vac, but I find it sucks air in around the bleeder threads and doesn't give as solid a pedal feel as when having a helper pump the brake pedal. But I don't always have a helper so would like to take a look at a pressurized system. Thoughts?

For one-person brake bleeding the only tool to use is the
Power Bleeder by Motive Products (www.motiveproducts.com) . I've
used one for years and it makes brake bleeding very easy to do by
yourself. Fill it with fluid, attach it to the master cylinder
reservoir then pump it up. Open the bleed screw and sit and watch the
fluid come out.
Gets more air out than a Mighty Vac or manual bleeding. Its
ease of use also makes it easy to flush out the whole system. I'll
put two quarts of fluid in the Power Bleeder and run 1/2 quart through
each caliper, that ensures you've got all the old fluid out.

One caveat. I have a VW which uses an adapter that threads on
the master cylinder reservoir. That adapter seals nice and tight, due
to it being threaded.
If you have to use the universal adapter make 100% sure that
the adapter is centered on the reservoir AND that it is tightened down
firmly. Pump up the pressure to test the seal BEFORE putting any
fluid in the Power Bleeder! If it doesn't seal well and you've got
fluid in the Power Bleeder - you'll get a big mess.

Todd
Old November 17th 11, 07:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

On Nov 16, 5:54*pm, wrote:
> For one-person brake bleeding the only tool to use is the
> Power Bleeder by Motive Products *(www.motiveproducts.com) . *I've
>
> Todd

Hi Todd,
Thanks for the recommendation, the motive bleeder looks straight
forward and controllable by the hand pump. Their 0100 model lists
their adapter fitting VW's too. I'll see if I can find one locally
otherwise it looks like Motive sells by mail order too.

I stopped in Bellingham today and found the Harbor Freight store but
didn't find anything there I couldn't find in locally in Vancouver.
Their brake bleeder was the Might Vac, another vacuum system based on
shop air, and catch-bottles for the 2-person pump-the-brake-pedal
method. However I did find another eclectic store called "Hardware
Sales" http://www.hardwaresales.net/ which had a huge selection of
hardware, household, lighting, plumbing, automotive, safety, you-name-
it items you'd need to fix something or put something together. And
the staff know their stuff and are super friendly. While I was there,
a customer in an electric wheel chair came in and the assembly holding
the control lever was lose. She asked the sales rep if had a screw or
something to hold it together and he proceeded to find bits and pieces
to make a permanent, solid fix. That's uncommon customer service. I
ended up buying quite a bit of hard-to-find items there, so a good
find for the day.

-Tony
Old March 11th 12, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

Hi,
Portland Oregon. I'm planning my next trip to the US, this time I'll be in Portland OR. Anyone have recommendations on where to buy the Motive Power Bleeder (kit 0109) in downtown Portland? I had no luck on the last trip to Bellingham. http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.c...109_p_101.html

thanks,
-Tony

Tools DougW[_2_] Jeep 2 October 29th 09 06:53 PM
which tools ummm_sexy Honda 0 August 6th 07 08:55 PM
What tools do I need? Troy Jeep 13 September 18th 06 01:38 AM
tools curbrider VW water cooled 1 July 8th 06 01:10 PM
Source for Audi Tools Or Rentals John Audi 2 March 12th 05 03:16 AM