Whats it cost.

Old March 13th 12, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

Default Whats it cost.

To restore a VW air-cooled these days.

A few scenarios .

A disassembled rolling good body bug. With and without a motor.

One with welded in rust repair panels. that needs assembled and painted.
Not running. or with the original motor that was running when it was parked.

A running rust bucket.

A not running rust bucket.

And the very popular. I started to restore it, but realized I'm over my
head, but I took it apart . And need to sell it now bug.

Thanks,

Diesel.

Old March 13th 12, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"DogDiesel" > wrote in message
> To restore a VW air-cooled these days.
>
> A few scenarios .
>
> A disassembled rolling good body bug. With and without a motor.
>
> One with welded in rust repair panels. that needs assembled and painted.
> Not running. or with the original motor that was running when it was
> parked.
>
> A running rust bucket.
>
> A not running rust bucket.
>
> And the very popular. I started to restore it, but realized I'm over my
> head, but I took it apart . And need to sell it now bug.

Oh yea, Anything dunebuggy / off road style. They kinda scare me .
But usually they are running. I figure people start cutting things up
when they dont want to spend any money anymore.

Old March 13th 12, 11:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
KWW[_2_]

I will be interested in the answers here.... but one disheartening thing
I have found is that with all the enviro-regulations getting a good
paint job has gotten to be the highest priced part of the venture.
(other stuff you can do yourself) Also the durability of the paint
available is lacking.
KWW

Old March 17th 12, 09:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Totally agree with comments re paint KWW. My better half thinks I,m a little
odd in insisting I do things myself but at least they are done properly( if
slowly!). Like you I rely on others for paint though and I,m sick of paying
big money for orange peel, non existent preparation, fading, mismatched
colurs, oxidisation.

Old March 18th 12, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"John" > wrote in message
> Totally agree with comments re paint KWW. My better half thinks I,m a
> little odd in insisting I do things myself but at least they are done
> properly( if slowly!). Like you I rely on others for paint though and I,m
> sick of paying big money for orange peel, non existent preparation,
> fading, mismatched colurs, oxidisation.

Prep work and block sanding is very labor intensive. And that makes or
breaks a good paint job.

Old March 18th 12, 08:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Spot on. My T3 had a respray at some stage which is now falling off!. One
can see original paint has had absolutely no preparation.

Whats new Private Royalty 4x4 1 December 9th 08 01:35 AM
Whats in my 95 YJ jerryg Jeep 6 November 5th 07 04:49 PM
whats this.... Domestos Alfa Romeo 11 October 16th 05 10:54 AM
Whats the best/right way to .... Dick VW air cooled 1 September 29th 05 04:22 AM
Whats the Cost of '05 Saleen S281SC fully Loaded? noirluispher Ford Mustang 7 November 25th 04 03:04 AM