Dumb question time . . . .

Old May 25th 13, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default Dumb question time . . . .

I have an 88 XJ that I was going to use for parts for my 89 XJ but my son
needs it running because it's in better shape or at least has the potential
to be better than the 89 Astrovan he currently has.

Over the past couple years that I've had it I've managed to forget where the
vent lines from the BA10/5 and T-case mount on the engine block after I
pulled the starter for a spare to keep on the shelf.

Can anyone tell me where they go?

Thanks!

Budd
--
2012 election defined:

"Insanity is doing the same thing
again and expecting different results."

Old May 26th 13, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

Budd Cochran wrote:
> I have an 88 XJ that I was going to use for parts for my 89 XJ but my
> son needs it running because it's in better shape or at least has the
> potential to be better than the 89 Astrovan he currently has.
>
> Over the past couple years that I've had it I've managed to forget
> where the vent lines from the BA10/5 and T-case mount on the engine
> block after I pulled the starter for a spare to keep on the shelf.
>
> Can anyone tell me where they go?

not a clue. :/
I'd probably just route it up and out of the way with a J bend at the top or a small screen just to keep stuff out. Similar to the
front axle vent that clips to the airbox on my ZJ.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-652142/
This shows it going forward, but that's all I've found so far.

Old May 27th 13, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Budd Cochran wrote:
>> I have an 88 XJ that I was going to use for parts for my 89 XJ but my
>> son needs it running because it's in better shape or at least has the
>> potential to be better than the 89 Astrovan he currently has.
>>
>> Over the past couple years that I've had it I've managed to forget
>> where the vent lines from the BA10/5 and T-case mount on the engine
>> block after I pulled the starter for a spare to keep on the shelf.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me where they go?

> not a clue. :/
> I'd probably just route it up and out of the way with a J bend at the top
> or a small screen just to keep stuff out. Similar to the front axle vent
> that clips to the airbox on my ZJ.
>
> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-652142/
> This shows it going forward, but that's all I've found so far.

Thanks, Doug.

I'll give the local dealership a try, but they aren't that "Jeep friendly"
.... their focus is Dodge and GMC trucks, and they've given bad info in the
past . . . . like when I replaced the axle bearings (D-35 no c-clip) and
they said the retainer plates weren't available at all (mine were damage by
an inept '"mechanic" in the past.

Budd

Old May 27th 13, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

> Thanks, Doug.
>
> I'll give the local dealership a try, but they aren't that "Jeep
> friendly" ... their focus is Dodge and GMC trucks, and they've given
> bad info in the past . . . . like when I replaced the axle bearings
> (D-35 no c-clip) and they said the retainer plates weren't available
> at all (mine were damage by an inept '"mechanic" in the past.
>
> Budd

NP.

I have some of the 88 FSM in pdf if you want it.
Doesn't have anything on routing.. Just the basic specs.

Lemme know if you want it.. postmaster@ my domain

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W Stereo PPI/Audio Control - Bilstein HD Shocks

Old May 28th 13, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
>> Thanks, Doug.
>>
>> I'll give the local dealership a try, but they aren't that "Jeep
>> friendly" ... their focus is Dodge and GMC trucks, and they've given
>> bad info in the past . . . . like when I replaced the axle bearings
>> (D-35 no c-clip) and they said the retainer plates weren't available
>> at all (mine were damage by an inept '"mechanic" in the past.
>>
>> Budd

> NP.
>
> I have some of the 88 FSM in pdf if you want it.
> Doesn't have anything on routing.. Just the basic specs.
>
> Lemme know if you want it.. postmaster@ my domain
>

> --
> -- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
> HESCO Supercharger - 300W Stereo PPI/Audio Control - Bilstein HD Shocks
> Flowmaster Exhaust - rear DCpower - custom gauge install - Brembo Rotors
> Banks Header - and BEER, in the fridge! Who says old=slow.

I did some searching on the 'net and found some articles on "extending" the
vent lines for fording and mud crawling ... so, a little "backward
engineering" by noting where they said they found the upper ends attached
and I got my answers: upper bellhousing bolt.

Now the problem is figuring out which side since one article said "drivers"
and none of the others were specific.

Tomorrow, it goes back up on the stands for starter and fuel filter and if i
can get to it easily with extensions, the vents on the driver's side upper
bolt.

Thanks!!

Budd

Old May 29th 13, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Budd Cochran wrote:

> "DougW" > wrote in message
>>> Thanks, Doug.
>>>
>>> I'll give the local dealership a try, but they aren't that "Jeep
>>> friendly" ... their focus is Dodge and GMC trucks, and they've given
>>> bad info in the past . . . . like when I replaced the axle bearings
>>> (D-35 no c-clip) and they said the retainer plates weren't available
>>> at all (mine were damage by an inept '"mechanic" in the past.
>>>
>>> Budd

>> NP.
>>
>> I have some of the 88 FSM in pdf if you want it.
>> Doesn't have anything on routing.. Just the basic specs.
>>
>> Lemme know if you want it.. postmaster@ my domain
>>

>> --
>> -- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
>> HESCO Supercharger - 300W Stereo PPI/Audio Control - Bilstein HD Shocks
>> Flowmaster Exhaust - rear DCpower - custom gauge install - Brembo Rotors
>> Banks Header - and BEER, in the fridge! Who says old=slow.
>>

> I did some searching on the 'net and found some articles on "extending"
> the vent lines for fording and mud crawling ... so, a little "backward
> engineering" by noting where they said they found the upper ends attached
> and I got my answers: upper bellhousing bolt.
>
> Now the problem is figuring out which side since one article said
> "drivers" and none of the others were specific.
>
> Tomorrow, it goes back up on the stands for starter and fuel filter and if
> i can get to it easily with extensions, the vents on the driver's side
> upper bolt.
>
> Thanks!!

Budd, my MJ had the bracket mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle. I
just can't recall if the thing was under a bell housing bolt or bolted to
the firewall. Either would work if you have enough slack in the lines.
--
WHonea
Old May 29th 13, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
> Budd Cochran wrote:

>>> NP.
>>>
>>> I have some of the 88 FSM in pdf if you want it.
>>> Doesn't have anything on routing.. Just the basic specs.
>>>
>>> Lemme know if you want it.. postmaster@ my domain
>>>

>>> --
>>> -- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
>>> HESCO Supercharger - 300W Stereo PPI/Audio Control - Bilstein HD Shocks
>>> Flowmaster Exhaust - rear DCpower - custom gauge install - Brembo Rotors
>>> Banks Header - and BEER, in the fridge! Who says old=slow.
>>>

>> I did some searching on the 'net and found some articles on "extending"
>> the vent lines for fording and mud crawling ... so, a little "backward
>> engineering" by noting where they said they found the upper ends attached
>> and I got my answers: upper bellhousing bolt.
>>
>> Now the problem is figuring out which side since one article said
>> "drivers" and none of the others were specific.
>>
>> Tomorrow, it goes back up on the stands for starter and fuel filter and
>> if
>> i can get to it easily with extensions, the vents on the driver's side
>> upper bolt.
>>
>> Thanks!!

> Budd, my MJ had the bracket mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle.
> just can't recall if the thing was under a bell housing bolt or bolted to
> the firewall. Either would work if you have enough slack in the lines.
> --
> WHonea

Will and Doug,

I just trapped the clip for the hoses under the top starter bolt for now as
we've got to get it running by the weekend.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Budd

Probably A Dumb Question butch94 Corvette 31 October 20th 07 02:35 PM
Dumb question about DSG Chris[_9_] VW water cooled 1 October 12th 06 06:03 PM
just a dumb question mab6680 Ford Explorer 4 December 15th 05 03:15 AM
Dumb Question.... cassie Mazda 5 February 5th 05 03:43 PM
Air con (maybe) dumb question... Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 2 February 4th 05 04:33 AM