Which glue, available at any hardware store, for the screen of a mobile phone?

Old February 6th 19, 02:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
arlen holder

Default Which glue, available at any hardware store, for the screen of a mobile phone?

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 20:19:53 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

> A while back the State of California in its infinite wisdom decreed that
> gas cans shall be made in such a way as to benefit the environment while
> enraging the users. That may have been removing the little vent on the
> opposite side from the spout or something completely different. There
> are do-it-yourself or buy-it-yourself solutions to the problem. Years
> ago, and our steel jerry cans might have been made by actual Jerries.

This is off topic to the original question, but with all the snow today,
I ended up teaching the grandkids how to throw snowballs and to make little
snowmen (since the snow doesn't last more than a few hours out here).

On those California gas cans...

I spent a lot of time on the phone with the CARB folks over the years
o I wrote it up on alt.home.repair at the time in its gory detail
o From memory, they only allowed 6 "brands" in California at the time
o Each had to certify losses of almost zero ounces after six months storage
(I don't remember the specific amount, nor the exact temperature and
pressure conditions, so take that as a general summary).

I believe that the comment by Ralph Mowery is apropos that the EPA "may"
have followed suit in the intervening years since CARB promulgated those
standards.

My remarks to CARB were, at the time, the "irony" that they spec'd that the
gas _stay inside_ the can ... but not that it could reasonably come _out_.

Literally, there is no spec for the ease of gas coming out.
o Where all our complaints are generally about getting the gas out.

As I recall, there were 3 standards that greatly affected the handyman:
1. There is no longer a vent (which, IMHO, isn't really the problem here)
2. There must be child proof caps (which, most of us know how to defeat)
3. The gas must stay inside (they measure loss by weight over time)
Actually #1 is simply a component of #3 I think, but #1 is noticeable.

What I do is very simple.

Since I live in the mountains, and since I'm long retired, as is my wife, I
gas up with 70 gallons or so at Costco once every few weeks.

Then I put the cans along a wall that is about 10 feet high (give or take),
where they stay until we drive a car up to that wall, and siphon the gas
out.

I keep three 10 foot long 1/2 inch OD vinyl hoses (Ace is better than
either Lowes or Home Depot for _clear_ vinyl hose, which yellows over
time), so that I can put 15 gallons in any one tank during any one setting.

You can get away with almost half of that 10 feet but why bother, since the
longer the hose, the more time you have, where 10 feet is just about
perfect.

I have a pipe that I sometimes use to keep the bottom of the hose in the
bottom corner, and a wooden wedge that tilts the cans up a bit at the
front, but that's just finesse.

In addition, I have a modified funnel, with more of that hose taped to the
bottom, so that it's easy to get the last few drops out of the gas cans
(where again, the Blitz cans suck compared to the Costco cans).

Notice that the spout is just a bung cap, where it serves no purpose other
than to cap the can. Hence the best caps are the STRONGEST ones, which tend
to be the type that have the spout that stores inside the can.

The "shiny" plastic caps suck, compared to the dull plastic ones (I'd have
to check the brand to be sure which brand it is), where it's flimsy by way
of comparison.

What I really need, I haven't looked for, is a simple "bung" cap for _all_
my gas cans, since it's kind of a pain that the inside storage caps "drip"
a bit since I fill the cans to the utmost.

Funnily enough, California recently enacted a law (a year or two ago?) that
you can no longer fill cans larger than 6 gallons, but other than that, you
can put as many cans in your car, legally, as you can fit (as long as you
don't exceed FEDERAL (DOT) laws which are 600 POUNDS (not gallons, but
pounds) of "hazardous material" when transporting it).

NOTE: Last I checked, NY was one state which limited gasoline to 25
gallons, which I haven't checked since because I'm in California.

For storage at home, the Fire Marshal doesn't care how many jerry jugs you
have as long as they're in approved containers, and as long as they aren't
stored next to the propane tanks (which, themselves, have to be a certain
distance, I think 10 feet but maybe 15 or 20?) from flammable material.

OSHA doesn't play a role, but they told me exactly how to build a safe
container which has a pan to catch spillage and vents to allow venting and
it's covered otherwise, to prevent exposure to the elements.

The EPA plays a role only when the containers get to a certain size, I
think it was 49 gallons (but I'd have to check), where then you need to
deal with capturing venting during filling, where you can buy at McMasters
for a few hundred bucks a gas dispensing setup for 50-gallon enamel inside
steel drums for storage.

The problem with the 50-gallon drums (which are slightly less for the
reasons stated above, I was told), is that it's really hard to get a
DELIVERY here in California of fewer than about 300 gallons.

There was one more spec, as I recall, which kicks in at 300 gallons when
stored at a residence, but I forget what it was (EPA maybe?).

Years ago I wrote all this up when I first set up my fuel attainment,
storage, and delivery system - which has been working beautifully ever
since.

In fact, my wife in the past 25 years has _never_ been to a gas station.
Her vehicle is always perpetually filled up by me.

Even the neighbors know they can borrow five gallons for their generators
any time they want (our power goes out at least monthly, on average)
although most have their own generators, as I do, which run on separate
1000 gallon propane tanks.

If you want pictures of anything I've said above, just ask, as my
credibility is not like that of the 3 children who frequent this newsgroup
who (a) are stupid, and who (b) don't know anything as a result, and (c)
who just make everything up, and (d) who always prove to act like children.

You know who you the 3 children are since they chitchat so well together:
From: Fox's Mercantile >
From: John-Del >
From: " >
et al.
Old February 6th 19, 02:06 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
arlen holder

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 01:00:28 -0000 (UTC), arlen holder wrote:

> Then I put the cans along a wall that is about 10 feet high (give or take),
> where they stay until we drive a car up to that wall, and siphon the gas
> out.

Hi The Real Bev,

One more interesting related detail...

BTW, I was once surprised, many years ago, that you can no longer siphon
gas from one vehicle to another (depending on the vehicle, of course), due
not necessarily to "anti-siphon" devices, but due to a "ball" that is
intended to prevent spillage when the vehicle rolls over.

The ball "acts" as an anti-siphon device though - but I was told when I
asked about it on the respective automotive forums, that the main intent of
the ball was to prevent rollover leakage.

That may or may not be the case, but the empirical fact is that it's not
possible to siphon easily from one vehicle to another for many vehicles
(without playing with the fuel injection system anyway).
Old February 6th 19, 02:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
arlen holder

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 01:06:33 -0000 (UTC), arlen holder wrote:

> One more interesting related detail...

Hi The Real Bev,

Off the cuff, while we're at the detail of gas cans for perpetual home
refueling, I found that it's best to fill the trunk with as many cans as
can fit, since that prevents them bouncing around on windy mountain roads.

Also, if octane ratings are an issue, most people on these two newsgroups
should know the basic math (except the 3 little kids, pfjw, John-Del, &
Fox's Mercantile).

Given I buy only at Costco (which is Top Tier with respect to poly ether
amines, but I buy it for price and ease of filling since they're almost
always empty in San Jose once they expanded their station to a huge size),
they only have 87 and 91 AKI (which is the average of the research and
motor methods for anti-knock index).

You can just mix proportionate parts of each to get any rating in between
that you may care about.

I have vehicles that "require" the higher octane rated fuel but I rarely,
if ever, bother to mix the appropriate mix since they have knock sensors on
the side of the engine which enable the engine electronics to retard the
timing, if I were to need it.

In reality, I've studied it for my particular vehicle (a bimmer) which
pretty much, the way I drive anyway, doesn't _need_ the higher octane rated
fuel, which, as you may know, isn't "better" (it's just different).

A ton of morons out there think a higher octane rating means it's more
flammable (how many times have you heard about "high octane fuel" fires,
where only a moron thinks they burn any better or worse than lower-octane
rated fuel fires, within the settings of the typical automotive fuel.

Heck, kerosene has a higher octane rating than does automotive gasoline,
which is lost on those morons who think "hi-test" gives them "better
performance" (if their engine is working correctly and if it's spec'd for
the "regular"), where the octane rating is simply an average computed by
making a comparison to a mixture of heptane & what people refer to as
"iso-octane" but it's really 2,2,4-tri-methyl pentane.

All this you probably know, but I only state it because in my household,
there are vehicles spec'd for different octane ratings, where, if I cared
to mix the fuel, I could, but I don't bother for reasons that I know when a
vehicle will ping (e.g., high load, high heat, malfunctioning EGR, etc.)
and where it won't ping - and even if it "tried", the timing would be
momentarily retarded (which has a momentary negative effect, to be sure, on
performance but it won't "hurt" the engine).

In short, you can go to Costco, fill up as many cans as you can fit in your
trunk, and put them high alongside the driveway (or on the roof of the
vehicle under a towel) and fuel up at your own convenience.

In general, it takes four minutes and change for every five gallons.

Again, if you want photos of anything I've stated, let me know,
as my credibility is stellar on facts, since I only speak facts
as any reasonably intelligent adult would.

Note that any response from the 3 children will _always_ be that of a child.
o " >
o Fox's Mercantile >
o John-Del >
Old February 6th 19, 02:39 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 02/05/2019 05:06 PM, arlen holder wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 01:00:28 -0000 (UTC), arlen holder wrote:
>
>> Then I put the cans along a wall that is about 10 feet high (give or take),
>> where they stay until we drive a car up to that wall, and siphon the gas
>> out.

> Hi The Real Bev,
>
> One more interesting related detail...
>
> BTW, I was once surprised, many years ago, that you can no longer siphon
> gas from one vehicle to another (depending on the vehicle, of course), due
> not necessarily to "anti-siphon" devices, but due to a "ball" that is
> intended to prevent spillage when the vehicle rolls over.
>
> The ball "acts" as an anti-siphon device though - but I was told when I
> asked about it on the respective automotive forums, that the main intent of
> the ball was to prevent rollover leakage.
>
> That may or may not be the case, but the empirical fact is that it's not
> possible to siphon easily from one vehicle to another for many vehicles
> (without playing with the fuel injection system anyway).

This would have been useful maybe 10 years ago when our 1970 Dodge truck
ran out of gas on the freeway. The gas gauge had never worked, so I
just kept track of the mileage and filled up when appropriate. Little
did I know that somebody had siphoned my tank. Tow home, much
diagnosis, and ultimately added some gas to the tank. Feh. Bought a
locking cap the next day.

--
Cheers, Bev
A spokesperson for 60s band 'the animals' has today made a

Old February 6th 19, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 02/05/2019 05:26 PM, arlen holder wrote:

> In short, you can go to Costco, fill up as many cans as you can fit in your
> trunk, and put them high alongside the driveway (or on the roof of the
> vehicle under a towel) and fuel up at your own convenience.

Long ago our 1968 van had a fuel-delivery problem -- either the fuel
pump or a kink in the gas tank vent by the filler tube. For the rest of
the trip I held a gas can in my lap with a tube running into the carb.
Not pleasant, but functional.

We got the just-purchased ancient monsterhome (can't remember the
problem) up out of a RR underpass by feeding in shots of starting fluid.

There are real advantages to having the engine right next to the driver.
Not many, though.

--
Cheers, Bev
(On going to war over religion "You're basically killing each other