"Clunk!" in Front End During Slow Turns

Old January 5th 05, 12:51 AM
Will Honea

My middle son got a great buy on one for his wife - she liked the room
and the fact that when she stepped on the skinny pedal it would jump -
to replace her little Nissan pu. We were looking at what would need
to be done to swap in 4wd but gave it up as not practical in his
situation. Assuming a complete donor from a wreck, the front axle was
really simple, no hassle at all. What turned him off was the issues
with the transmission, tc, and drive shafts. Unless tou swapped the
whole tranny/tc assembly from the donor there was a lot of hassle and
cussing to get the tc married to the auto in that 91. The final
killer was that the available swap was geared differently than his
stock D44 read axle - the gear swap drove the price too high to be
worth the effort. If you could get a complete donor then a straight
side-by-side swap would not be that difficult but it would be time
consuming.

--
Will Honea
Old January 7th 05, 01:49 AM
Mike Becker

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 14:06:35 -0600, Mike Becker wrote:

> During any sort of
> slower turn (sub 15mph) a loud "clunk" noise shoots out from the front end
> of the vehicle.

Picked up some parts today. I got a complete set of sway bar bushings plus
some new links. The guys on jeepforum.com suggested that it might be the
calipers so I'm going to go ahead and replace those too. I'll be sure to
post back afterwards if I'm able to solve the problem.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;
Old January 7th 05, 03:31 PM
Mike Romain

I would replace that one broken link before spending another cent on it!

I do not think the 'extra' parts are needed nor do I recommend changing
calipers because that opens up a whole other issue with brake fluids,
master cylinders that can/will fail while bleeding, etc...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 7th 05, 06:00 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I can't imagine why the parts counter guy suggests front calibers
for a "clunk" noise.??
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 7th 05, 07:21 PM
DougW

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> I can't imagine why the parts counter guy suggests front calibers
> for a "clunk" noise.??

Sounded a bit odd to me as well. If calipers are clunking it's usually due
to worn mounting bolts or bushings, both cheap and easy to fix. Then usually
they don't "clunk" but rather just cause abnormal (unequal) pad wear.

Old January 8th 05, 01:18 AM
Mike Becker

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:00:48 -0800, L.W.Hughes III wrote:

> I can't imagine why the parts counter guy suggests front calibers
> for a "clunk" noise.??

It was actually a few guys on jeepforum.com. Several had a mechanic
suggest they replace their calipers for a "clunk" similar to mine, and when
they did it cured it. I'm not really sure what the logic is or why it
would cause a "clunk". Maybe a lazy/spongy caliper? O_o

I've been having other brake problems anyway (squeaky and pulsating, even
with new rotors), so for $18 a pop after core, I figured what the heck.
The brake fluid is orangeish with lots of black floaters. Hopefully
changing it doesn't cause problems with the master cylinder, but it seems
like it's ready to me. This is all pretty much a last ditch effort. After
this it's going to a mechanic

--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;
Old January 12th 05, 04:25 AM
Mike Becker

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:49:38 -0600, Mike Becker wrote:

> Picked up some parts today. I got a complete set of sway bar bushings plus
> some new links. The guys on jeepforum.com suggested that it might be the
> calipers so I'm going to go ahead and replace those too. I'll be sure to
> post back afterwards if I'm able to solve the problem.

Well, it's better, but not completely fixed. After I replaced the calipers
and flushed the system with new fluid, the rapid "clunk-clunk-clunk" while
going through turns went away. However, I still had a single "clunk" every
once in a while. I replaced the sway bar frame and link bushings, but that
didn't fix it.

The remaining clunk usually happens when I'm in reverse, but it also
happens when going forward. I don't necessarily have to be turning at all.
Since there's still a clunk but the type and cause have changed after
installing the calipers, I assume it's related to the original problem.
I'm going to drive on it for a few days and see what it does.

--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;
Old January 12th 05, 03:50 PM
Mike Romain

The calipers were the main noise makers?

Ok.....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 13th 05, 12:36 AM
Mike Becker

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:50:43 -0500, Mike Romain wrote:

> The calipers were the main noise makers?
>
> Ok.....

It appears that way, or at least they were affecting the main noise makers
in some way such that it's not making as much noise now.

--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;