brakes - front vs rear

Old June 4th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k

Default brakes - front vs rear

my son took his jeep in to check the brakes...
they replaced the rear rotors (60k) and pads, fronts were ok.

I was wondering.....
can brakes be treated like tires ? are they the same front/rear ?

Since he now has new rotors and pads on the rear,
could he - instead - move the front rotors & pads to the rear,
and install the new sets on the front ?

Is the labor involved not worth it - compared to the cost of the new parts ?

--
----------------------------------
"If everything seems to be going well,

Old June 4th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

ps56k wrote:
> my son took his jeep in to check the brakes...
> they replaced the rear rotors (60k) and pads, fronts were ok.
>
> I was wondering.....
> can brakes be treated like tires ? are they the same front/rear ?
>
> Since he now has new rotors and pads on the rear,
> could he - instead - move the front rotors & pads to the rear,
> and install the new sets on the front ?
>
> Is the labor involved not worth it - compared to the cost of the new parts ?

Brakes are not like tires. The rear rotors wouldn't fit the front.
As long as the front brakes have plenty of pad left, no need to touch
them.

Fairly common to do the front brakes a bit more often than the rears,
rarely do all four wear at the same rate.

Old June 4th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_28_]

It won't work but a more serious question is why the rears would wear out
before the fronts? Elementary physics says that the fronts will wear out
first. Hopefully there is a simple explanation like this is a used Jeep and
the fronts have already been replaced once or twice.

Earle

news

Old June 4th 08, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Coasty[_7_]

could be driving with the emergency brake engaged or improperly adjusted
Coasty

Old June 5th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

That would wear out the little drum inside the rear rotor...

I'd go for the fronts already having been done, or a very bad equalizer.

Old June 5th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ps56k

yeah - he bought it used last year....
I think the fronts were recently done, as they looked "in good shape",
and the rears just finally caught up at 60k...

Old June 5th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

60K seems a tad low. I didnt need to touch the rears on a ZJ until
just over 100K, and even then they really werent in any kind of danger.

Old June 6th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_6_]

"Lon" > wrote in message
. ..
60K seems a tad low. I didnt need to touch the rears on a ZJ until
just over 100K, and even then they really werent in any kind of danger.

---

Could be that the previous owner 'rode' his brakes.
I see a LOT of that out here, especially with the elder crowd. They start
braking three blocks before the green light and at least half a mile before
a curve.

I wouldn't put too much worry into it. If the fronts are fine, and you had
the rears replaced... then he's good to go! Get that little monster out and
get it dirty!

--
Kate
______

The shortest distance between two points,
is a lot more fun in a Jeep!