Replace Manual Trans w/ Auto

Old December 1st 04, 05:20 AM
Dean

Default Replace Manual Trans w/ Auto

OK, being the some what resident jeep expert at work a friend asked me a
question that I didn't quite know how to answer. I know y'all will know. Seems
he has a new to him 88 YJ with the Peugeot transmission. Apparently like many
Peugeots it is toast. The rest of the Jeep is stock and in good shape for its
age. He wants to replace the dead manual trans with an automatic.

His question to me is what does this entail? Off the top of my head I thought
he'd have to acquire the auto trans, bell housing and shift linkage. New front
and rear drive shafts because the auto is longer and would move the transfer
case back. (Might be wrong there) And some way to control the shifting of the
auto (is this vintage Jeep's auto trans computer controlled?) Anything I forgot
or got wrong?

Given that cost is an object is it feasible to do this swap?

TIA
Dean
http://home.comcast.net/~1redcreek/
(if anyone cares this used to go to monogramsinc.com.)
Old December 1st 04, 07:51 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think the cheapest way to go would to find a donor YJ with it's
TF999, and put his body on it:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/yj_87_95_swap.htm Everything has to
change, as you figured.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O