97 Jetta GT rear brake caliper bracket bolts stripping

Old October 6th 04, 08:26 PM
Chad Leigh

Default 97 Jetta GT rear brake caliper bracket bolts stripping

Hi

Yesterday I successfully replaced the rear brake disc and pads on the
driver side rear wheel on my 97 Jetta GT. I had to go to Sears and
Checker Auto 2x each to get various tools, a halogen light as it got
dark, and other things :-) but it was successful. I used both the
Bentley and Haynes manuals.

Today, with my knowledge gained yesterday :-), I am doing the passenger
side rear. However, the two bolts with the female hex openings that
hold the caliper bracket seem to thoroughly be rusted in place. I have
soaked them repeatedly with some super penetrating rust buster I bought
as well as some WD40. Using a socket male hex end I have been trying to
loosen them up. On one of them, the socket ratchet suddenly gave way
and the inside seems to be stripped out :-( and the other one has been
damaged inside but not yet stripped when the male hex end suddenly
popped out.

I would like some hints and help on how to get these bolts out (
obviously they will have to be replaced).

I am wishing that VW used standard bolts with normal hex bolt heads (
outside) so I could use a normal socket. They are easier to control...

Thanks for any hints and help
Chad
Old October 6th 04, 08:46 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Chad Leigh wrote:

>Today, with my knowledge gained yesterday :-), I am doing the passenger
>side rear. However, the two bolts with the female hex openings that
>hold the caliper bracket seem to thoroughly be rusted in place. I have
>soaked them repeatedly with some super penetrating rust buster I bought
>as well as some WD40. Using a socket male hex end I have been trying to
>loosen them up. On one of them, the socket ratchet suddenly gave way
>and the inside seems to be stripped out :-( and the other one has been
>damaged inside but not yet stripped when the male hex end suddenly
>popped out.
>
>I would like some hints and help on how to get these bolts out (
>obviously they will have to be replaced).

I suggest pounding the hex wrench into the good bolt. What is that
-- 7 mm? Also grip the outside of the bolt head with a good ViseGrip
pliers. Tighten the wrench as much as you can. Apply torque with
both tools at the same time.

For the bad one, perhaps you can pound a slightly bigger wrench
inside. instead of 7 mm, you might get a 9/32. If it is 8 mm, try
to find a 21/64. Perhaps somebody will know of an easy-out.

On the other hand, perhaps pounding the allen wrench and the
ViceGrip extra-tight will be enough even on the bad screw.

Old October 6th 04, 10:15 PM
Woodchuck

Yes, not a good choice for VW to use then style of bolts. It maybe to late
but I always use Allen sockets made by Snap-on tools because they are the
best and will not round out the bolts. Been-there-done-that!

Old October 7th 04, 06:07 PM
Chad Leigh

Thanks to all who responded, on and off-line. I tried various things
suggested.

I was able to get the one out that I descrobed as not yet stripped (
though it was stripped by the time I got it out). Vice grips to the
rescue. The other one I have not been able to get out and I will
probably just take it in and have a mechanic get it out.

As I am sitting on jackstands with it, I don't trust myself with a torch
that close to the gas tank (it is on the same side).

I put some new pads on the old rotor for now and the car is drivable
again, for now.

Thanks all
Chad
Old October 8th 04, 03:48 AM
LaM

Just replaced the discs and pad on my 88 Scirocco. I used the hex wrench
AND the wheel bolt wrench that comes with the car. After soaking for a few
minutes with WD-40 and Liquid Wrench, I put the open end on the wheel bolt
wrench over the hex wrench and had a little more leverage. Worked on both
sides with some effort. The car was on jack stands as well as I had the
floor jack in place as backup. Good luck!
Lloyd