"Lights on" chime not working (97 TJ - doors ON)

Old May 25th 05, 03:37 AM
Jeff Strickland

None of the buzzers asnd bells work, but the dome lights go on and off?

If this is true, then the buzzers and bells have been removed or otherwise
bypassed. The dome lights and the buzzers and bells all work from the same
switch and fuse.

ups.com...

Old May 25th 05, 03:42 AM
Jeff Strickland

Have you looked INSIDE the socket where the fuse goes to see if there are
any wires. Somebody has found a central location to cut all of that stuff
out by snipping a single wire. I don't know how much trouble it would be,
but when the fuse is pulled, only one wire in the fuse holder is hot, the
other one can be pushed out the back, and in this case there would be no
'lectrical issues and the circuit would be dead even if the fuse was put
back in.

The PO could have gotten tricky and added a switch to disable the circuit
.... Do you have any switches that don't make sense?

Old May 25th 05, 03:59 AM
mic canic

that was the point it's not there

Old May 25th 05, 02:17 PM
Mike Romain

LOL! I 'used' to live there.....
;-)

Mike

Old May 25th 05, 02:40 PM
HG97TJ

partly correct...the buzzers and bells don't work but the dome lights
only work when turned on using the headlight switch on the dash. The
lights DO NOT go on when the door is opened. If these 3 features are
all controlled by the #4 fuse then I have to think something has been
disabled to kill all 3. I'll check behind the fuse box to see if the
wires are still there as suggested.

Old May 25th 05, 03:09 PM
Mike Romain

That fuse controls the buzzer and door switches. The headlight switch
is independent of these so it works fine.

Did the previous owner also disable the clutch override so it can start
in gear? You might want to check that for safety sake.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 25th 05, 07:24 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And you remember? ;-)
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 26th 05, 02:03 PM
HG97TJ

That was it Jeff. I pulled the fuse box out and saw that one of the
wires for the #4 fuse was not plugged in all the way in preventing
contact to the fuse. Pushed it in and it all works again. I'm
guessing that repeated removal and replacement of the fuse by the
previous owner caused the wire to get pushed out of the slot. Thanks
for the suggestion.

Howie

Old May 26th 05, 02:19 PM
Mike Romain

Wow, good one. Thanks for the follow-up!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 26th 05, 07:37 PM
Jeff Strickland

What are the odds that the cold wire would be pushed out of the fuse block?

You can be sure that if it was MY fuse block, the hot lead would have been
pushed out, and set the whole mess on fire.