Clutch release failure - opinions please...

Old October 10th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JettaPZ

Default Clutch release failure - opinions please...

Hello,

Tried posting this earlier - no joy. Anyway, i have an early '99 Jetta
WE; 2.0L, 020 transaxle, pretty heavily modified.
It's blown (Neuspeed supercharger) and that might provide some insight
here.

The problem is the clutch doesn't fully disengage, even if the clutch
cable is adjusted too tight.
I've pulled the endcap off and checked the operating lever, TO
bearing, and release rod. All look good.

If the clutch cover disintegrated wouldn't the clutch fail to engage?
Or if the release fingers are bent, shouldn't there be a real racket
as the assembly rotates? at the least, wouldn't there be a horrendous
vibration transmitted through the clutch cable to the pedal? If the
thrust plate retaining spring failed - could it account for the loss
of motion?
(obviously everything I can check without splitting the gearbox from
the engine has checked out OK)

All input is appreciated - I'd like to have the parts on hand before I
undertake this repair.

Thanks!
Old October 11th 09, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Check the clutch cable to make sure it is not broken internally causing it
to stretch.
(I thought that they did not use manually adjustable clutch cables anymore
at least here in the USA)
Check clutch pedal bracket to make sure it is not broken causing the pedal
to shift or the cable housing to shift.
Check the thrust bearings on the engine to make sure the crankshaft does not
slide in and out at the pulley.

When/if you take off the trans make sure the release shaft's tip that
presses on the release plate is still nice, smooth and round.
I have seen the flywheels crack & discs disintergrate. I have also seen the
release rod burn a hole through the release plate.

You might need:
Flywheel and high performance clutch kit

Old October 12th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JettaPZ

Thanks for the input!

1. Yes, I have a manual cable - ordered it through Parts4vws. Hate the
self-adjusting type. Lousy feel.
2. Will check the bracket - had that issue on a rabbit years ago. I
don't feel it flex, but that doesn't mean anything.
Plan on having an assistant eyeball the cable/release lever move
as I depress clutch; hopefully constant motion.
3. While I don't look forward to splitting the x-axle and engine, I
was thinking the release plate might have a wear spot/hole in it
Though the rod looked AOK and the TO bearing rotated easily and
smoothly.
4. Really hope it's not the thrust bearing - though on a very worn
1.7L I was able to see the oil pressure change when operating
the clutch. This engine has only 130K on it, and has been very
well maintained.