1999 Beetle Overheating

Old November 9th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
'whatever'

Default 1999 Beetle Overheating

Tried replacing the heat sensor .. Didn't help. The fan just doesn't come
on and the car over heats .. BUT .. With the a/c running the fan does come
on every minute or so and then there is no overheating problem .. Anyone ???

I miss my air-cooled VW ...

Diane

Old November 9th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
'whatever'

Default PS: 1999 Beetle Overheating

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but .. NO HEAT !!

Old November 9th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:55:05 -0500, "'whatever'" >
wrote:

>I don't know if this has anything to do with it but .. NO HEAT !!

Possibly has everything to do with it. Sounds like the cooling system
needs to be bleed, it has trapped air in it.

m...

Old November 10th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Yep it could be the cooling system is not full enough.....OR
The water pump impeller, if internal, is slipping and coolant is not flowing
fast enough. (plastic impellers suck!)
If your vehicle is less than 10 years old, under 100K miles then it may
still have a warranty.
You did not mention which engine you had!

Checks are....
Radiator has to get hot at all four corners
Heater Hoses have to get hot....both of them.

Now are you telling us that the light is blinking or the temperature gauge
is going all the way to HOT?

"PeterD" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:55:05 -0500, "'whatever'" >
> wrote:
>
>>I don't know if this has anything to do with it but .. NO HEAT !!
>>

> Possibly has everything to do with it. Sounds like the cooling system
> needs to be bleed, it has trapped air in it.

om...

Old November 10th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

'whatever' wrote:
> Tried replacing the heat sensor .. Didn't help. The fan just doesn't come
> on and the car over heats .. BUT .. With the a/c running the fan does come
> on every minute or so and then there is no overheating problem .. Anyone ???

I had a car once where the radiator fan wasn't coming on, causing the
car to overheat. The problem turned out to be one of the relays in the
electrical system. Granted, that was a different model of car (it
wasn't even a VW), but that could be something you should check.

Eric
Old November 10th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
'whatever'

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
> Yep it could be the cooling system is not full enough.....OR
> The water pump impeller, if internal, is slipping and coolant is not
> flowing fast enough. (plastic impellers suck!)
> If your vehicle is less than 10 years old, under 100K miles then it may
> still have a warranty.
> You did not mention which engine you had!
>
> Checks are....
> Radiator has to get hot at all four corners
> Heater Hoses have to get hot....both of them.
>
> Now are you telling us that the light is blinking or the temperature gauge
> is going all the way to HOT?
>

> "PeterD" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:55:05 -0500, "'whatever'" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't know if this has anything to do with it but .. NO HEAT !!
>>>

>> Possibly has everything to do with it. Sounds like the cooling system
>> needs to be bleed, it has trapped air in it.
>>
>>>"'whatever'" > wrote in message
>>>news:mPednaymQaX942XXnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@giganews. com...

One day it just had that hot smell .. sort of like hot coolant but the hot
light did not come on .. There was water in the beach ball looking "THING."
The place where you fill the radiator.

The following morning when I turned on the car, the blue temp light didn't
come on, it went directly to red. I turned it off and filled it with water.
It took at least a gallon or two. Didn't over heat after driving it for a
week, until the car was running for about 15 minutes while my son was doing
something with my stereo and amplifier ... After 15 minutes, maybe more it
boiled over ...

I took it to my NON VW mechanic and he tried changing out the heat sensor ..
that didn't help turn the fan on .. Fan only comes on when the a/c is
running. This is my first WATER COOLED bug .. pretty sure I am just going
to sell it ..

http://www.qoam.com/sellout.htm

I think I have $6k in the wheels. [ 6 floater dubs]

Old November 11th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
YouKnowWho@YouKnowWhere

"PeterD" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:55:05 -0500, "'whatever'" >
> wrote:
>
>>I don't know if this has anything to do with it but .. NO HEAT !!
>>

> Possibly has everything to do with it. Sounds like the cooling system
> needs to be bleed, it has trapped air in it.

you are joking ...right ??

Old November 11th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

problem is the mechanic! Take it to someone that knows VWs!

I/we would need more information for moe specific answers!
I might guess that your coolant system has a leak. ;-)

1. Which engine?
1.8t
2.0l
TDI
other

"'whatever'" > wrote
snip

Old November 11th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:38:48 -0500, "YouKnowWho@YouKnowWhere"
> wrote:

>"PeterD" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:55:05 -0500, "'whatever'" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't know if this has anything to do with it but .. NO HEAT !!
>>>

>> Possibly has everything to do with it. Sounds like the cooling system
>> needs to be bleed, it has trapped air in it.
>>

>you are joking ...right ??

No... Not even smiling.
Old November 11th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
'whatever'

Any Orlando area recommendations for VW mechanic?
Diane

1999 New Beetle Andy VW water cooled 5 May 8th 07 02:34 AM
Cause of Beetle overheating? Mike Wolf VW water cooled 5 August 1st 06 09:34 PM
Overheating 1999 Mercury Mountaineer (Ford Explorer) 5.0L V8 Imran Ford Explorer 4 May 25th 06 03:24 AM
2002 Beetle Turbo Transmission/Overheating issue [email protected] VW water cooled 14 December 26th 04 11:48 AM
2002 Beetle Turbo Transmission/Overheating issue [email protected] VW water cooled 0 December 24th 04 07:26 AM