New PC's FFB

Old May 8th 12, 08:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default New PC's FFB

Mario Petrinovic:
FolkGT:
Mario Petrinovic:
>FolkGT:
>Mario Petrinovic:
>>Mario Petrinovic:
>> So, it is actually all very easy, just put this value to 0.5, put
>>first of FFB settings (Overall) to whatever you like, put the rest of them
>>at 100% (I would also uncheck "Allow game to adjust settings"), put
>>in-game
>>FFB values at max., and set FOV so that you count in the distance from
>>eyes to the edge of table as 40 cm.
>>
>> Oh, it turned out that setting the hight of screen is also very
>>important.
>> BTW, I would definitely uncheck "Allow game to adjust settings".
>>This setting gives unlinearity to FFB.

>Interesting. I'm beta-testing pCARS right now and with that game you
>definitely have to check that option. I'm surprised other games don't
>have the same requirement.
>
> Are you having Damper, Spring and Centering Spring (Centering
> Spring
>unchecked) at 100%? Well, if you don't have, then some strange things
>happen
>(which are also unlinear), so, in that case, if game developer expects you
>to have unlinear FFB settings, he can try to flatten this unlinearity by
>adjusting settings (also in ulinear way). This is the case with iRacing,
>who is suggesting some non-linear FFB settings.

I see. The devs at pCARS recommend the following settings:

Overall Effects Strength: 100-104
Spring Effect Strength: 0
Damper Effect Strength: 0
Enable Centering Spring: Unchecked. (so it doesn't matter the setting)
Degrees of Rotation: 900 (different steering setups are done per car
within the game)
Allow game to adjust settings: Checked

Once I discussed this with Ade Allen, he made Real Feel plugin fo
rFactor, and he also didn't now that, and since the developers of both,
iRacing and pCARS don't mention this specifically anywhere, I presume that
they don't know too. Centering Spring works even if unchecked. Centering
Spring is a part of FFB, and it works so that if it is more than 100% it is
harder than natural for you to turn wheel away from center, and if it is
below 100% it is easier than natural (or something like that). Anyway, 100%
is the natural strength of FFB forces (this goes for Damper and Spring,
too).
When Centering Spring is checked, it works indepemdetly of FFB. IOW,
this checked Centering Spring ISN'T a part of FFB, but unchecked is a part
of FFB. If you see the description of this (put mouse arrow over the text),
you'll see that by checking it you "enable centering forces in force
feedback games which do not have a centering force". For force feedback
games that do have a centering force you don't have to check this box, and
this slider adjusts this force unchecked. It really is confusing (it was for
me, also), and there is nowhere an closer explaination, and the whole
simcommunity is convinced (just like you) that this slider doesn't work if
unchecked, but this isn't so. For example, iRacing recommends this slider to
be at 100%. Which means that iRacing's FFB works on "Overall", AND
"Centering Spring".

The placement of "Overall" is also interesting. "Overall" shouldn't
do anything, expect what the name suggests, changing the strength of forces,
nothing more. You should adjust that strength per your preference, and there
SHOULDN'T be a recommendation by game developer for this. In a well balanced
system (natural perspective, and FFB working like it is designed to work)
Overall doesn't do anything. I have it at 118%, but if I put it at 100%, or
at 150%, it behaves nearly the same, only the strength changes. But, we see
that game developers actually only work with the Overall, in a mean of
CHANGING FFB. It does have a sense on unbalanced system, where FFB behaves
diferently. And this is the problem of FFB. If unbalanced, it introduces
sinusoides, and by changing the Overall you are actually manipulating the
amplitude of those sinusoides, and thus you are adjusting FFB.

Old May 8th 12, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
FolkGT

On Tue, 8 May 2012 08:45:32 +0200, "Mario Petrinovic"
> [...]

>too).
> When Centering Spring is checked, it works indepemdetly of FFB. IOW,
>this checked Centering Spring ISN'T a part of FFB, but unchecked is a part
>of FFB. If you see the description of this (put mouse arrow over the text),
>you'll see that by checking it you "enable centering forces in force
>feedback games which do not have a centering force". For force feedback
>games that do have a centering force you don't have to check this box, and
>this slider adjusts this force unchecked. It really is confusing (it was for
>me, also), and there is nowhere an closer explaination, and the whole
>simcommunity is convinced (just like you) that this slider doesn't work if
>unchecked, but this isn't so. For example, iRacing recommends this slider to
>be at 100%. Which means that iRacing's FFB works on "Overall", AND

The Centering Spring implementation must be game specific. For pCARS, if
I *check* the Centering Spring option, there is a marked difference in
steering weight when adjusting the slider between 0 and 100. If I
*uncheck* the option, there is *NO* difference when adjusting the slider.
One has to assume that the implementation of Logitech's API varies from
developer to developer. I don't think there is a "one true way".
Old May 9th 12, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

FolkGT:
Mario Petrinovic:
> [...]

>this slider adjusts this force unchecked. It really is confusing (it was
>for
>me, also), and there is nowhere an closer explaination, and the whole
>simcommunity is convinced (just like you) that this slider doesn't work if
>unchecked, but this isn't so. For example, iRacing recommends this slider
>be at 100%. Which means that iRacing's FFB works on "Overall", AND
>"Centering Spring".

The Centering Spring implementation must be game specific. For pCARS, if
I *check* the Centering Spring option, there is a marked difference in
steering weight when adjusting the slider between 0 and 100. If I
*uncheck* the option, there is *NO* difference when adjusting the slider.
One has to assume that the implementation of Logitech's API varies from
developer to developer. I don't think there is a "one true way".

If I put it (unchecked) in iRacing at 0% and at 100%, there is a lot
of difference. 100% is "true way", 101% isn't, and 99% isn't. There is a
reason for Centering Spring, which is felt nicely in iRacing.
BTW, for whoever is interested, now I think that the distance from
monitor to the edge of table is 37.5 cm (15 in.).
Also, I will experiment with in-game settings. It could be that max.
in-game settings oversaturate FFB, and that "true way" should be 20 (max. is
40), and 50 for Damper (max. is 100). Also, it could be that Overall "true
way" is 100%, but I must test all this first.

Old May 9th 12, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
FolkGT

On Wed, 9 May 2012 06:47:49 +0200, "Mario Petrinovic"
> wrote:

> If I put it (unchecked) in iRacing at 0% and at 100%, there is a lot
>of difference. 100% is "true way", 101% isn't, and 99% isn't.

That seems odd to me. If the option is unchecked, then the strength
should be ignored. To put another way, the strength only applies if
you're actually using the option. Maybe a bug in iRacing's interaction
with the Logitech API?
Old May 9th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

FolkGT:
Mario Petrinovic:
> If I put it (unchecked) in iRacing at 0% and at 100%, there is a
> lot
>of difference. 100% is "true way", 101% isn't, and 99% isn't.

That seems odd to me. If the option is unchecked, then the strength
should be ignored. To put another way, the strength only applies if
you're actually using the option. Maybe a bug in iRacing's interaction
with the Logitech API?

No, some other guy said that it is "known bug". IOW, he thought that
this is a bug, but if you read carefully, you realize that this isn't a bug.
It is confusing, though (just like about everything regarding FFB), and
somebody should provide some credible explaination, but I am afraid, if
anybody is trying to explain FFB, he would be in danger to reveal some FFB
shortcomings, and this would deter people from using FFB, so nobody explains
anything (which actually is the state of things, regarding knowlage about
FFB).
BTW, thanks very much for the info from pCARS. This made me retest
Overall force, and really, in my system also it works the way I explained
(as amplifier of sinusoids or something like that, if you remember). I
figured out that I had it too high. It is too "springy" at that level, so I
went down. "Springness" is present all the way down to 111% (on my system),
and at 110% it starts to develop slack. I tried 100% and it is too "dampy"
(I encountered those states before, one end is "springy", while the other is
"dampy"). I tried 102% to 118% (I had enough of testing when I got down to
101%, so I will try it tomorow, lol), and 102% to 110% is with slack, with
109% being the most drivable. In fact, it behaves very much like when you
are adjusting perspective, so I will try to adjust perspective (FOV and
hight of screen) so that it works with Overall 100%, which should obviously
be the preferable value (I figerd it out during testing, because some things
work very well, the closer to 100% you are, only right now my system isn't
adjusted for 100%, it works better right now at 109%).
With my system at all testings I am close to the very top of the
session, right among some "A" class people, so this shows that everything
works well. I could be at the very top (possibly, if there isn't some
absolutely fast guy at the session), if I am not just testing FFB, but
rather take adventage of track specifics. Right now I am just doing a
generic drive-around.

Old May 10th 12, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
FolkGT:
Mario Petrinovic:
> If I put it (unchecked) in iRacing at 0% and at 100%, there is a
> lot
>of difference. 100% is "true way", 101% isn't, and 99% isn't.

That seems odd to me. If the option is unchecked, then the strength
should be ignored. To put another way, the strength only applies if
you're actually using the option. Maybe a bug in iRacing's interaction
with the Logitech API?

No, some other guy said that it is "known bug". IOW, he thought that
this is a bug, but if you read carefully, you realize that this isn't a bug.
It is confusing, though (just like about everything regarding FFB), and
somebody should provide some credible explaination, but I am afraid, if
anybody is trying to explain FFB, he would be in danger to reveal some FFB
shortcomings, and this would deter people from using FFB, so nobody explains
anything (which actually is the state of things, regarding knowlage about
FFB).
BTW, thanks very much for the info from pCARS. This made me retest
Overall force, and really, in my system also it works the way I explained
(as amplifier of sinusoids or something like that, if you remember). I
figured out that I had it too high. It is too "springy" at that level, so I
went down. "Springness" is present all the way down to 111% (on my system),
and at 110% it starts to develop slack. I tried 100% and it is too "dampy"
(I encountered those states before, one end is "springy", while the other is
"dampy"). I tried 102% to 118% (I had enough of testing when I got down to
101%, so I will try it tomorow, lol), and 102% to 110% is with slack, with
109% being the most drivable. In fact, it behaves very much like when you
are adjusting perspective, so I will try to adjust perspective (FOV and
hight of screen) so that it works with Overall 100%, which should obviously
be the preferable value (I figerd it out during testing, because some things
work very well, the closer to 100% you are, only right now my system isn't
adjusted for 100%, it works better right now at 109%).
With my system at all testings I am close to the very top of the
session, right among some "A" class people, so this shows that everything
works well. I could be at the very top (possibly, if there isn't some
absolutely fast guy at the session), if I am not just testing FFB, but
rather take adventage of track specifics. Right now I am just doing a
generic drive-around.

Oh yes, the biggest problem with iRacing's FFB is wrongly set
"cockpitLookDeadZone". Why iRacing has put this value at 0.05, while the
balanced value is 0.5, completly evades me.

Old May 10th 12, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
FolkGT

On Thu, 10 May 2012 00:35:06 +0200, "Mario Petrinovic"
> wrote:

>FolkGT:
>Mario Petrinovic:
>> If I put it (unchecked) in iRacing at 0% and at 100%, there is a
>> lot
>>of difference. 100% is "true way", 101% isn't, and 99% isn't.

>That seems odd to me. If the option is unchecked, then the strength
>should be ignored. To put another way, the strength only applies if
>you're actually using the option. Maybe a bug in iRacing's interaction
>with the Logitech API?
>
> No, some other guy said that it is "known bug". IOW, he thought that
>this is a bug, but if you read carefully, you realize that this isn't a bug.
>It is confusing, though (just like about everything regarding FFB), and
>somebody should provide some credible explaination, but I am afraid, if
>anybody is trying to explain FFB, he would be in danger to reveal some FFB
>shortcomings, and this would deter people from using FFB, so nobody explains
>anything (which actually is the state of things, regarding knowlage about
>FFB).
> BTW, thanks very much for the info from pCARS. This made me retest
>Overall force [...snip...]

Speaking of pCARS, have you considered giving it a try?

http://www.wmdportal.com/about/

10€ gets you monthly builds, 50€ gets you weekly builds and a copy of the
game at launch. and there are other levels in between with other perks.
And if it sells well, that 50€ could turn into 150€ down the road.

It's really an exciting time right now. The FFB is being completely
rebuilt, and the last update hinted at great things to come. The design
we're going for allows the driver to adjust a great many FFB factors so
that the game will cater to your individual tastes. The analogy used is
it's like an amplifier where you have different "knobs" to adjust
different aspects of the FFB, just like you can adjust treble, bass, etc.
on an amplifier.

I bet someone like you would have a blast being part of the community and
helping shape the direction of the game.
Old May 10th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

FolkGT:
Mario Petrinovic:
>FolkGT:
>Mario Petrinovic:
>> If I put it (unchecked) in iRacing at 0% and at 100%, there is a
>> lot
>>of difference. 100% is "true way", 101% isn't, and 99% isn't.

>That seems odd to me. If the option is unchecked, then the strength
>should be ignored. To put another way, the strength only applies if
>you're actually using the option. Maybe a bug in iRacing's interaction
>with the Logitech API?
>
> No, some other guy said that it is "known bug". IOW, he thought
> that
>this is a bug, but if you read carefully, you realize that this isn't a
>bug.
>It is confusing, though (just like about everything regarding FFB), and
>somebody should provide some credible explaination, but I am afraid, if
>anybody is trying to explain FFB, he would be in danger to reveal some FFB
>shortcomings, and this would deter people from using FFB, so nobody
>explains
>anything (which actually is the state of things, regarding knowlage about
>FFB).
> BTW, thanks very much for the info from pCARS. This made me retest
>Overall force [...snip...]

Speaking of pCARS, have you considered giving it a try?

http://www.wmdportal.com/about/

10€ gets you monthly builds, 50€ gets you weekly builds and a copy of the
game at launch. and there are other levels in between with other perks.
And if it sells well, that 50€ could turn into 150€ down the road.

It's really an exciting time right now. The FFB is being completely
rebuilt, and the last update hinted at great things to come. The design
we're going for allows the driver to adjust a great many FFB factors so
that the game will cater to your individual tastes. The analogy used is
it's like an amplifier where you have different "knobs" to adjust
different aspects of the FFB, just like you can adjust treble, bass, etc.
on an amplifier.

I bet someone like you would have a blast being part of the community and
helping shape the direction of the game.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I was thinking about it lately,
actually, right after reading your previous post I considered it seriously.
I believe soon I'll try it (its hard to find time for everything, though, in
those modern times).
BTW, fimaly I figured out about Centering Spring. It should be at
the same value as Overall. I didn't find it before because they both have to
be at the precise value, otherwise there is no benefit of them being the
same. Thankfully, my last Overall was at close value, so I tested around it.
My last Overall was 109% (the settings were 109/100/100/100), and the value
where they both have to be is 108% (so, "the right" settings are
108/100/100/108). With these new settings I was the first in fixed setup
sessions that I drove today, and even did my personal best without much
trouble. I aldo tried some non-default (non-100%) Spring and Damper
settings, but these were not good. I tried to lower in-game (by the same
percentage moving both, force and damper), and this is good only if you
lower (from maximum) it by little.
Things still aren't absolutely perfect, but I am satisfied.
Interestingly, the same filosofy (of Overall and Centering Spring
being the same, and Damper and Spring at 100%) I had right before iRacing
2.0 edition came out. I was very satisfied with that (only, it was a bit too
light, since at that time Damper was locked at 75%, and nobody new about it,
except iRacing, of course), and thought that I was at the end of my
research, but then came iRacing 2.0 and things became messy again. Probably
it is then that iRacing had put that (WRONG) cockpitLookDeadZone value, and
confused FFB *once AGAIN*. Now, after so much time, I found what was messy,
and now I am waiting for iRacing 3.0, so that iRacing can mess things up
*again* (and again, and again...). Jesus Christ.

Old May 11th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
BTW, fimaly I figured out about Centering Spring. It should be at
the same value as Overall. I didn't find it before because they both have to
be at the precise value, otherwise there is no benefit of them being the
same. Thankfully, my last Overall was at close value, so I tested around it.
My last Overall was 109% (the settings were 109/100/100/100), and the value
where they both have to be is 108% (so, "the right" settings are
108/100/100/108). With these new settings I was the first in fixed setup
sessions that I drove today, and even did my personal best without much
trouble. I aldo tried some non-default (non-100%) Spring and Damper
settings, but these were not good. I tried to lower in-game (by the same
percentage moving both, force and damper), and this is good only if you
lower (from maximum) it by little.

Ok, this was wrong. It looks like the old formula is still working.
The formula is:
Overall x Spring/Damper = Centering Spring.
This means that with 108/100/100/108 I couldn't lower Spring/Damper
because 1.08 (CS) / 1.08 (O) = 1.00 (S/D).
But, I found out that 108/100/100/108 works well because Overall
should be 108 on my system, but Centering Spring is best to be kept at 100.
So, now I am using 108/93/93/100, because 1.00 (CS) / 1.08 (O) = 0.93 (S/D).
Also, FOV was wrong (again, so easy to measure it, yet it is always
wrong, lol), and now I say that the distance from eyes to the edge of table
is 35 cm.

Old May 12th 12, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

You two and this FF discussion are the death knell of this (should
have been put to slep years ago) group. Mario - you make me dizzy with
your up/down/back/forth "THIS IS IT" settings. Give it up, get a
hobby, plant flowers, get a life, but this is the most ridiculous one
person discussion I have ever witnessed in the 30 plus years I have
been witness to usenet..

Am I the only one that is saying "who gives a ****" after reading the
1st 50 of these "Mario FF" posts??

Maybe i'm just getting too old for usenet nonsense.
GR

>On Fri, 11 May 2012 16:25:57 +0200, "Mario Petrinovic" > wrote:

>Mario Petrinovic:
> BTW, fimaly I figured out about Centering Spring. It should be at
>the same value as Overall. I didn't find it before because they both have to
>be at the precise value, otherwise there is no benefit of them being the
>same. Thankfully, my last Overall was at close value, so I tested around it.
>My last Overall was 109% (the settings were 109/100/100/100), and the value
>where they both have to be is 108% (so, "the right" settings are
>108/100/100/108). With these new settings I was the first in fixed setup
>sessions that I drove today, and even did my personal best without much
>trouble. I aldo tried some non-default (non-100%) Spring and Damper
>settings, but these were not good. I tried to lower in-game (by the same
>percentage moving both, force and damper), and this is good only if you
>lower (from maximum) it by little.
>
> Ok, this was wrong. It looks like the old formula is still working.
>The formula is:
>Overall x Spring/Damper = Centering Spring.
> This means that with 108/100/100/108 I couldn't lower Spring/Damper
>because 1.08 (CS) / 1.08 (O) = 1.00 (S/D).
> But, I found out that 108/100/100/108 works well because Overall
>should be 108 on my system, but Centering Spring is best to be kept at 100.
>So, now I am using 108/93/93/100, because 1.00 (CS) / 1.08 (O) = 0.93 (S/D).
> Also, FOV was wrong (again, so easy to measure it, yet it is always
>wrong, lol), and now I say that the distance from eyes to the edge of table
>is 35 cm.

FFB latency Mario Petrinovic Simulators 2 March 20th 12 11:14 PM
FFB progress Mario Petrinovic Simulators 5 February 14th 12 05:36 PM
FFB (so far) Mario Petrinovic Simulators 0 September 25th 11 10:57 AM
FFB Mario Petrinovic Simulators 26 September 5th 11 08:52 AM
G25 v. ECCI - To FFB or not to FFB [email protected] Simulators 1 August 17th 07 02:35 PM