why can't i release my parking brake on Jeep

Old July 18th 13, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carole

Default why can't i release my parking brake on Jeep

Our 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee is parked on an incline so my son pulled the
parking brake and now I cannot get it off I am unable to push in the button
therefore the lever will not go down.I am not a mechanic and neither is my son
can I call AAA it is my only car.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/why-...ep-134634-.htm

Old July 18th 13, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Carole wrote:

> Our 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee is parked on an incline so my son pulled the
> parking brake and now I cannot get it off I am unable to push in the
> button therefore the lever will not go down.I am not a mechanic and
> neither is my son can I call AAA it is my only car.

Try pushing the brake pedal as hard as you can while releasing the parking
brake - that will releive some of the pressure on the latch. You may also
have some luck pulling up on the leaver while pushing the button as that may
(if you pull hard enough) get the pawl out of the notch it is in as it tries
to move to the next notch. I recall having to use a long 2x4 to pry the
lever up when some gorilla set the brake really hard.

--
Will Honea

Old July 18th 13, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rev. Beergoggles

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 12:42:06 -0600, Will Honea >
wrote:
> Carole wrote:

> > Our 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee is parked on an incline so my son

pulled the
> > parking brake and now I cannot get it off I am unable to push in

the
> > button therefore the lever will not go down.I am not a mechanic

and
> > neither is my son can I call AAA it is my only car.
> >

> Try pushing the brake pedal as hard as you can while releasing the

parking
> brake - that will releive some of the pressure on the latch. You

may also

> have some luck pulling up on the leaver while pushing the button as

that may
> (if you pull hard enough) get the pawl out of the notch it is in as

it tries
> to move to the next notch. I recall having to use a long 2x4 to

pry the
> lever up when some gorilla set the brake really hard.

Try pulling up on the brake lever a bit before pressing the button in.