Two partial Sciroccos up for grabs

Old December 13th 09, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bill Leary

Default Two partial Sciroccos up for grabs

I've got three 1987 16V Scirocco's here.

The "black one" I'm driving and restoring. It's not "up for grabs."

But there's two red ones...

The "red" was on the road until fall 2007 when it developed a problem
running when warm. It's transmission was moved into the "newest" one in
February 2008. I've removed a few parts from it to support the one that I'm
still driving since them. Master cylinder, right headlight cluster, a
difficult to find pipe in the engine, the rear struts a few other bits I
don't recall right now. The hatch I removed and traded for some body work
on the black one a month ago. The failed transmission from the black one is
in the trunk. It's also been hit twice so it's got a very large dent just
aft of the drivers door and a smaller one at the driver side rear corner.
The frame is definitely tweaked. "Bent" would probably be a better word.
Never the less, I drove it for almost two years after this happened. The
engine has about 250K miles on it and was passing (barely) emission
inspections and getting 24 to 26 MPG right up to the end. It was burning
some oil too, I don't recall how much. Enough that I checked the oil level
about once a week. I don't remember how often I had to add oil, but I do
recall that it was not weekly.

The "shell" one is, well, a shell. The unit body is in very good shape and
has been laser aligned. It's been largely stripped other than that.

The original idea, before I got the black one, was to get a good shell,
restore that, then transfer all the running gear from the "full red" one to
the "red shell." Work was started on the shell, when I came into possession
of the black one and cancelled the project. I had about $1,000 into the
shell when I cancelled the project.

I kept the shell originally intending to go ahead with the work to finish
it, but at a slower pace. This hasn't proven to be happening. There's been
too many changes in my life since then, and I just don't have the interest
any more.

So, if someone wants to come and get either or both of these, they're yours.
If you felt inclined to cross my palm with a few dollars, I wouldn't object,
but I'm not really looking for it either.

I'm in Hopkinton Mass. If interested, email me [ ] for
further information, exact location, to arrange to see them, or whatever.

Please include the word "Scirocco" somewhere in the subject line so my spam
filter will let your message through.

- Bill