How to reset brake warning light

Old May 6th 13, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default How to reset brake warning light

I replaced the front pads on my 89 and then bled the back brakes to reset
the switch with no luck when the light came on.

Budd

--
2012 election defined:

"Insanity is doing the same thing
again and expecting different results."

Old May 8th 13, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On 5/6/2013 10:36 AM, Budd Cochran wrote:
> I replaced the front pads on my 89 and then bled the back brakes to reset
> the switch with no luck when the light came on.
>
> Budd

Budd, check to see if it is the switch in the proportioning valve...
(Disconnect the wire to test.) If it is then the shuttle in the valve's
center has not re-centered itself and that's the problem. You may have
to replace the proportioning valve if the shuttle is stuck.

If it is not the switch in the proportioning valve, check the parking
brake switch!

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old May 8th 13, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_4_]

PeterD wrote:
> On 5/6/2013 10:36 AM, Budd Cochran wrote:
>> I replaced the front pads on my 89 and then bled the back brakes to
>> reset the switch with no luck when the light came on.
>>
>> Budd
>>

> Budd, check to see if it is the switch in the proportioning valve...
> (Disconnect the wire to test.) If it is then the shuttle in the
> valve's center has not re-centered itself and that's the problem. You
> may have to replace the proportioning valve if the shuttle is stuck.
>
> If it is not the switch in the proportioning valve, check the parking
> brake switch!

Some of the older valves had a reset under the rubber cap.
(some sort of a latch button thingy) Been way too long since
I played with one. Vaguely remember pulling a switch, sticking
a penny and a C clamp on it, before bleeding to lock the slide
in position. :/

Last resort is the BFH and tapping it loose.

--
DougW

Old May 10th 13, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> PeterD wrote:
>> On 5/6/2013 10:36 AM, Budd Cochran wrote:
>>> I replaced the front pads on my 89 and then bled the back brakes to
>>> reset the switch with no luck when the light came on.
>>>
>>> Budd
>>>

>> Budd, check to see if it is the switch in the proportioning valve...
>> (Disconnect the wire to test.) If it is then the shuttle in the
>> valve's center has not re-centered itself and that's the problem. You
>> may have to replace the proportioning valve if the shuttle is stuck.
>>
>> If it is not the switch in the proportioning valve, check the parking
>> brake switch!

> Some of the older valves had a reset under the rubber cap.
> (some sort of a latch button thingy) Been way too long since
> I played with one. Vaguely remember pulling a switch, sticking
> a penny and a C clamp on it, before bleeding to lock the slide
> in position. :/
>
> Last resort is the BFH and tapping it loose.
>
> --
> DougW

It's going to be a couple days before I can do the checks as we're having a
yard sale on the 10th and 11th.

First, I'll check to make sure it's not the E-brake switch and then look for
a reset plunger.

Budd