General Jeep Questions

Old June 15th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_3_]

Default General Jeep Questions

Mike Romain > wrote:

> As mentioned, 'I' had a big truck spring shop do my lift. They do
> not sell gold plated springs like the 4x4 shops do or use platinum
> tools like the specialty shops also use. :-)

That's bad, it means your shop can't send the kids through Harvard on
the profit from a 2" lift, you didn't contribute to the economy nearly
as much as you should have.

In other news, I had a transmission fluid leak on the '93 GC, it was up
front where the transmission cooler lines connect to the transmission
cooler. I took it to a shop that I trust and they tightened the hose
clamps so I'm guilty of the same failure to contribute to the economy,
I should have taken it to the dealer who would have replaced the
transmission, radiator, cooler and then sold me a 2007 GC Limited.

Just think, if I'd done the right thing, I'd have a brand new GC with a
30 year mortgage..... you can't imagine how guilty I feel! <GD&R>

Old June 15th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

XS11E wrote:
> Mike Romain > wrote:
>
>> As mentioned, 'I' had a big truck spring shop do my lift. They do
>> not sell gold plated springs like the 4x4 shops do or use platinum
>> tools like the specialty shops also use. :-)

> That's bad, it means your shop can't send the kids through Harvard on
> the profit from a 2" lift, you didn't contribute to the economy nearly
> as much as you should have.
>
> In other news, I had a transmission fluid leak on the '93 GC, it was up
> front where the transmission cooler lines connect to the transmission
> cooler. I took it to a shop that I trust and they tightened the hose
> clamps so I'm guilty of the same failure to contribute to the economy,
> I should have taken it to the dealer who would have replaced the
> transmission, radiator, cooler and then sold me a 2007 GC Limited.
>
> Just think, if I'd done the right thing, I'd have a brand new GC with a
> 30 year mortgage..... you can't imagine how guilty I feel! <GD&R>

I also wanted the stock springs because I have the hardtop package with
the big spring packs. I can load it full with roof racks and a back
carrier rack and it just makes it ride smooth.... I run full usually on
trips.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Old June 16th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
griffin

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message news:_KidnQyd6d-
> [...]

pretty

> The 4cyl is cheap because they aren't in such demand as the 6.

I think this is actually what is bugging me. Why is this the case? I just
remember everyone telling me that my "little 4-banger" doesn't have the
juice and I should sell it and invest in a 6. Is there a reason the 4's are
so low on the resale market? I notice that most of the 4cyl are completely
stock and often have the hardtop on in the summer so perhaps they are
purchased by and stereotyped as "family Jeeps" for vacationing and just
basically fun "soccer mom" vehicles.

Old June 16th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

In my area, no soccer moms, they get suburbans. The 4cyl Jeeps are
commonly bought as high school 'go to school' cars or as HS graduation
presents. They are usually soft top, 4cyl verisions, driven in the
summer, tend to sit all winter as the kids are away at school.
Eventually the kid graduates from college, has no need for a 5 year old
soft top while living in New York or wherever. And they certainly are
not cross country road trip vehicles to visit the parents on a long
weekend.

Also, take a look at the original price on the plain 4cyl version. A few
years back they were advertising them for under $15k

Old June 16th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:38:03 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>I don't mind forgetting I have a 5th gear so I don't lug my engine with
>my 33's and 3.31 gears, but then I have a 'glass body and the 258 so it
>goes nice. I can still use 5th, but it costs gas, about 5 mpg better
>without it.

This guy is so full of it. He thinks 3.31 gear with a 33's is a GREAT
combo and he does not even know how to change a diff cover gasket let
along a gear set or what it can do. DO NOT take his advise and ham
string your on and off road performance. People like Mike are why some
complain about needing bigger motors because they fail to understand
the importance of gear ratio. I will not even get into the effect the
tall gears have on wheel traction due to torque inpout into a tall
ratio with bi tires because this completely escapes Mike because he
beilieve ina magic force that keep both wheel planted the same
regardless of drive shaft input torque. He does not even like know
what Newton Law is let alone how it applies here

>Off road we have low range so never have issues.

Another stupid answer, 33's without regear reducing power about 15 to
20% in a ALL gears and ranges if you do not regear.

>As mentioned, 'I' had a big truck spring shop do my lift. They do not
>sell gold plated springs like the 4x4 shops do or use platinum tools
>like the specialty shops also use. :-)

Yep you talk big but farm everything out.

YOue may call this a attack but when some one is looking for advise
starting out they do not need your "foorget 5th gear and use low
range" as the right way to do things. You give Jeep owners a bad name.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old June 16th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:24:42 GMT, "griffin" >
wrote:

>I think this is actually what is bugging me. Why is this the case? I just
>remember everyone telling me that my "little 4-banger" doesn't have the
>juice and I should sell it and invest in a 6. Is there a reason the 4's are
>so low on the resale market? I notice that most of the 4cyl are completely
>stock and often have the hardtop on in the summer so perhaps they are
>purchased by and stereotyped as "family Jeeps" for vacationing and just
>basically fun "soccer mom" vehicles.

Again the reason for this is that there is a LOT of guys out there
like Mike Romain that act like "experts" and know it all and tell you
to install lifts and big tires and keep stock gears and so what if you
loose 5th and need low range all the time. (hello, this is telling you
that you have a gear ratio problem) It is mentallity like this that
causes this hype about it being a bad motor because many think the
solution is a tune, bigger carb or custom exhaust and if that fails, a
bigger engine rather than realize that deeper gears will help a LOT
more overall. (not just a opinion but rather the physics of it all
too) I knew a guy that had a old YJ with a 4 banger and 35's and 5.13
gears in it and he beat the heck out of it off road and it held up and
surprized many as to what it would do and where it would go. He
finially killed the motor when he hydrolocked it and busted it when he
sunk it unexpectadly. BTW, it had over 150K on it too.

One day I may buy one more Jeep (I have owned over a dozen 4x4's in
over 35 years and four of them Jeeps) I what to find a old clean YJ
one of the last years built with a 4 banger that has not been lifted
and do a mild lift and runs maybe some 33's andwith some 4.88's or so
in it and just play around with it. It will not be a daily driver.
BTW, I have a old and now rare J20 Jeep truck that I have owned for
almost 22 years now that is still 100% stock and it is a beast. With
its 4.10 gears and 360 V8 with stock sized bias plied nasty traction
grip 10 ply tires, you rarely need low range for anything. This is the
way I like my 4x4 geared so low range is used when you need a slower
speed, not because you are so over geared that you cannot do much
without it off road.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old June 16th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

It's not a bad mill, but most TJ's end up with the six mainly because of the
"more is better" perception. There is almost no aftermarket support for the
4-banger, and there is little you could do to tweak it for more power.

For a trail vehicle or a build up basis, I think it would make a good choice
since it would be lighter and there tends to be fewer "bells and whistles"
on the SE models.

Old June 16th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Maybe, if you show us some pictures of your Jeep doing something, like
Mike's pictures at: http://billhughes.com/mikeRomain/ Or doing some climbs,
like mine: http://billhughes.com/68jeep.jpg or:
http://billhughes.com/jeep68sand.jpg or: http://billhughes.com/pismo.htm And
not an example of your poor workmanship, a YJ that doesn't even have an air
cleaner: http://billhughes.com/temp/bill_is_wrong.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 16th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Pink Freud

Lies and more lies.

And you know nothing about jeeps.

Or much else, loser.

Hahahahahahaha!

Old June 16th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

There you go again, from the biggest loser of them all! The jealous,
really jealous, I can't believe how jealous this little draft dodging coward
schizophrenic psychopath liar hiding in Vancouver via
S0106000ea6ba70e7.vn.shawcable.net 24.86.24.251 who's
only way to get attention is to make a fool of it's self. With an obsession
with perverts and goats, where it writes via remailers, and cross posts to
other perverts to no one's surprise. With extreme jealous ranting over my
documents, possessions, successes, manliness and super Southern California
surfing body, beard, and loving family. Committing forgery over many of them
proving I'm a responsible American man. You remind me of a little rat dog,
like a Mexican Chiwawa with it's senseless barking, me too, me too. You're
even more senile than I first thought. And the poor thing, you're too girlie
to take responsibility for yourself again, by signing your statement like a
man.
That really thinks the group's members are so stupid not to know it's
the same coward, posting over and over again using schizophrenic psychopath
forged up names???????
You're not worth any more time when a cut and paste this same paragraph
it fits so well!
But, now post worth a forwarding to:
,
,
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

"Pink Freud" > wrote in message

> Lies and more lies.
>
> And you know nothing about jeeps.
>
> Or much else, loser.
>

> Hahahahahahaha!

A few general questions... Noice87 VW air cooled 8 October 14th 06 12:22 AM
new Jeep owner with questions [email protected] Jeep 5 February 10th 06 05:35 PM
General 4WD Questions ('92 mainly) Ulysses Ford Explorer 8 January 24th 05 08:37 PM
=Jeep Questions= Eddy Long 4x4 0 January 19th 05 02:33 AM
general resto questions....outside in or inside out Jeffrey Davison Ford Mustang 9 November 22nd 04 12:48 PM