Gettin ready for the weekend!

Old May 23rd 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_6_]

Default Gettin ready for the weekend!

"Earle Horton" > wrote
Iron Horse bicycle classic, from Durango to Silverton over two more than ten
thousand foot mountain passes. Spectator only. It's snowing right now...

Cheers,

Earle
--

SNOWING!!!???
You poor SOB!

It's finally going to hit the 80's here today, and with a vengance.

Man, I hate hot weather.

K.

Old May 23rd 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jbjeep

Heading out tonight. I got the Jeep on the trailer and the truck all hitched up,
just need to pack and load camping gear. A buddy of mine has a place on Rife Lake
out of Mossyrock WA. We go camp at his place (power and water, no house) and then we
head up to Elbe Hills OHV area. One very fun good trail up there, some so-so trails.
Its a short day, but lots of fun. Its raining now, so it will be slicker than snot
on the trail! Its technical for the most part and very tight in the trees. Dunno if
we will play on the lake on day as planned, depends on the weather. I figure to hit
some geocaches while I am out. This may be the only holiday weekend I get off this
year, since my new job requires us to work the holidays (other than NY, x-mas, and
T-day).
-jenn

Old May 23rd 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_23_]

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
> Earle Horton wrote:

>>> The Silverton to Durango route sounds more like my speed. AIR, the
>>> other
>>> direction is an almost constant climb of several thousand feet.
>>>

>> Ya, Silverton to Molas, then Lime Creek switchback to Coal Bank. That
>> should be pretty easy for a couple of old coots like us. The fastest I
>> have
>> ever been on a bicycle, when I was much younger of course, was 57 mph.
>> You?

> First liar doesn't stand a chance! According to the chase car, a couple
> of
> us hit just over 60 on a long downhill between Arecibo and San Juan, PR.
> Like you I was a lot younger, dumber and presented one helluva lot less
> frontal area than now.

I had one of those computerized speedos mounted on a tandem. Combined
weight of self and spouse was pushing three hundred at the time, and we were
on the long downhill approaching Snohomish, WA from the south on route 9. I
don't believe you could hit 60 in a single person bike unless you were in a
pelotón and peddling hard.

Spain is worse. Half of them stand on the corner and wait religiously for
the light to change. The other half just keep walking as if it was all side
walk. I have been to Arecibo. I am pretty sure they are actually using it
to communicate with intelligent life, anywhere.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/SETI

It looks as if they are going to cancel or shorten the ride this time. It
is still snowing here.

Earle

Old May 23rd 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Earle Horton wrote:

> "Will Honea" > wrote in message
>> Earle Horton wrote:

>>> Ya, Silverton to Molas, then Lime Creek switchback to Coal Bank. That
>>> should be pretty easy for a couple of old coots like us. The fastest I
>>> have
>>> ever been on a bicycle, when I was much younger of course, was 57 mph.
>>> You?

>> First liar doesn't stand a chance! According to the chase car, a couple
>> of
>> us hit just over 60 on a long downhill between Arecibo and San Juan, PR.
>> Like you I was a lot younger, dumber and presented one helluva lot less
>> frontal area than now.

> I had one of those computerized speedos mounted on a tandem. Combined
> weight of self and spouse was pushing three hundred at the time, and we
> were
> on the long downhill approaching Snohomish, WA from the south on route 9.
> I don't believe you could hit 60 in a single person bike unless you were
> in a pelotón and peddling hard.
>
> Spain is worse. Half of them stand on the corner and wait religiously for
> the light to change. The other half just keep walking as if it was all
> side
> walk. I have been to Arecibo. I am pretty sure they are actually using
> it to communicate with intelligent life, anywhere.
>
> http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/SETI
>
> It looks as if they are going to cancel or shorten the ride this time. It
> is still snowing here.

I spent nearly 5 years on Ramey AFB right by Arecibo. Having lived all over
the US and Latin America, that is still my favorite spot. Of course, I
haven't been there in the last 20 years, so it has probably gone to hell
like every other place <g>. As for weight vs. speed, I refer you to
Galileo and his proof of the affect of weight (mass) on acceleration. The
limit is really air resistance at appreciable speeds.

This is one helluva week. You're getting snow, the SE plains are in the
90's and NE Colorado gets monster tornados.
--
Will Honea
Old May 23rd 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_23_]

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
> Earle Horton wrote:

>>> First liar doesn't stand a chance! According to the chase car, a couple
>>> of
>>> us hit just over 60 on a long downhill between Arecibo and San Juan, PR.
>>> Like you I was a lot younger, dumber and presented one helluva lot less
>>> frontal area than now.

>> I had one of those computerized speedos mounted on a tandem. Combined
>> weight of self and spouse was pushing three hundred at the time, and we
>> were
>> on the long downhill approaching Snohomish, WA from the south on route 9.
>> I don't believe you could hit 60 in a single person bike unless you were
>> in a pelotón and peddling hard.
>>
>> Spain is worse. Half of them stand on the corner and wait religiously
>> for
>> the light to change. The other half just keep walking as if it was all
>> side
>> walk. I have been to Arecibo. I am pretty sure they are actually using
>> it to communicate with intelligent life, anywhere.
>>
>> http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/SETI
>>
>> It looks as if they are going to cancel or shorten the ride this time.
>> It
>> is still snowing here.

> I spent nearly 5 years on Ramey AFB right by Arecibo. Having lived all
> over
> the US and Latin America, that is still my favorite spot. Of course, I
> haven't been there in the last 20 years, so it has probably gone to hell
> like every other place <g>. As for weight vs. speed, I refer you to
> Galileo and his proof of the affect of weight (mass) on acceleration. The
> limit is really air resistance at appreciable speeds.

Galileo's results only hold in a vacuum. A tandem bike with two riders has
double the weight, i.e. double the force and half the resistance of two
riders on two bikes. I did the RAMROD (Ride Around Mount Rainier in One
Day) a few times. Even finished it once. The tandems always came in first.
One time a three-rider bike appeared. They finished in a decent place, but
nowhere near the tandems. I met a rider about 5'2" once, maybe 300 pounds.
Don't try to think about her wearing lycra. She told me she could pass
anyone going downhill. Maybe streamlining has something to do with it.
Rounder shape and all.

Earle

Old May 23rd 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_6_]

I'm getting the camping gear packed right now. Taking my "Union break"
I hear that it's going to be hot and dry where we're going. That suits me
just fine. Looks like it's a giant mud hole most of the time. Though, you
never can tell from just the pictures.

I had to laugh when you said geocaches, I forgot that it's all YOUR fault
that I even got into it.
I got my GPS and my PDA all loaded up this afternoon. We'll have to swap
lies when we get back.

Have fun Jenn... I'll hop a rock in your honor
You sling some mud for me.

Old May 27th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jbjeep

Default Weekend - was Gettin ready for the weekend!

>>I had to laugh when you said geocaches, I forgot that it's all YOUR fault
>>that I even got into it.
>>I got my GPS and my PDA all loaded up this afternoon. We'll have to swap
>>lies when we get back.
>>
>>Have fun Jenn... I'll hop a rock in your honor
>>You sling some mud for me.

We only managed to hit two caches. Just dropped some bugs and coins. It was fun
tho. 5 of us piled into one truck and went out for a couple of hours on Sunday.

Saturday we headed up to Elbe Hills, OMFG!!!! I now remember why I dont like to
wheel on holidays! There must have been several hundred people up there. Luckily,
most of them didnt seem equipt to be on the trail we were running. It was wet,
slimey, and disgusting (also double diamond trail). The second set of mud holes were
deeper than the top of the tub in one spot. All went well, just lots of winching and
things until later in the day... when I got stretched out going down a rock with a
3-4 foot drop, then about 10 feet of mud, then you climb up a knarly root wad...
well, 1/2 way up the root wad the Jeep dies. Everything works except the gas gauge
and it wont start. It cranks and tries, but no go. The guys dink around a while.
Figure I must have screwed up when filling it (and not gotten a full tank), so we
siphone 3 gallons out of another rig and put it in mine. No luck. We finally got
the rig pulled back out of the hole, and to the bypass that was only a few feet
behind it. Started down that with one guy pulling me front the front and another
hitched on the back, no power brakes and no power steering. I made it all of maybe
50 feet before getting caught by a tree. This obviously was not going to work. The
bypass is narrow and very very twisty. So we stop to look at stuff underneath now
that we are in a "dryer" spot (rather than 6" of mud - everything was wet, it stormed
and howled and poured and there was lightening all weekend). Lucky for me Robin is
the one who crawled under to look. After much thought and conversation he was able
to find the problem, where an electrical connector had pulled apart - obviously the
one to the gas gauge and the fuel pump. He also was the only one of us who could
have reached it easily. He popped it back together and the Jeep fired right up and
was fine the whole way back to camp.... we got in about midnight. It was just
getting dark when we got off the trail, but then we had to get down the mountain and
had an hours drive back to our camp once we hit the highways. We went thru a lot of
big parties on our way out, lots of kids and boozing, I hope no one ended up hurt
this weekend. After that the only trouble I had was discovering a flat tire on the
Jeep when I went to load it up this morning. I will have to fix that soon. The
truck and trailer worked like a champ and it was delightful to just pull in and let
everything sit while I got a shower and stuff. In fact, I will probably just leave
the Jeep on the trailer and the trailer hitched up because in 4 weeks we head out for
the Fordyce trail and the Rubicon trail.

I'll try to get pics up by the weekend...
-jenn
Old May 27th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_6_]

Sounds like quite a workout.

Our group petered out. It turns out that Rough Country is having a fun run
on the 6th of June, everyone changed their minds and decided LAST minute to
wait till then.

I suppose it wasn't a bad thing, I heard some funny noises under mine and
Dick crawled under it. Turns out that there was a couple of issues under
there that may have really scred something up if they had come loose on the
trail.

I dont mind so much because we generally try to avoid doing anything on
three day weekends anyway. Too much booze, too many idiots.
In the neantime, I have everything ready to go except the food bax. That's
not so bad!

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!

K.

Old May 27th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_6_]

Sorry for all of the typoes...
I suppose I should check them more carefully before I hit the send button...
sheesh!

Old June 5th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jbjeep

http://jbjeep.terahex.com/Elbe08/Elbe08.htm

On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:04:31 -0500, "Kate" > wrote:

>>Sounds like quite a workout.
>>
>>Our group petered out. It turns out that Rough Country is having a fun run
>>on the 6th of June, everyone changed their minds and decided LAST minute to
>>wait till then.
>>
>>I suppose it wasn't a bad thing, I heard some funny noises under mine and
>>Dick crawled under it. Turns out that there was a couple of issues under
>>there that may have really scred something up if they had come loose on the
>>trail.
>>
>>I dont mind so much because we generally try to avoid doing anything on
>>three day weekends anyway. Too much booze, too many idiots.
>>In the neantime, I have everything ready to go except the food bax. That's
>>not so bad!
>>
>>I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!
>>
>>K.

. ..