Short in a '53 M38A1

Old June 3rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
steve.newhouse

Default Short in a '53 M38A1

Hello,

I've got a rookie question for the veterans out there. I have a '53
M38A1 that runs very nicely except that I believe there is a short
circuit somewhere causing the battery to drain after about 24 to 48
hours. To prevent this, I added a removable battery post screw which
I take off when I park. This is a 24 volt system, it was not
converted to 12V.

I have read a lot of posts detailing how to tell if you have a short
and how to find out where it is. Each one I have read suggests
attaching a multimeter to watch the amps / current or a test light and
pulling fuses until the current drops off or the light goes out.
That's fine, except this jeep does not have a fuse box (or any fuses
at all). One symptom which may help anyone who knows the M38A1 is
that my headlights will sometimes just turn off when I'm driving at
night (!!!) and then turn back on again when I kick the high beam foot
switch a few times (but sometimes not even then). So I'm thinking the
short is likely related to this symptom. Anyways- any tips here for
finding shorts in an old wiring system like this (and a 24V one at
that)???

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old June 3rd 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Just a thought,

If it drains a good / fully charged battery in 1-2 days, then there is a
significant current draw, that could rise the temperature of the defective
part.
Check for warm relays or wiring or switches, to find the problem.

Regards,
Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'96 XJ,
'06 TJ.

Old June 3rd 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

Dont know if this helps, but I had the same thing with lights in my 87
Ford F150, changed the floor button and never had a problem again.

Old June 3rd 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

I have never had the pleasure of any Jeep that old but lots of practice
on electrical systems of the era.

This is a generator based system, there are about 3 major items hooked
up when the engine is off: the starter switch /starter solenoid, the
light switch, and the voltage cutout relay in the voltage regulator. The
24 to 48 hour drain time would make me think you have a stuck relay in
the voltage regulator. Disconnect the line from battery to regulator and
see what happens.

Your headlight problem would indicate that a new light switch would be
in order no matter what. It could very well be that the switch is a mass
of corrosion and it is feeding a small amount of power to a light
somewhere. If that switch has a panel light dimmer, look there.

Old June 3rd 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I will second that and add that there are some poorly built aftermarket
switches out there so even going to a dealer might be better for the part.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old June 3rd 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

On Jun 3, 1:11*pm, "steve.newhouse" > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a rookie question for the veterans out there. *I have a '53
> M38A1 that runs very nicely except that I believe there is a short
> circuit somewhere causing the battery to drain after about 24 to 48
> hours. *To prevent this, I added a removable battery post screw which
> I take off when I park. *This is a 24 volt system, it was not
> converted to 12V.
>
> I have read a lot of posts detailing how to tell if you have a short
> and how to find out where it is. *Each one I have read suggests
> attaching a multimeter to watch the amps / current or a test light and
> pulling fuses until the current drops off or the light goes out.
> That's fine, except this jeep does not have a fuse box (or any fuses
> at all). *One symptom which may help anyone who knows the M38A1 is
> that my headlights will sometimes just turn off when I'm driving at
> night (!!!) and then turn back on again when I kick the high beam foot
> switch a few times (but sometimes not even then). *So I'm thinking the
> short is likely related to this symptom. *Anyways- any tips here for
> finding shorts in an old wiring system like this (and a 24V one at
> that)???
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve

Sounds like your light switch may be shorting to ground. You could
try disconnecting that over night to see if the battery no longer gets
drained.
Old June 3rd 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

Old June 5th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
steve.newhouse

Thanks so much for the help guys, I will try your suggestions over the
weekend and see what I can find out.

M38A1 -- Idle's OK, Stalls on Acceleration steve.newhouse Jeep 16 August 29th 07 09:03 PM
M38A1 & A 1964 CJ Dan[_4_] 4x4 0 July 21st 06 10:38 PM
FS:1954 M38A1 & A 1964 CJ Dan[_4_] Jeep 0 July 21st 06 10:25 PM
M38A1 for sale Chrispy_Cracker Jeep 0 June 13th 05 04:00 AM
M38A1 electrical Thom Jeep 6 June 11th 05 10:53 PM