92 YJ New Fuel Pump - No Pressure

Old June 4th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
KH

Default 92 YJ New Fuel Pump - No Pressure

I recently installed a new fuel pump in my 92 YJ 4.0L. After getting
everything back together the Jeep started right up and I drove it
around with no issues. After parking it would not start again. I
pulled the sending line and turn the key on. I could hear the fuel
pump start but no fuel was coming out. I pulled the return line and
turned the key on and fuel came out of the sending line. I reconnected
the lines and the Jeep started again. After driving and parking I was
able to restart it. I came out the next day and it wouldn't start
again. I tried the previous steps but no luck. When I turn the key on
I hear the fuel pump start but no fuel is coming from the sending
line.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old June 4th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_6_]

Didja replace the fuel filter too?

Kate
2O|||||||O6 Rubicon
With a coupla flammywhammers bolted onto it.

Old June 4th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
KH

Yes, fuel filter has been replaced.

I pulled the line before the fuel filter and no fuel comes out when
key is turned on and fuel pump starts.
Old June 4th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
KH

On Jun 4, 2:20*pm, "L.W.\(ßill\)Hughes III"
> wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
> * * May be a bad check valve allowing the fuel to lose pressure and drain
> back to the tank. Try turning on the key, listen for the pump to stop then
> off and back on again for another six or more times to re-pressurize the
> injector log.
> * * * * God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> * * * *
> *http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

Will give it a try.

Where is the check valve located on a YJ?

Thanks.

Old June 4th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

KH wrote:
> I recently installed a new fuel pump in my 92 YJ 4.0L. After getting
> everything back together the Jeep started right up and I drove it
> around with no issues. After parking it would not start again. I
> pulled the sending line and turn the key on. I could hear the fuel
> pump start but no fuel was coming out. I pulled the return line and
> turned the key on and fuel came out of the sending line. I reconnected
> the lines and the Jeep started again. After driving and parking I was
> able to restart it. I came out the next day and it wouldn't start
> again. I tried the previous steps but no luck. When I turn the key on
> I hear the fuel pump start but no fuel is coming from the sending
> line.
>
> Any ideas?

Ok.. ya confused me. (which isn't that hard to do but anyway)

This sounds like a kinked/pinched or blocked return line.

Just to make sure. (helps to have a gas can or hose to do this
test so you don't waste fuel)

Pull the line after the fuel filter, have someone turn the
ignition to on so the pump primes. Make sure the fuel is
going to the engine and not the other way around. (from what I
remember the connectors prevent you from hooking up the pump
backwards, but check anyway) If fuel comes from the engine
side than something is backwards.

The return port on the fuel rail is across from the pressure
regulator at the front of the fuel rail.

Another remote possiblity is that somehow the fuel tank vent
is stuck. Take the gas cap off next time it does this.
Usually though this only causes problems on trips long enough
to drain a gallon or two out of the gas tank.

Check the tank to make sure the return line didn't get pinched.

--
DougW

Old June 5th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
KH

On Jun 4, 2:35 pm, KH > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2:20 pm, "L.W.\(ßill\)Hughes III"
>
> > wrote:
> > Hi Kevin,
> > May be a bad check valve allowing the fuel to lose pressure and drain
> > back to the tank. Try turning on the key, listen for the pump to stop then
> > off and back on again for another six or more times to re-pressurize the
> > injector log.
> > God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> >
> > http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

> Will give it a try.
>
> Where is the check valve located on a YJ?
>
> Thanks.

Okay, tried turning the key on and off.

The fuel pump will start the first few times but then won't start
again unless I let it sit for a while or crank it over.

I have a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail and I'm not
getting any pressure no matter what I try.

I disconnected the lines at the fuel rail and I was able to blow air
down the return line and it sounded like bubbles were making it to the
tank so I think it's clear.

I did notice that the fuel gauge is stuck at Full. Not sure if that
means anything.

The fuel pump, fuel tank vapor vents, and hoses from the tank to the
fuel lines are all new.

Could it be a bad fuel pump even though it's new and sounds like it
starts when I turn the key on?

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to drop the tank again but it looks
like I might have to check things out again.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Old June 5th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

KH wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2:35 pm, KH > wrote:
>> On Jun 4, 2:20 pm, "L.W.\(ßill\)Hughes III"
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> Hi Kevin,
>>> May be a bad check valve allowing the fuel to lose pressure and drain
>>> back to the tank. Try turning on the key, listen for the pump to stop then
>>> off and back on again for another six or more times to re-pressurize the
>>> injector log.
>>> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
>>>
>>> http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

>> Will give it a try.
>>
>> Where is the check valve located on a YJ?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Okay, tried turning the key on and off.
>
> The fuel pump will start the first few times but then won't start
> again unless I let it sit for a while or crank it over.
>
> I have a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail and I'm not
> getting any pressure no matter what I try.
>
> I disconnected the lines at the fuel rail and I was able to blow air
> down the return line and it sounded like bubbles were making it to the
> tank so I think it's clear.
>
> I did notice that the fuel gauge is stuck at Full. Not sure if that
> means anything.
>
> The fuel pump, fuel tank vapor vents, and hoses from the tank to the
> fuel lines are all new.
>
> Could it be a bad fuel pump even though it's new and sounds like it
> starts when I turn the key on?
>
> I was hoping that I wouldn't have to drop the tank again but it looks
> like I might have to check things out again.

Dunno about the 92 YJ, but does it have an override switch that turns
the pump off in a couple seconds if it detects no line pressure? Know
newer systems do.

If you get bubbles, that would seem to eliminate a vacuum lock on the
supply side. How close to the pump outlet can you get, to check flow?

Old June 5th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Spdloader wrote:

> Could it be a bad fuel pump even though it's new and sounds like it
> starts when I turn the key on?

It's looking closer to a problem like missing the baffles and pinching
the supply line that's down in the tank. That's an issue with the
93 ZJ and might be the same in the 92YJ since it borrowed quite a bit.
The service book is real picky about getting the pump orientation perfect.

--
DougW

Old June 6th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ULB

On Jun 5, 4:32*pm, Terry Dactille >
wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:24:43 -0700, "L.W.\(ßill\)Hughes III"
>
> > wrote:
> >Hi Steve,
> > * *Many times a ground wire is forgotten when re installing the fuel tank,
> >that would make the pump run intermittently.
> > * * * *God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> > * * *
> > *http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

> Sounds like something you have done before!
>
> What did you do think it was an extra ground strap and left it off???
>
> Now that sounds reasonable 59, guess your papyrus writings are from
> actual experience.

> *I was required to take the officer's test, while in Advanced
> Individual Training, which means I have a 59 IQ, and you didn't!
> * * * * *God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> * * * *
> * *http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

For a second. I thought somehow you guys kissed and made up. It
was almost civil. <damnit Jim, the catalytic converter is ****ed, and
we are plummeting into Planet ABCXYZ - Series 11).

Care and luck,
Old June 6th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ULB

On Jun 5, 9:59*pm, ULB > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 4:32*pm, Terry Dactille >
> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:24:43 -0700, "L.W.\(ßill\)Hughes III"

> > > wrote:
> > >Hi Steve,
> > > * *Many times a ground wire is forgotten when re installing the fuel tank,
> > >that would make the pump run intermittently.
> > > * * * *God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> > > * * *
> > > *http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

> > Sounds like something you have done before!

> > What did you do think it was an extra ground strap and left it off???

> > Now that sounds reasonable 59, guess your papyrus writings are from
> > actual experience.

> > *I was required to take the officer's test, while in Advanced
> > Individual Training, which means I have a 59 IQ, and you didn't!
> > * * * * *God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> > * * * *
> > * *http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

> For a second. *I thought somehow you guys kissed and made up. * *It
> was almost civil. *<damnit Jim, the catalytic converter is ****ed, and
> we are plummeting into Planet ABCXYZ - Series 11).
>
> Care and luck,- Hide quoted text -

Awww. Shucks, that was actually meant for Pink Freud, but I guess you
2 being brothers, can you help me and pass the message?

Care and luck,