Got the ignition coil recall notice ...

Old October 28th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

Default Got the ignition coil recall notice ...

Or more formally, "Voluntary Emissions Service Action 28F3/P1."

No specifics about what models or engines are covered, just "some
Volkswagen vehicles."

Someone asked earlier about reimbursement to people who had already
suffered coil failure and paid for replacement; there's a "Customer
Campaign Reimbursement Claim Form" included, although they don't make
any mention of it in the cover letter.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old October 28th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

So far it seems only the 1.8T coils have had the letter sent.
Check the coil and if it is not one of a certain group of OK coils, replace
it

Old October 28th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

In "LG" > wrote:

> So far it seems only the 1.8T coils have had the letter sent.
> Check the coil and if it is not one of a certain group of OK coils,
> replace it

Hidden away on the reimbursement form is reference to
http://www.vwcoils.com.

If you click "Is My Vehicle Affected" on the left menu, you'll be able
to enter the year, model and engine of your car (which will show up only
if it's actually affected) and you'll see a range of dates over which
you should expect to get the letter.

For my '02 Passat 1.8T, the range is from Oct. 2009 to Sep. 2010, so
they're giving themselves a lot of elbow room.

Old October 28th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

LG wrote:
> So far it seems only the 1.8T coils have had the letter sent.
> Check the coil and if it is not one of a certain group of OK coils, replace
> it

Reading through Volkswagen forums on www.vwvortex.com, someone posted
the following URL:
http://www.vwcoils.com
That's a site that Volkswagen created for information about the ignition
coil recall. There's an option on the left that says "Is My Vehicle
Affected?", and for models with the 2.5L engine, it lists the
notification date as March 2010 - August 2010.

For cars that have a potentially significant problem, that seems like a
long wait for a notification letter and fix. VW has said that there is
a shortage of new ignition coils; however, since VW has known about this
problem for quite a while, I'd think they would be more prepared for it.

I'd think that a car company would want to fix serious issues like this
quickly, but 2001-2007 is quite a while - That implies that VW has sold
quite a few cars that might have this ignition coil issue.

I always used to hear that VWs were known for reliability, and I own a
VW myself (a 2009 Rabbit), so it's disappointing to think that they've
had a problem like this for so long.

Eric
Old October 29th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Wow, so this isn't a flashback to 2002!

nate

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In "LG" > wrote:
>
>> So far it seems only the 1.8T coils have had the letter sent.
>> Check the coil and if it is not one of a certain group of OK coils,
>> replace it

> Hidden away on the reimbursement form is reference to
> http://www.vwcoils.com.
>
> If you click "Is My Vehicle Affected" on the left menu, you'll be able
> to enter the year, model and engine of your car (which will show up only
> if it's actually affected) and you'll see a range of dates over which
> you should expect to get the letter.
>
> For my '02 Passat 1.8T, the range is from Oct. 2009 to Sep. 2010, so
> they're giving themselves a lot of elbow room.
>
>> "Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
>>> Or more formally, "Voluntary Emissions Service Action 28F3/P1."
>>>
>>> No specifics about what models or engines are covered, just "some
>>> Volkswagen vehicles."
>>>
>>> Someone asked earlier about reimbursement to people who had already
>>> suffered coil failure and paid for replacement; there's a "Customer
>>> Campaign Reimbursement Claim Form" included, although they don't make
>>> any mention of it in the cover letter.

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 29th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
In2hoppn

> I always used to hear that VWs were known for reliability, and I own a
> VW myself (a 2009 Rabbit), so it's disappointing to think that they've
> had a problem like this for so long.

When / where did you use to hear THAT?
: )

Old October 29th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

The mailings will be done in batches and so far the ones released seem to be
only for the 1.8T

Old October 29th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Eric O.

In2hoppn wrote:
>> I always used to hear that VWs were known for reliability, and I own a
>> VW myself (a 2009 Rabbit), so it's disappointing to think that they've
>> had a problem like this for so long.

> When / where did you use to hear THAT?
> : )

From many different people, including people who owned VWs, in the 80s
through mid 90s or so.
Old October 29th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

In Bert Hyman
> wrote:

> there's a "Customer Campaign Reimbursement Claim Form" included,
> although they don't make any mention of it in the cover letter.

Umm... well... it's on the back.

The front looked rather complete, so I never bothered to turn it over.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old October 30th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Erik Dillenkofer[_2_]

Nah, the 80's weren't any good either. I only got 18 years and 314,000 miles
on my '83 GTI before I sold it (with the original engine) ... and bought my
'01 Jetta TDI which now has 200,000 miles on it. :-)

Ignition Coil [email protected] BMW 7 February 2nd 07 10:48 AM
Recall notice received Leon van Dommelen Mazda 17 May 15th 06 12:51 PM
E46 & E 39 Coil recall? JimmyG BMW 6 November 7th 05 06:32 PM
Ignition coil. Tony Wilkinson VW air cooled 2 October 30th 04 04:26 PM
Anyone get a recall notice for their '02? knagy389us Ford Explorer 2 October 24th 04 03:22 PM