134a Refrigerant

Old June 4th 05, 05:48 PM
Rich Hampel

Default 134a Refrigerant

OK, perhaps the eco-nazis have done us in again.
In the NE yesterday I tried to get some R134a ..... and NO ONE in
western NJ, Eastern Penna. or Delaware has any ...... ???????
I can get it online from Florida .... at about 400% above the 'normal'
price.
I know the manufacturer, duPont, has had problems in production and
legal - as they are appraently having GREAT legal problems with all
their Fluorine based products. The production problems started last
year but duPont advised that all would be 'remedied' by December 2004.

Any suggestions; or, should I just bite the bullet and find some
bootleg R12 and switch back?
Old June 4th 05, 06:44 PM
Robb S via CarKB.com

thats really strange to hear. Also, du pont is not the only one who makes
134a, just a perticular brand of 134a. Try a wholesale refrigeration shop
or sales house. Or try Schucks or Napa online, and you could probably
order it and have it sent to your house. I know here in washington state,
I can walk into the parts store (did the other day) and they have shelves
full of 134a....
--
Robb

Old June 4th 05, 06:45 PM
Robb S via CarKB.com

by the way, R-12 right now is going for about $900.00 a pound, so I don't
think you want to go back to that.
--
Robb

Old June 4th 05, 08:05 PM
DougW

Rich Hampel did pass the time by typing:
> OK, perhaps the eco-nazis have done us in again.
> In the NE yesterday I tried to get some R134a ..... and NO ONE in
> western NJ, Eastern Penna. or Delaware has any ...... ???????

> Any suggestions; or, should I just bite the bullet and find some
> bootleg R12 and switch back?

for one.

<http://store.lenzdist.com/product.php?xProd=717&xSec=1&jssCart=5bae8222d14c2 f0da746a044b3610ef4>

http://tinyurl.com/bkbrj

--
DougW

Old June 4th 05, 08:20 PM
Jeff Strickland

I hadn't heard that there was any problem with making R134, and I am
surprised that anybody is reporting trouble finding it.

And, I agree, going back to R12 isn't gonna happen. It's very expensive, and
there are seriouis compatibility issues that add to the cost. I think one is
going to spend the summer with the windows rolled down before one goes back
to R12.

Old June 4th 05, 08:29 PM

I buy refrigerants exclusively from refrigeration houses, and there
134A is in no shortage.

Old June 4th 05, 09:26 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I used to retail R12 for a buck a can.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 4th 05, 09:36 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"Robb S via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> R-12 right now is going for about $900.00 a pound

you were exaggerating to make a point, right?

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old June 4th 05, 09:38 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"Rich Hampel" > wrote in message
> Any suggestions; or, should I just bite the bullet and find some
> bootleg R12 and switch back?

btw, if i _were_ going to convert from 134a it would be to either 414b or
416a, not 12.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old June 4th 05, 10:33 PM
Robb S via CarKB.com

Not at all. Refrigerant R-12 in the usa, Washington state anyways, is
going around roughly $800-$900 us dollars per pound. It's the number 1
smuggled item across the mexican border besides drugs I am told by people
in the industry.
--
Robb